• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

? Wood Duck, Sussex County, New Jersey, USA (1 Viewer)

m.skalla

Two trailing birds are wood ducks. The white at base of bill on leading bird is throwing me. ? another wood duck?

Taken November 5.

Attachments

• 11-21 (4).jpg
    11-21 (4).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 11-21 (5).jpg
    11-21 (5).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 41
Hello,
yes I agree with you the leading bird is another Wood Duck. Please note:
  • elongated, long tailed shape with narrow wings (therefore resulting in the feeling that wings are to narrow=have not enough area for a bird of its size, vaguely reminsisent of a Coot). Shared with Mandarin Duck
  • the broad, oval white area (edit: around the eye) has the right shape for a female Wood Duck, and therefore much better than for most similar Mandarin Duck
  • yes I agree with you, the white blaze seems too broad and conspicious for both species. But as everything else seems good for a female Wood Duck, I would say its indeed one.
But: Im must admit if I didnt know the location, where Mandarin is a rare bird, I assume, I couldnt decide between those two:
  • long tail seems better for Wood Duck, as is white patch around eye
  • small, trinagular bill seems better for Mandarin Duck

But yes, thats too much squeezed out of this picture, but I would say the white blaze is some kind of abnormal colouration (both can have little white at the bill-base.

Caveat: I dont have experience with american species, only from zoos/collections (Ring-necked Duck excepted)

Last edited:
For the reasons Alexander mentioned, the lead bird seems good for Wood Duck to me. The elongated tail, distinctive white eye patch and white belly strike me as the key features.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back