• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow or Marsh Tit? (1 Viewer)

HudsonBoy

I know, I know...

Opinions please on this bird, seen in a known area for Willow Tit (but also Marsh Tit). It was not heard to call

The Nov 2009 BB article Separation of Willow Tit and Marsh Tit in Britain: a review concluded that "bill marks offer the most objective and reliable visual means of separation."

"Broughton et al. (2008a) found a significant difference in markings on the bill, but not as previously described: both species displayed pale cutting edges to the lower mandible, but 97% of Marsh Tits showed a pale mark on the upper mandible, on the bill sides below the nostril, which was lacking on 96% of Willow Tits. This characteristic mark appears to be the single most reliable and objective physical feature for separating Marsh Tits and Willow Tits, although it may be very difficult to see in the field. It is often readily apparent in photographs, however, although note that reflected light may obscure or mimic the feature"

This bird appears to show a thin pale edge to the cutting edge of both mandibles but lacks the characteristic white mark on the upper mandible that would make this an obvious MT. The head is not as bull-necked as I would expect for WT but the upright angle of the bird in the photos may be responsible for this. The cheek is extensive and not divided into two distinct white and coloured areas. Not shown, the tertials also show some but not extensive pale edging that contrast with the darker mantle

Your thoughts please! Thx

Huds

Attachments

• P1000463_2 BF.jpg
    P1000463_2 BF.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 133
  • P1000464_2 BFR.jpg
    P1000464_2 BFR.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 127
On the other hand... No trace of a bill spot which I think would be visible in this light, and no abrupt contrast between white ear coverts and nape, more of a gradation. Bet I'm wrong though...

Last edited:
I'm not an expert but might I just wondered if the black cap extending to the nape not as far as one could expectif it is a Willow tit.
I might be wrong though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back