• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winged Eyecups for EL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I really like my EL 8x32 FP binoculars and haven't noticed any problems with veiling glare. However, I sometimes have an issue with sunlight reflecting in the eyepiece when it is to the side of or behind me. This is especially the case on a winter's day like today when the sun was bright but low in the sky.

I can overcome it by moving my forefinger on the appropriate side to block out the stray light but this is not very convenient. I wondered if the Swarovski Winged Eyecup Set would help.

Has anybody used them with the EL 8x32 and, if so, how well do they work? Do they clip over the existing eyecups and, if so, do they stay in place or do they move about? At about £25 they are not cheap but if they work they could be worth it to me.

Ron

Ron,

I suffered the eyepiece reflection issue with my 8x32EL for years before trying winged eyecups. Whilst it's not a big issue it can be annoyingly distracting at times. First I tried the Focal Optic eyecups; don't be tempted as I didn't find them a good fit (tried both small & large sizes). I bought the Swarovski set complete with rainguard and haven't taken them off since. Material value is rather poor as you intimate, but they are typically well made from quality silicon rubber which is soft and comfortable against the face. The rainguard looks and feels cheap but it fits well and does its job effectively. They simply stretch over the binocular eyecups and fit securely in place, the rubber rings gripping the exposed metal barrels of the extended eyecups tightly. They can be difficult to use and get used to at first but once you've got them adjusted to your eyecup setting and IPD they really do work well, removing those pesky reflections, giving slightly increased contrast and a more immersive view. Yes, an expensive accessory on the face of it but I think you'll find them worthwhile.

RB

Last edited:
Thank you for your review Rotherbirder. I found a nice little video by Swarovski yesterday, which shows the construction of the eye cups and how to fit them. After viewing this I decided to order a set from Uttings and they should be arriving tomorrow. I am looking forward to testing them to see how I get on with them.

Ron

The "Horned Eye Cups" that came with my Nikon EDGs will work with the eye cups on my Zeiss Victory 7x42 T* FL in the down position.. There is plenty of eye relief when using them. :t: They stretch easy and stay tight.

The same goes with my Swarovski SLC 7x42B--again, the SLC's Eye cups must be in the down position. Likewise with my Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline.

They will also work with my Nikon Monarch 8x42. Its eye cups are a bit long for a perfect fit with the Horned Eye Cups but they stretch and stay tight enough to work.

Bob

Last edited:
My Swarovski Winged Eyecup set arrived yesterday, less than 24 hours after ordering (well done Uttings and DPD couriers.) They are better than I was expecting, although the rainguard is a little floppier than the original.

They were easy to fit, simply stretching over the eyecups, and appear to stay in place well. Luckily I seem to have fitted them in the right place straight away as they feel more comfortable against my eye sockets than I expected. It is dull today without any sunshine, so I haven't had a chance to try them properly yet but they feel as if they should work to cut out the annoying reflections from the sun.

The only downside I can see at the moment is that I cannot retract the eyecups and use the rainguard when I store them in the case, so they are a tighter fit than before. Obviously they are also completely useless for anyone who uses eyeglasses with their binoculars.

Ron

Binobandits are good and fit many models and can be grip pup up and down depending what you need.
https://alpineproducts.com/product/bino-bandit-glare-blocker/
They’re available from manny outlets.
I have a set mounted on my Nikon 8x30E2, but they’ll fit most similar bins (just not my jumbo 70mm pair!).

Peter

Peter,

Agree, Binobandit is an excellent alternative. I have used SW winged eyecups and Field Optics foldable eye shields as well but prefer the Binobandit. While it may look strange and seem fiddly at first, once you get them properly adjusted for your bins and face, they are much easier and better to use and much more versatile. In fact, mine work perfectly fully deployed when wearing 52mm aviator style sunglasses, a real plus especially for people who have to wear glasses all the time. Or of course they can also be flipped down if preferred when using glasses or to avoid fogging.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back