• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Woodpecker? Sapsucker? Flicker? Lake Tahoe NV USA (1 Viewer)

Birds4Kathy

Today (2/4/21) I saw a bird in the pine trees at Sand Harbor State Park on the east side of Lake Tahoe. He has a brown head making me think it is a juvenile but I can't seem to find a woodpecker/sapsucker/flicker reported in this area that fits what this bird looks like. I was particularly surprised to see the yellow belly that can be seen in a very blurry photo I have included. Can someone help me identify this bird? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Kathy

Woodpecker small.jpg Woodpecker2 small.jpg Woodpecker3 small.jpg

Birds4Kathy

I went to ibird and searched WIlliamson's Sapsucker. The female has black and white bars a brown head and yellow belly. I think you are on to something!!!!!! Kathy

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I agree. After going through Google images it looks to be a Williamson's Sapsucker.

Birds4Kathy

Thanks for the help. This one really had me stumped, in part because I have never seen either a male or female Williamson's Sapsucker before. A new lifer! Kathy

connorco

United States
Definitely a Williamson's. They can be surprisingly difficult to find at some times. Nice Bird!

Users who are viewing this thread