• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wireless keyboard frozen (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I don't know if I accidentally hit key combinations but my keyboard won't work .

I've switched the computer on and off a couple of times and changed the batteries but no joy. It's a Portus keyboard.

Any ideas?

If the mouse is working then that means the common receiver is working. That would mean the problem is with the keyboard. It might sound stupid but is there a small on/off switch on the keyboard, I had a wireless keyboard that had a tiny switch on the side that was for ever getting knocked.

I've had this problem before and I bought a can of compressed air. I forget what it was called but I gave the keyboard a thorough spraying and it started working again.

Oh my! Thanks KC. Not sure where I'd get that here - guess a hardware shop.

PC is still under warranty so I've sent a plea to Portus. Hope they can advise.

Is it connected to your computer via Bluetooth? Perhaps check to make sure your keyboard is being picked up by the computer?

I think so - the mouse is the same make and is working OK.

If the mouse is working then that means the common receiver is working. That would mean the problem is with the keyboard. It might sound stupid but is there a small on/off switch on the keyboard, I had a wireless keyboard that had a tiny switch on the side that was for ever getting knocked.
irt may be the case that both are independent?. My set is different brands, but the mouse has an usb plug to make connection, while the keyboard does not.

Could there be a key on the keyboard to hold down to pair it with the computer? You might have unpaired it by mistake or turned Bluetooth off on it.
I'm not aware of one; it's the same make as the mouse and computer and a feeling it was all set up when I received it.

As for unpairing it I've not a scooby how I'd've done that, nor how to interpret what it's saying about what is on LOL

Thanks for that Vergan. I think I may have found the USB - there's loads of ports, some a bit hidden. I'd have put it there thinking I won't want to mess with it too often LOL.

Hmmmm... do we have a red-face emoji!!!

Now it's daylight, I thought I'd double-check the batteries were both in the right way round. Grrrr had it wrong, didn't I.

Trouble is the keyboard is black and the + is just a tiny raised mark, so also in black.

I'm back in action but thanks all of you for the help and guidance you've given me.

Glad you got it sorted, it would have been a pain to have to send it back.
Yes it would.

Interesting - I've had to change the battery (AA) on the mouse several times, but the keyboard ones (2xAAA), I don't remember changing before.

Oh no!!!

Has your system had an update recently. A few years ago, they kept interfering with certain keys on my laptop. Things like the left Shift Key, the "A" and "S" and a number in the top row... oh yes, that was the 9, so I couldn't use the opening bracket, but could use the close one!!!

It really was very frustrating.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back