• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Windows 11? (1 Viewer)

Butty

Sounds like a cosmetic exercise with no purpose other than to consolidate an income-stream. That's the free market for you 👎🏼

Butty

In other words it'll be like a phone app... It'll be updated on a (i.e. the manufacturer's) whim, you'll have no control over that, and you'll probably pay a subscription for the privilege. Brave new world, innit.

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
Windows 11 details

Most of the functionality changes are to do with further integration with Office 365 and Teams, firmly aimed at the business user.

The start menu moves to the middle, presumably to work better on tablets, there are other more tablet friendly additions.

A curious new thing is the ability to run Android apps. The UI might be interesting running an app designed for a 5" portrait touchscreen on a 27" 4K landscape monitor with a mouse and keyboard.

It is a free upgrade and there is a checker app to see if you can run it. But if your computer is more than a year old I doubt it.

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
As someone responsible for supporting around 11,000 windows computers I'm looking forward to the promised improvements to the management features.
The move of the Windows/Start button is interesting; I suspect it's more to do with the competition from MacOS rather than anything else. Windows 10 has a different tablet mode already. (Though not much used tbh)

kb57

Europe
Really time now to get a new (2ndhand) computer where I can install Linux on.
A few years ago I brought an old desktop (with a Pentium D processor) back to life with Linux Mint, when it used to run Windows XP at a glacial pace. It was the more resource-intensive Cinnamon edition too. The only reason I didn't go full on Linux was the need to run Word and Excel with full compatibility for documents and spreadsheets. QGIS worked great on Linux, and music player software was good too.

YuShan

hikingbirdman.com
United Kingdom
Main thing is that W11 apparently cannot be installed anymore without internet and a Microsoft account. So we need to see if proper hacks are available when W10 stops updating.

Main thing is that W11 apparently cannot be installed anymore without internet and a Microsoft account. So we need to see if proper hacks are available when W10 stops updating.
It can be.

The beta may not allow it (not sure) but the final will.

In the beta, you can disconnect from the Internet during setup and it will allow a local account.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread