• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Withymoor - Amblecote, Stourbridge..... (1 Viewer)

Crech.

Attachments​

• P1510093-crop.JPG
    P1510093-crop.JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1510130-crop.JPG
    P1510130-crop.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1510158-crop.JPG
    P1510158-crop.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 0
  • P1510285-crop.JPG
    P1510285-crop.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1510298-crop.JPG
    P1510298-crop.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 0

The last few days have been quiet to say the least. Raptors appear to have thinned out or are coming in waves I don’t know as I can’t get up there. Yesterday for example I didn’t see any crossing Reserve airspace - maybe the Patriot battery array spooks them? There has been a clearout of waders with a few Little Stints and Ruff still about - I feel sorry for the resident Spurwing, Stilts and Redshank…..they have nothing to chase. Caspian Terns here and there, Brown-necked Raven over, good range of Egrets/Heron including Striated. Ringing has been a bit samey with 50% being Lesser ‘throats and Blackcap. More Bonelli’s with Orphean and Olly bringing up the rear. Both Wryneck and Bluethroat feature daily. Several Savi’s , Nightingale and 2 Great Reed have also departed with bling.

Trip ticks include Sandwich Tern, Cattle Egret, Osprey and Bee Eater. I picked up another trio or the same 3 RNPhals yesterday which promptly flew off. The weather has gone from Mon and Tue at 30c to cloudy on Wednesday but boiling point in the afternoon to below 20c until midday today. It picked up this afternoon but was still blowy from the North which must have put a dent in Northerly migration. The wind has been an early morning feature so I have not visited Holland Park which has been reported as quiet. A suggestion was made to ‘not forget the other parks’ - all of the others are uphill…..on a bike. When I say uphill I mean nearly Lisbon uphill. I actually thought Canada Park was in Canada and held little apart from the usual suspects and I nearly drowned in my own sweat - not again. 3 Semi-C flickers had been reported the day before. I take the view that if stuff is moving through it can be anywhere so I will cycle to the easiest options.

North Beach continues to underwhelm. I simply do not dotwatch it gives me no pleasure and is great as a technical exercise - if you think you have seen a slightly bigger-chested dark Pom Skua then fine but don’t forget the ‘spoons’ in your notes. A few White-eyed and a loitering Caspian but nothing like the first night when every bouy held a perching bird. I see stuff every day but there has been little change hence no daily updates. Todays highlights were a female (I was reliably informed) Crested Honey Buzzard, Beaters and the Os end of an Arsprey. My own personal find were 3 Cretz that flew in front of me, did a ‘touch and go” (Farnboro J knows what I mean), before heading off into the Arava hinterland.

Tomorrow I have been offered a lift to KM96 by 2 very generous Swedish birders. They must be covertly working for Swarovski because I am hooked on the 12x50 EL’s that dangle from their necks and keep me in a state of mollification. I have the money but do I want the earache of ‘not another pair of binoculars’? Only time will tell. Km96 and a couple of klicks either side hold Hoopoe…..Larks, McQ’s, Thick-billed, Bar-tailed and Dunn’s and God knows what else. It promises to be a veritable Shangri-Lark! We are going with a reserve vol Ido who is happy to get a free trip birding but Noam now levies or is Levi’s a ‘donation’ towards IBRCE management of about 25 quid each for Ido’s attendance for 6 hours - we are more than happy to help the cause.

A word of advice. Passover is a bitch so make sure you have booked in advance anywhere in Eilat. I face the prospect of being homeless from Tuesday onwards and it is not proving easy to find alternative accommodation. Having been here nearly a month it would have been nice if the hostel staff could have given me the heads up. I might be able to relocate otherwise it is either heading off to Haifa and doing stuff around there or flying back home. The latter is a distinct possibility if I cannot find a birding alternative. Although I obviously have a return flight it might be cheaper and far less hassle to book another single flight and wave bye-bye…..

I will upload a few images and hopefully some of them will be correctly labeled - I will know if they are not that’s for sure.

Good birding -

Laurie -

I just realised that the words probably and Brian (J Small) are never found together in the same sentence..... It's what comes of posting pics after a bottle of robust Mt Hermon Red a veritable 'rascal of the vineyard'......

