• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Windy hour at Newhaven (1 Viewer)

Had a curtailed visit to Newhaven,20 minutes from us ,think that is fairly local needed some sea air, birds seen were mainly Gulls,Jackdaws and Pigeons a bit of interest in the Rock Pipits, Stonechats and Fulmars but think the waves crashing into the harbour arm were the highlight ,Spectacular
Full details and Pics on the blog at the link

Of Birds & Cake the Blog of Paul (birdsandcake122.blogspot.com)

Cheers

Hi Paul,

There's nothing like a walk along the coast on a crisp day. We've had some beautiful days 'round here (County Durham) over the last couple of weeks and the walk along the cliffs looking out to the sea is just magic. As for needing some sea air: we're living in strange times and being cooked up in house is not good for anyone, a walk in the fresh air brings virtually zero chance of picking up the virus, entirely different to being at close quarters with people indoors. 'Not good to stay inside for more than usual.

As I was walking back across the cliffs on Christmas Eve, there was a right old blizzard, as bad as I've seen for a long time. 'Looked down onto the beach and there was a flock of waders all stood on the beach with no shelter whatsoever. 'Wasn't close enough to see what they were and conditions far too torrential to get the camera out, but they were some hardy birds!

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

There's nothing like a walk along the coast on a crisp day. We've had some beautiful days 'round here (County Durham) over the last couple of weeks and the walk along the cliffs looking out to the sea is just magic. As for needing some sea air: we're living in strange times and being cooked up in house is not good for anyone, a walk in the fresh air brings virtually zero chance of picking up the virus, entirely different to being at close quarters with people indoors. 'Not good to stay inside for more than usual.

As I was walking back across the cliffs on Christmas Eve, there was a right old blizzard, as bad as I've seen for a long time. 'Looked down onto the beach and there was a flock of waders all stood on the beach with no shelter whatsoever. 'Wasn't close enough to see what they were and conditions far too torrential to get the camera out, but they were some hardy birds!

Cheers,
Paul
Yes a windy walk on the coast is definitely good for the morale, not sure how the tier 4 restrictions will effect my chances ,I know you have to stay local, nearest coast from me is about 25 minutes so probably pushing the limits? So will probably stick to walks in and around the local village!

I'm slightly more clear cut this time round. I'm about 30 mins drive from the coast, and made the drive for a couple of long walks in November "lockdown". This time, however, I'm in tier 4.. and the coast plus New Forest, is tier 3, so definitely out of bounds for me now. Local walks!

In fact, the rules for tier 4 even say "don't drive outside your village/town/city, except for essential activities", (long local walks!)

Last edited:
Yes a windy walk on the coast is definitely good for the morale, not sure how the tier 4 restrictions will effect my chances ,I know you have to stay local, nearest coast from me is about 25 minutes so probably pushing the limits? So will probably stick to walks in and around the local village!

Aye, we're in tier 3 at the moment. If we go to tier 4 then I'll follow the guidelines whatever they are, which I have done to this point. 'Too much at stake. The coast is 10 minutes for me so fine at the moment. I agree with your point about being compliant in this situation: the only way we'll get out of this is if far more people follow what scientists are advising, or, on the other hand, a vaccine saves us. Ultimately though, whatever happens staying cooked up in the house will send people mad.

I'm slightly more clear cut this time round. I'm about 30 mins drive from the coast, and made the drive for a couple of long walks in November "lockdown". This time, however, I'm in tier 4.. and the coast plus New Forest, is tier 3, so definitely out of bounds for me now. Local walks!

In fact, the rules for tier 4 even say "don't drive outside your village/town/city, except for essential activities", (long local walks!)

Hi Peter,

I'm pretty confident they don't have the balance right here, and we're all being subject to draconian restrictions because a large minority in our country have proven themselves to be unwilling and incapable of adhering to simple, basic guidelines that will undoubtedly keep some people alive: such as social distancing. There is a world of difference between mixing indoors for prolonged periods of time and going for a drive on your own and then walking.

The pub is a decent example of how the large minority have ruined it for the rest of us. On a Saturday and Sunday afternoon I was stopping off for a pint in a country pub after bird watching. These pubs followed everything to the letter, they couldn't possibly have done more: and I'd imagine at their own expense. I was walking into the pub with a mask on, ordering a beer with no one anywhere near me and going straight to the beer garden and the pint was brought out for me. Very, very low risk. And, this is someone's livelihood with a family and bills to pay. Contrast that with some town and city centre pubs, and from what I've been told in some of these places it's been a complete free for all. In fact, the first outbreak around here in August was due to 300 people cramming into a social club for beer and karaoke for a few hours when they had been told not to do that. The problem the government have is that there is no use in shutting down those pubs and keeping country pubs open because the large minority will simply relocate to those pubs. As I say, the large minority who can't be trusted ruining it for the rest of us and causing far more damage beyond that.

It's been a bit of an eye-opener really. I never imagined we have so many people in this country who simply do not care about the people around them even in a situation as serious as this. I believe the Oxford vaccine is to be rolled out from the 4th January so let's hope we get back to normal soon and in the meantime as many people as possible stay safe.

Cheers,
Paul

On the subject of Newhaven, I often use the Dieppe ferry, for marine life surveys, or the occasional family holiday to France.. I once saw a Nightjar fly over the ferry queue just after dusk. Made a total prat of myself shouting Nightjar to my family and about 40 other car loads of holiday makers.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back