• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker, Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Birders Reports

Hello to all,

Please, help us with the ID of this Woodpecker, recorded two days ago in Western Bulgaria.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Dendrocopos_sp.jpg
    Dendrocopos_sp.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 181
I think this is a Middle Spotted Woodpecker D. medius?!
crown is all red and there is clear streeking and a rosy hue on breast/belly (too much streaking and too wide distribution of rosy coloration for Syrian woodpecker)
And also in a young D. syriacus there would be some black between the white feathers above eye and the red cap

Last edited:
crown is all red and there is clear streeking and a rosy hue on breast/belly (too much streaking and too wide distribution of rosy coloration for Syrian woodpecker)
And also in a young D. syriacus there would be some black between the white feathers above eye and the red cap

Thank you, Joern Lehmhus!

This is cropped and lightened image of the bird. The black on head reaches the bill base, which is against MSW. Also, maybe the bill is too large for this species.

Attachments

• Dendrocopos_sp_1.jpg
    Dendrocopos_sp_1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
Is it the lilfordi race of a White-backed Woodpecker?

No I don't think so. That has a stronger malar and white barring on the back. I found this bird difficult initially because I thought it had Syrian shape but middle-spotted colours. Now I can see that there is actually a black lower edge to the red cap, at least at the back and to about halfway along. As well as the bill being too heavy/long for middle-spotted, so the tail is too long as well.

Another vote that it is not MSW. Just too bulky, thick breast and flank streaking rather than fine and the bill is too large for a Middle Spotted. I find that Middle has a gentler, kinder facial expression.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, no way I would see a MSW in this either, it screams "the big kind" at first sight by shape - GSW/WBW/Syrian. I would however leave the decision between those to the more knowledgeable :)

I also think we may be deceived by the blurryness of the photo, I tried to draw what I see as possible outline of the head and the end of the bill, then the bill looks much smaller; comparing with the ivy leaves (Hedera helix) I also think this is not such a big bird.

Attachments

• specht.jpg
    specht.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 73
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back