• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wing for ID, Flamborough, England (1 Viewer)

Hello Brett,
I agree that pictures of the upperside would be helpfull.
But: first gut feeling is female Anas Duck, where dirted, wet feathers complicate matters. And why not a Eurasian Teal with this wing leng?

Hello Brett,
I agree that pictures of the upperside would be helpfull.
But: first gut feeling is female Anas Duck, where dirted, wet feathers complicate matters. And why not a Eurasian Teal with this wing leng?
The wing is much too large for Teal, or even Mallard, and the pattern is wrong anyway. The wing length would fit Bittern (296-357mm) and this was my first thought, but the pattern is not right for that species anyway, which has solid brown primary tips. Wing too big for Grey Partridge or Pheasant. I haven't done too much research yet. I thought I would do it the lazy way and post it on here!

Brett

It’s rather manky and battered (and faded)! I wonder if it is a juvenile/imm Herring Gull? I agree it is too large for a teal.

Meaning... wing-bend to tip of longest primary, as in museum/ringer measurement? - not really sure how you could measure that!
Or from one end of this scraggy bit of bird to the other?! Or...?
Yes, I know what wing length is, and I measured it as well as I could, taking into account the state of it. I didn't think it would be so much of a problem to ID. I will collect it this afternnon if it's still there.

Collected the wing this afternoon, and as I had begun to suspect, I seem to have completely misinterpreted things. What I took to be the outer wing, appears to be the inner wing (secondaries). Attched to the ulna/radius there are 10 or 11 main feathers plus 2 or 3 coverts. This means it can't be a gull, which have 20-22 secondaries. The three large feathers on the left in the attached photo are presumably primaries, but not really sure of anything. Still no further on.

Brett
035.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back