• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2022 (1 Viewer)

The live sections can be good when they're bringing in some scientific/technical explanation about something. And the best bits are the little films that take advantage of good photography and editing.

But I've never been a fan of the "let's see what's on the live camera now" sections. I think these are just to fill space. I'm not a fan of the anthropomorphism either, but we need to be careful that we don't make the programme so serious that we lose a sense of the personality and passion of the presenters.

Parts are quite good but parts are dire. I agree about the rat and all the nonsense about the Kinks. I’m not keen on giving animals human traits and conversations either. However, I appreciate it is probably a light entertainment programme rather than a serious nature one.
When you study groups of animals for any time - higher vertebrates we're talking here - you quickly discover that where you can consistently identify individuals they have personalities. So while I agree you can take the trait things too far, you can also argue that mentioning personality related things (traits) in relation to animals is just associating humans more closely - and correctly - with animals and chopping down, correctly, the idea that humans are different from, or superior to animals. In other words they are not assigning human traits they are recognising humans are just animals with particularly developed brains that exaggerate personality.

It might be worth a few minutes introspection to consider whether you find the idea that you are more like a rat than you want be disturbing. And why.

John

When you study groups of animals for any time - higher vertebrates we're talking here - you quickly discover that where you can consistently identify individuals they have personalities. So while I agree you can take the trait things too far, you can also argue that mentioning personality related things (traits) in relation to animals is just associating humans more closely - and correctly - with animals and chopping down, correctly, the idea that humans are different from, or superior to animals. In other words they are not assigning human traits they are recognising humans are just animals with particularly developed brains that exaggerate personality.

It might be worth a few minutes introspection to consider whether you find the idea that you are more like a rat than you want be disturbing. And why.

John
I like being ratt.

John

🤣

I am well aware that animals have personalities. Anyone who has been owned by a cat knows that.

It is the twee way the presenters talk about the animals that I find off putting. As I said, I appreciate it is light entertainment.

Nope, being like a rat doesn’t disturb me one jot. 😊

I'm with Chris. I think the rat with the kinked tail has been a good meal.

What an inspirational young man Alex is.

Getting very bored with the increasing use of sterile thermal, and notwithstanding that on one level it is clearly insightful.

I also feel CP (BBC Winterwatch) should be made to provide a clarification in the matter of a decline in Bewick’s swan numbers. Specifically that we do not hunt swan in the UK! Something the less than attuned viewer could be forgiven for considering otherwise unless you carefully review (22:55) the relevant dialogue between CP and Lee Marshall.

LGM

I find these thermal camera images very interesting. Wonderful seeing that stoat jumping around! And woodcock in the fields.
With you on that. Anything but sterile. Indeed there is something quite magical about what the technology achieves in deep darkness.

John

I was at Washington Wetlands the day that the film of that young man and his Mother was recorded for Winterwatch 2022 and I a photo from a distance of part of that film that was shown last night on Tuesday evening. I asked everyone if it was ok to take a photo and everyone said yes including the two remarkable individuals said yes as well.. I wont put the two photo’s onto this forum as the young man and his mother might not want to be seen on a public forum. The filming took place on the 8th December 2021.

That’s interesting, Ian. I had wondered if Alex would be interested in BF.
I regularly visit Washington Wetlands 3 days every week as it is so easy to get to by local buses. I visit Saltholme regularly on a Saturday. My RSPB Group started activities in June 2021. Then started the monthly Saturday all day trips, but at present just by car. My RSPB Group did book a coach for the first time since March 2020 this month of January 2022, but most of the members old and young where to nervous to travel to Cumbria and to the lesser well known RSPB reserve Campfield Marsh on the Cumbria coastline. In February the Saturday trip to Budle Bay on the Northumberland coast will be for car users. But I’ve always managed to get a lift in someone’s car sharing the petrol costs and I have got a lift for late February. I’ve never used my concessionary travel pass as much as I’ve done since April 2020 when allowed because of various lockdowns to go birdwatching. So my travel pass as got me using the local bus transport more than ever including visiting Washington Wetlands a few times every week. There is also Gosforth Park Reserve only open to members although non-members can get a day permit. Bitterns have wintered at Gosforth Park reserve for quite a lot of years. And of course some of my local county wildlife trust reserves as well I visit. So this coming Saturday I will be getting the first bus down to Middlesbrough Bus Sation which leaves Newcastle and then departs from the bus station near to where I live at 5.49am and then a connecting bus from Middlesbrough Bus Station and stops right outside the entrance to RSPB Saltholme. I do know that Alex and his Mother regularly visit Washington Wetlands and on occasions I have seen them. But don’t know them personally myself. For some reason in September and October 2021 the Kingfisher appeared on the logs close to the Saline Lagoon Hide every single day. And on the first two weeks of September 2021 it was on one of the logs close to that hide 90% of the time. Why? I don’t know! Although I’ve been birdwatching since I was five years old in 1958 and have seen Kingfishers on occasions over many years. I have never seen a Kingfisher appear 90% of the time every single day and there where lots of visitors to Washington Wetlands who saw there first ever sighting of a Kingfisher. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself is able to explain why that did happen!

