• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Spreadwing - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Scridifer

Used Registrar
Supporter
Bulgaria
I think I'm right in saying this is a female Willow Spreadwing. Am I also right in thinking there is no way of being sure if it is Eastern or Western without detailed examination of the ovipositor? Taken this morning near Obzor not far from the Black Sea coast.

TIA,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_5664cLthumb.JPG
    IMG_5664cLthumb.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5655cLthumb.JPG
    IMG_5655cLthumb.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 14
I think I'm right in saying this is a female Willow Spreadwing. Am I also right in thinking there is no way of being sure if it is Eastern or Western without detailed examination of the ovipositor? Taken this morning near Obzor not far from the Black Sea coast.

TIA,

Chris

When I went on a Naturetrek tour of Bulgaria we saw female Eastern Willow Spreadwing (Chalcolestes parvidens) based on geographical location. I attempted a photo of the appendages but you would need to have a hand held individual to get the detail of the number of teeth on the ovipositor!

When I went on a Naturetrek tour of Bulgaria we saw female Eastern Willow Spreadwing (Chalcolestes parvidens) based on geographical location. I attempted a photo of the appendages but you would need to have a hand held individual to get the detail of the number of teeth on the ovipositor!

Thanks Paul, that confirms my understanding. As a matter of interest do you recall whereabouts you saw them?

Chris

It was at River Deimindero Byelgradets but I'm afraid I don't have a coordinate as I decided that for once in my life other people could take me to see dragonflies rather than me find them for other people!

Attached my best photo of a female - no chance of an ID from the content!

Attachments

• 600D_23956.jpg
    600D_23956.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
No - the trip was a bit too late in June so there was only an outside chance!

Shame! Still, a good excuse to come here again!

If it's of any interest Yordan Kutsarov from Odonata.org says it must be C. parvidens on location.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back