• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Woodshrike (1 Viewer)

THE_FERN

I like 'Serendib' as the Bay Owl, the name predates Sri Lanka?
A typo for scops owl, of course. I looked up the origins of "serendib"; and "Ceylon " and discovered they're derived from the same original word/term.

Also off-topic: I've always wondered why "it's all about lions" in Sri Lanka. Makes me suspect they once occurred there but I've never seen any evidence they did (SL is famous for its leopards of course)

Andy Adcock

England
A typo for scops owl, of course. I looked up the origins of "serendib"; and "Ceylon " and discovered they're derived from the same original word/term.

Also off-topic: I've always wondered why "it's all about lions" in Sri Lanka. Makes me suspect they once occurred there but I've never seen any evidence they did (SL is famous for its leopards of course)
Not really, IOC call it 'Sri Lanka Bay Owl' so I just hybridised the name.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Any other photos of the owl? would help if it had the neck stretched a little more for example.

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread