• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Woodpecker? Birmingham UK, 16th August (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Here's an odd one. While walking through Moseley, Birmingham, I saw what struck me as an odd-looking smallish bird (maybe starling to thrush size) with what seemed a large pointed bill, perched in the top of a tree in a large garden.

It was a bit far for me to think I could definitely identify it without binoculars and against such a dull sky, but I zoomed in to get a photograph, then looked at the back of my camera and thought "oh, it's a magpie, must have misjudged the size" and didn't think any more of it, until now going through my photos, and thought "wait, that's no magpie..."

With that barring on the wings, the only thing I can make it into is a Great Spotted Woodpecker. But I don't think I have ever previously seen a GSW (or any woodpecker) perching in thin branches at the top of a relatively small tree like that, as you'd expect a starling, thrush, corvid or other passerine to do... (especially as there was a park at the end of the road with lots of big, old trees in it!)

Attachments

• birdcrop1.jpg
    birdcrop1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 41
  • birdcrop2.jpg
    birdcrop2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30

Danielibero

But I don't think I have ever previously seen a GSW (or any woodpecker) perching in thin branches at the top of a relatively small tree like that, as you'd expect a starling, thrush, corvid or other passerine to do... (especially as there was a park at the end of the road with lots of big, old trees in it!)

Like a month ago I saw a female GSW perching, exactly like your bird, in a poplar, then it flew away to another poplar to perch in the same way. And it had many huge old trees in the park we were...

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread