• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker Attack on Blue Tit Nest Box (1 Viewer)

reneh46

United Kingdom
I thought people might be interested in this video (see link below). I noticed signs of the attack on the box and went back through the recording to find the time. The mother bird has 7 chicks (maybe 8) and sat on them throughout the attack. As you can see the woodpecker was almost through when our dog appeared and seemed to scare him. I have since (very quickly) fixed expanded metal to the box which will prevent any large holes although the woodpecker is still trying. All is well with the brood which doesn't seemed to have been disturbed by either the woodpecker of my DIY.

To view the link you need to be logged in to your Microsoft account, the video is just under 4 minutes.

22 05 10 Woodpecker Attack 3.AVI

Last edited:
Hi reneh and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. She sure was determined to try and get in there, wasn't she. I guess she has some youngsters of her own to feed.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Wish I could see the video - don’t have a Microsoft account. Glad to hear the woodpecker was unsuccessful.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Wish I could see the video - don’t have a Microsoft account. Glad to hear the woodpecker was unsuccessful.
Hi, A Microsoft Account is easy to set up and is free. Alternatively you could try this link that uses Google:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bDO6AxgCs11ONA5SRlU19UdZ3GyCrE0a/view?usp=sharing

I think I may get an email asking for approval for each person that uses it but I'm not sure. Try and see!

Hi, A Microsoft Account is easy to set up and is free. Alternatively you could try this link that uses Google:
Yes, I know it is free. I don’t use Microsoft for anything and really don’t want an account for it. I think you will get a request for the Google one. Got it, very interesting. Love how mamma handled it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back