• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodchat shrike? (Iran) (1 Viewer)

gholamhosseini

Hi
Please help me for ID.
I think no.1 and 2 are juvenile of woodchat shrike.
I have no idea for no. 3 (Pipit?) (unfortunately the picture is not good)
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 80
I have been looking at the photo's and wondering why the bird looked so grey and yet in IMHO isn't one of the grey shrikes.

It is certainly a juvenile and the key features that can be seen include
  • Pale rump
  • White patch at base of primaries
  • scapular patch
  • dark lores
  • short tailed
To be it also looks relatively dainty - not having the heft of GGS complex but that is subjective.

The species that meets all of these criteria is Woodchat shrike, specifically the niloticus ssp which should be the local race in Iran and whose juv. is normally described as being 'surprisingly similar to juv Masked Shrike'

Thanks you all
As I have recorded adult of woodchat and Masked Shrike on the same day at this locality, I think the probability of these two is higher than the rest.
Best Regards
Ali

Last edited:
I have been looking at the photo's and wondering why the bird looked so grey and yet in IMHO isn't one of the grey shrikes.

It is certainly a juvenile and the key features that can be seen include
  • Pale rump
  • White patch at base of primaries
  • scapular patch
  • dark lores
  • short tailed
To be it also looks relatively dainty - not having the heft of GGS complex but that is subjective.

The species that meets all of these criteria is Woodchat shrike, specifically the niloticus ssp which should be the local race in Iran and whose juv. is normally described as being 'surprisingly similar to juv Masked Shrike'
1) looks to have a brown mantle for me. Excludes the grey shrikes I think. 2) might have brownish scapulars [ditto]

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back