Accommodation sorted but I could have done without 2 days of needless angst. These days bookings with no cancellation fee upto 24 hours are commonplace so all of a sudden beds in dorms appear and I will be ensconced in a 6-berth, as opposed to a 4-berth, dorm - lucky me! The last couple of days have not only been quiet but also, for Eilat, decidedly cool with temperatures hovering around 20c due to a 'Polar plunge' from the North. I have certainly hit the place at an odd time. Cloudy days, showers on 2 of them and always the headwind oy vey. A change is taking place from tomorrow and the forecast for the remaining 2 weeks of my tenure will be sunny, light if any, wind and 28-32c. I want to bow out on high not low (pressure). Ringing remains low with about 60 rung each day but it included a Scops Owl yesterday and a stonker of a male Sprawk today both of which I missed. More Bonelli's appearing with a range of the usual suspects including the smallest - a dull male (yes they do exist) Palestinian Sunbird. Just a hint of bronzing on the mantle - unbelievably delicate bill. There has been a clearout of waders leaving a dead Ruff in the freshwater lagoon and 2 of the remaining migrants being caught for ringing. BoP's have been almost non-existent but the locals are optimistic of heavy passage. I have been offered a lift to the mountain watchpoint by a non-birder tomorrow so if I can enthuse him there might be another(s) on offer - watch this space.

Just checking thru my day list and it still looks good:
Eastern Bonelli's Warbler
Eastern Orphean Warbler
Ruppell's Warbler
Arabian Grackle
Cretzschmar's Bunting
Marsh Sandpiper
Steppe Buzzard
Booted Eagle
Crested Honey Buzzard
Black-winged Stilt
Spur-winged Plover
Little Green Bee Eater
Palestinian Sunbird
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
Nightingale
Savi's Warbler
Thrush Nightingale (not seen by me)
Little Stint
Kentish Plover
Gull-billed Tern

I couldn't make the trip to KM 96 due to housing issues but I heard the had Larks galore including Dunn's and Bar-tailed. A Crested Tern has been reported off North Beach and 2 sightings of Audouin's have been claimed so maybe I wasn't on my favourite crack-pipe the other day.....

Good birding -

Laurie -

Stuff.

1. Steel Steppe.
2. Bonny.
3. Somebody had the energy to buy and consume the thing but not to pick it up and put it in a bin - yes these ppl exist everywhere.
4. I find these birds endearing and entertaining in equal amounts.
5. It only needs one to call it the 'Ruppell's bush.

Attachments​

• P1520544-crop.JPG
    P1520544-crop.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520553-crop.JPG
    P1520553-crop.JPG
    374.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520578-crop.JPG
    P1520578-crop.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520588-crop.JPG
    P1520588-crop.JPG
    332.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520642-crop.JPG
    P1520642-crop.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 0

More.

1. The Beast of Holland Park.
2. The Beast of the Ringing Station.
The Swarovski 115mm c/w 30-70 angled zoom. I am still lost for words and want one. It's only money and what's more I have the stuff. I can almost hear The Bride's eyelids narrowing with the sound of a rusty portcullis - a phone call to Brian at The Birders Store will suffice.....
3. So delicate and so beautiful - like a new-born child.
4. Just a minuta.
5. It's great being in the Middle East hotspot and seeing the locals wowing at a bird that was named after a humble English county.

Attachments​

• P1520664-crop.JPG
    P1520664-crop.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520696-crop.JPG
    P1520696-crop.JPG
    660.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520762-crop.JPG
    P1520762-crop.JPG
    547.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520825-crop.JPG
    P1520825-crop.JPG
    612.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P1520886-crop.JPG
    P1520886-crop.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 0

That's it.

1. Waders in the hand, they're something else aren't they? A stonking male hot to trot in his nuptials.
2. Gullbilled traveler with male and female BwS.
3. These pair of local retina-burners are unbelievably approachable and I never tire of doing it.

Attachments​

• P1520917-crop.JPG
    P1520917-crop.JPG
    492.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530184-crop.JPG
    P1530184-crop.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530215-crop.JPG
    P1530215-crop.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 0

They call the wind Maria……….

