• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow warbler? Basra Province Iraq (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Id help please. I am thinking this is a willow warbler from its yellow-greenish tinge, eyebrow stripe, pink lower mandible. However, I am not sure if the dark legs and pinkish feet work. But I expect to be corrected:)
Taken September 17 at about 3pm at the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in Iraq. It was in a small bush a foot from the river. It was quite still, just moving its head from side to side, for about 10 minutes, sitting on the small branch. No sound.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
steveDSCN1322.JPGDSCN1322.JPG

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1268.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1268.jpeg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 31
  • fullsizeoutput_1266.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1266.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1347.JPG
    DSCN1347.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
While I'm not familiar with the birds of your region (and I've not seen Bonelli's) this does look like a Willow Warbler. As Roland says, leg colour isn't absolutely reliable and it's better to look at structure (the primary projection). I posted several photos of a dark-legged Willow Warbler in August 2019, eg this.

Last edited:
Thank you Roland, John and Pat very much for taking the time to comment, very much appreciated. I will keep a look out for primary projections in the future. This is a lifer for me so really appreciate all the comments.
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back