Last edited:
For some reason in September and October 2021 the Kingfisher appeared on the logs close to the Saline Lagoon Hide every single day. And on the first two weeks of September 2021 it was on one of the logs close to that hide 90% of the time. Why? I don’t know! Although I’ve been birdwatching since I was five years old in 1958 and have seen Kingfishers on occasions over many years. I have never seen a Kingfisher appear 90% of the time every single day and there where lots of visitors to Washington Wetlands who saw there first ever sighting of a Kingfisher. Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself is able to explain why that did happen!
Could it have been defending a territory? It says here they contest territories from September: Kingfisher Breeding, Feeding and Territory - The RSPB

With you on that. Anything but sterile. Indeed there is something quite magical about what the technology achieves in deep darkness.

John
It’s ironic that you refer to thermal as “magical” as it’s precisely this aspect of our engagement with the great outdoors that I feel this technology has the potential to rob us of. As in I wish to continue wandering the woods, forests and meadows of this wee Isle in the belief that they retain a certain secrecy and mystery.

As stated I don’t contest thermal reveals things we might otherwise spend a lifetime hoping to see and never realise, but would you be so enthusiastic for hunters to be permitted access to such technology?

Just my view of course

LGM

It’s ironic that you refer to thermal as “magical” as it’s precisely this aspect of our engagement with the great outdoors that I feel this technology has the potential to rob us of. As in I wish to continue wandering the woods, forests and meadows of this wee Isle in the belief that they retain a certain secrecy and mystery.

As stated I don’t contest thermal reveals things we might otherwise spend a lifetime hoping to see and never realise, but would you be so enthusiastic for hunters to be permitted access to such technology?

Just my view of course

LGM
My experience is you can't prevent hunters or other undesirables making technological advances: all you can do is turn them to your own advantage. The Watches do that admirably and reach a significant portion of the population with their presentations.

Welcome to the 21st century!

John

Just my view of course

LGLGM
They ( hunters ) have been using them for many years now and their " kit " is as advanced if not better than some of the wildlife watching images now available. Probably military grade in some cases in regard to rifle night sights with an LCD screen if you can afford it.

Getting very bored with the increasing use of sterile thermal, and notwithstanding that on one level it is clearly insightful.

I also feel CP (BBC Winterwatch) should be made to provide a clarification in the matter of a decline in Bewick’s swan numbers. Specifically that we do not hunt swan in the UK! Something the less than attuned viewer could be forgiven for considering otherwise unless you carefully review (22:55) the relevant dialogue between CP and Lee Marshall.

LGM
Chris asked the guy what the threats are to the Bewick's Swans & correctly illegal hunting is an issue. He didn't say this occurred in the UK, but is a problem in some of the countries that the swans pass from their Siberian breeding grounds to the UK. Perhaps you should have paid more attention?

Chris asked the guy what the threats are to the Bewick's Swans & correctly illegal hunting is an issue. He didn't say this occurred in the UK, but is a problem in some of the countries that the swans pass from their Siberian breeding grounds to the UK. Perhaps you should have paid more attention?
Perhaps you should have read my post more carefully? If you had you might have noted I was seeking to suggest it wasn’t immediately clear from the conversation that the UK may be considered exempt, for want of a better term, from any criticism in this regard. I believe matters were further muddied by the allied reference to lead shot that cannot be fully aligned with illegal hunting.

But we move on and it’s good to note foxes are happy to munch on stoats or weasels and not just my hens.

LGM

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back