Well, they did in Paint Your Wagon - we are almost on first name terms but for the time being ‘wind’ is the latest 4-letter word to gain entry to the swear-word shelf on my Lexicon. There is no let up. The forecast says ‘gentle’ - it’s 12-15mph which in my book is moderate. First thing it’s still cool and obviously a headwind - that goes without saying. This Northerly airflow is forecast for the rest of my trip and will knock 5 or 6 degrees off the 28-32c top end. By 11 at least it is warm. Yesterday I got dropped off near some Godforsaken canyon up in the Eilat Mountains. Cycling back and in theory gravity always wins - it’s a lovely winding drop for several miles…..I got literally stopped by the wind and had to pedal on several occasions - not good. At least I got some Raptor action with several thousand birds. I was at head hight, which is not ideal, with birds passing half a mile away in steady streams. A coupla miles further along they started kettling…..until the wind broke them up and were scattered like Rice at a Greek wedding. SteppeB’s dominated with several hundred BK’s and dotted SteppeE’s and probably other stuff I will have to check thru photos that I just blasted at the kettles. Several Eastern Imps were reported. I left at midday. En-route back I flushed a White-crowned Black Wheatear a 1S job. A pair of Sand Partridge scrutinised me from a distance as if they had been on an IDF training course.

I dropped back down to Canada Park the way that a cyclist should - downhill. It’s more extensive than I thought but it was blowy and to make matters worse there was someone on a drive-on mower cutting grass ffs. I cannot stand the background noise of this sort of thing. There is an employee down at the IBRCE whose sole reason for gainful employment is to select a tool of the day with which to make noise with. Whether it is a leaf-blower, trimmer, pole-saw, pressure-washer…..oy vey. Time could actually be spent constructively spent picking up plastic odds and sods that infest the place imo. I pick a bag full up in between ringing collections (and halo polishing obviously) consequently I qualify for the highly-prized ‘volunteer discount’ with regard to ice-cream, t-shirts etc. CP yielded a female-type Ficedula which, after checking pics, I deemed a Collared.

Holland Park produced Warblers of several sp plus a lifer in the form of a coupla Napalm Doves. I managed to photograph a female but the male shot off like a Patriot missile towards Jordan - very impressed with the fast jinking flight that reminded me of a Pratincole. Other bits and bobs obviously. I didn’t pop into the IBCRE yesterday and didn’t miss anything as they rung about 25 birds when it should be 250. Today was no better with 34 although it did include a Great Reed Warbler. I had to get back and move house to another hostel so it was game over by midday birdwise.

I have to say that one month in, despite all the new birds, I am disappointed with general migration. I am not alone almost to a birder visitors have said the same - certainly as far as the general Eilat and reserve area is concerned. Of course there is a plethora of species but only if you have a car. I expected, or hoped, for bushes dripping with warblers, raptors moving across the area overspilling from the hills and waders vying for a feeding spot on the reserve lagoon edges. This has not been the case and there is that effing wind. A chap just leaving my new hostel cranked through shots of BBRobin at Samar, Larks at wherever and frame filling Sandgrouse etc etc but you have to put in some mileage for that - an air-con car helps. 2 birders yesterday decided to go for the Yellow-billed Stork…..that was a round trip of 1k km - I wouldn’t go if it was free. Not even an adult afaik and more to my point I saw shedloads around Nakuru and Naivasha 40+ years ago but hey ho.

My remaining time will be spent locally around IBRCE and see how it (salt) pans out.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Stuff.

1. Gold and Silver alloyed and mixed with a few feathers.
2. Here comes the Night (Herons).
3. Blue Remembered Hills - my version not Dennis Potter's.
4. Purple Haze.
5. The Jordanian Falcons - Arab power projection at its best.....

Attachments​

• P1530252-crop.JPG
    P1530252-crop.JPG
    540.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530298-crop.JPG
    P1530298-crop.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530350-crop.JPG
    P1530350-crop.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530356-crop.JPG
    P1530356-crop.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530511-crop.JPG

Stufff.

1. Trapped twice in the same morning.
2. Rumper.
3. King of the Hill.
4. A solitary dusk straggler heading for the Israeli hinterland.
5. Coiled and ready at Holland Park.

Attachments​

• P1530562-crop.JPG
    P1530562-crop.JPG
    724.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530630-crop.JPG
    P1530630-crop.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530722-crop.JPG
    P1530722-crop.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530728-crop.JPG
    P1530728-crop.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530746-crop.JPG
    P1530746-crop.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 0

Stuffff.

1. Female Napalm Dove.
2. Israeli Bomb Disposal practicing on a nature reserve.....as you do.
3. WCBW1s.
4. Put the kettle on.
5. From my perch towards the Bay of Eilat / Gulf of Aqaba.

Attachments​

• P1530993-crop.JPG
    P1530993-crop.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1530881-crop.JPG
    P1530881-crop.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530847-crop.JPG
    P1530847-crop.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530771-crop.JPG
    P1530771-crop.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530765-crop.JPG

Stufffff.

1. Like bicycles are a threat.
2. Making them bigger doesn't make them any easier.
3. Canada Park Ficedula - I made this a Collared?
4. Quite how a Candelabra makes its way onto a nature reserve is beyond me.
5. Great Reed in the Schlomo 'death grip'.

Attachments​

• P1530995-crop.JPG
    P1530995-crop.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1530998-crop.JPG
    P1530998-crop.JPG
    863.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540026-crop.JPG
    P1540026-crop.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540081-crop.JPG
    P1540081-crop.JPG
    648.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540156-crop.JPG

Stuffffff.

I bumped into the Barbary Falcon Survey Team yesterday - they looked like they meant business and muttered something about 'not taking any prisoners'.....whatever that means ;)

Attachments​

• P1490111-crop.JPG
    P1490111-crop.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 0

Passover has started and I am expecting tumbleweed to roll down the empty streets. Not quite but the daily dose of wind at some stage has meant Date Palm branches here and there including one straddling my bike.

Today, Thursday, is breezy as I type 17:30 local. Yesterday was very breezy from midday onwards whereas Tuesday, early turbulation aside, was calm…..and hot. Yesterday saw a ‘Brown out’ like something from a movie. The ‘Blue Remembered Hills’ of Aqaba were virtually invisible like one of those chronicled records of a city consumed by the desert sand with the residents waiting for Indiana Jones to come dig ‘em out. The wind factor reminds of when I stopped in Tarifa, opposite Tangier, one September. 3 days of strong winds and no raptors saw us getting a coach to Seville and returning when conditions improved - I wondered why the waste bins were tethered to concrete slabs! High temperatures upto 35c are forecast over the next 3 days with at least a 10 degree drop when some more rain appears early next week. Eilat’s 4 days rain per annum has been an unexpected holiday bonus…..

Migration is obviously taking place but is not much in evidence here imo. Seasoned visiting birders I have spoken to either shrug shoulders and mutter something like ‘it wernt like this wen I wer a lad’ like something from Monty Python’s The 4 Yorkshiremen but indigenous vols and staff like Noam and Shacher say bad for birders good for the birds. Birds stop at Eilat because they need to not because they want to. Ringing is light because the birds don’t have to feed. A lot of migrants rung show good fat deposits. Birds trapped further North at places like the Jerusalem Bird Observatory record weights nearly double as the lowest here. The Negev and Sinai have received significant rainfall and a wetter Winter - plenty of vegetation and plenty of invertebrates. Good numbers of raptors are reported at all times of day…..when they move…..some days hardly any but they have to continue North eventually. North of the Dead Sea and up to Hula has plenty of birds. All grist to the logistical mill for the next visit.

I have bashed both Holland and Ofira Park with little to inspire - no Ruppell’s just LesserT’s and a few Bonelli’s but it is pleasant enough and the former is my personal favourite. I am not keen on formalised parks with little lower canopy. Ringing has produced Savi’s and LGBTeater in addition to a selection of both Phyllosc and Sylvia but yields less than 30 records a day of which about half are retraps. Interestingly some of these birds put on 1g in 2 days. A few dozen raptors over consists of the usual BK and SB but one of the local CHB’s put in an appearance this morning. Waders have picked up with a good selection on the little freshwater ‘canal’ adjacent to the main car park. Upto half a dozen Temminck’s Stints, Green Sand, 3 Marsh Sand, Greenshank, Little Stint, Ruff, Ringed Plover, Stilts, Spurwing, Dusky Redshank and Common were all present today. Species such as Blue-cheeked BE have been calling overhead but not to me - just ‘Common’ i.e the ones that are rare in the UK.

I don’t know what the remaining week or so holds so I shall bimble about accordingly - on reflection I have probably stopped 2 weeks too long for a number of reasons not just birds. I will put the trip down to experience and learn from it.

Pics to follow at some stage.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Stuff.

1. Aqaba at Dawn.
2. Synchronised M+F Stilt team.
3. The least common of the Sandpipers.
4. femdegg.
5. Eastern stonker.

Attachments​

• P1540338-crop.JPG
    P1540338-crop.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540365-crop.JPG
    P1540365-crop.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540389-crop.JPG
    P1540389-crop.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540417-crop.JPG
    P1540417-crop.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540435-crop.JPG
    P1540435-crop.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 0

Stufff.

1. Another angle.
2. I remember chasing my 1st down in Kent more years ago than I care to remember (82/83 iirc).
3. Netanilgale.
4. Gift shop mascot.
5. These 2 Black Storks were surprisingly approachable.

Attachments​

• P1540600-crop.JPG
    P1540600-crop.JPG
    714.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540599-crop.JPG
    P1540599-crop.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540587-crop.JPG
    P1540587-crop.JPG
    597.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540477-crop.JPG
    P1540477-crop.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540461-crop.JPG
    P1540461-crop.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 0

Stufff.

1. Flamingo-a-go-go.
2. Bonny Rump.
3. Silver-billed and cute with it.
4. Last catch of the day but not the least - break out the RayBans.

Attachments​

• P1540695-crop.JPG
    P1540695-crop.JPG
    475.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540654-crop.JPG
    P1540654-crop.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540644-crop.JPG
    P1540644-crop.JPG
    542.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540613-crop.JPG

This Savi's Warbler was a retrap for the 3rd time in about 5 days. It had put on weight but appeared 'dopey'. After photographing it the bird just fluttered down to the ground and initially crept into the grassy patch then moved to some rocks to skulk and finished up by a water pipe. This is for all those that spend hours waiting for a non-singing bird in a patch of East coast scrub.....

Attachments​

• P1540708-crop.JPG
    P1540708-crop.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540717-crop.JPG
    P1540717-crop.JPG
    423 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540718-crop.JPG
    P1540718-crop.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1540735-crop.JPG
    P1540735-crop.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540759-crop.JPG
    P1540759-crop.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Mooched around the reserve from 7-1 and left as not only was it hot but it was an open day with face-painting, balloons etc most of it conservation related but I didn’t want to get too broody so left for a beer.

With a week to go tomorrow I am getting into wind-down mode and will only be birding locally until after lunch then flop about. A lift, if offered, will be taken but birders are noticeably thin on the ground so the IBRCE is still the best gig in town for me. The mixed weather forecast might work to my advantage so one of the parks will be done each day and I will finish down at North Beach for at least a nice sunset if nothing else…… The locals say ‘another wave’ is likely so fingers crossed.

Ringing today remained light at about 35 birds but the lack of numbers made up in variety with no less than about 16 species rung a dozen being retraps. Both Lesser and Common ‘throat, Orphean, Reed, Sedge, Olly, European Bee Eater, Great Reed Warbler and an absolute stonker of a Rufous Bush Robin of the Eastern race.

Red-necked Phalaropes had increased to 7. The canal held 100+ waders including. Wood, Green and Marsh Sandpiper, Ringed and Little Ringed Plover, Redshank and Spotted Redshank, Little and Temminck’s Stint, Ruff, Greenshank and obviously BWStilt and Spurwing. Egrets/Herons from the freshwater hides were: Grey, Purple, Squacco and Striated Heron, Little of both Bittern and Egret. Raptors were non-existent but did include a mid-distant and longer Jordanian Hills Crested Honey Buzzard. Yesterday saw a very close bird over the reserve which at a distance reminded me of a large Bonelli’s on the underwing layout.

I am optimistic for the remaining week as anything can and does turn up around here….. Despite the sedentary birding I think of it as a few weeks spent around Cley or Minsmere in early May.

Good birding -

Laurie -

Stuff.

1. It's that man again - the Scarlet Pimpernel of Eilat.
2. Beeters.
3. The ongoing brutal treatment of the landscape. Concrete to assist water to the sea when it should really be diverted to settle and drain away slower and disperse the valuable desert Swedbank.
4. Giving more food for these.
5. Temmincki.

Attachments​

• P1540938-crop.JPG
    P1540938-crop.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540836-crop.JPG
    P1540836-crop.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540834-crop.JPG
    P1540834-crop.JPG
    698.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540804-crop.JPG
    P1540804-crop.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540764-crop.JPG
    P1540764-crop.JPG
    908.3 KB · Views: 0

Stufff.

1. Beeters.
2. Legs n Co.
3. Viper - this one is deadly with a trip to the hospital within 2 hours for antivenin. It lies in wait for migrant birds by a drinking pool.
4. The Beast from the East.

Attachments​

• P1540814-crop.JPG
    P1540814-crop.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540968-crop.JPG
    P1540968-crop.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • P1550229-crop.JPG
    P1550229-crop.JPG
    821.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1540859-crop.JPG