• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Cup Avoidance - Southern Africa or maybe Chile (1 Viewer)

Arbu

The Football World Cup is coming up, and to me that is a good time to get away, as prices may be lower, and there will be undue excitement over it at home. So I'm thinking of going to South Africa and/or Namibia, and hiring a car for three weeks or so. Anyone interested in joining me? 80% birding, although a few days seeing Cape Town would seem worthwhile, and some moderate hiking too. I'm free from 5th Nov until Christmas, although flying back close to Christmas might be expensive. Suggestions of how to do it welcome too.

Chile would be good too, although the hiking would be less moderate...

I presume that you know that association football is the most popular sport in South Africa ?
I know South Africa didn’t qualify for the tournament due to some poor officiating but I imagine people will be watching it avidly in many parts of the country

I presume that you know that association football is the most popular sport in South Africa ?
I know South Africa didn’t qualify for the tournament due to some poor officiating but I imagine people will be watching it avidly in many parts of the country
Yes, but I'll still be further removed from it birding in South Africa than if I stayed in London. And I believe South Africa has a big domestic tourist industry, so if people are staying at home to watch the football, that should make the game reserves quieter. I don't totally dislike football, I'd probably try to watch England in the final if they got that far.

We were in South Africa over the summer. The reserve lodges had deals for residents to fill up the rooms, so the guests were mainly "locals". Apart from a "lively" delegation of American Embassy staff, we only saw one other family from outside the Country .. (the fact they lived less than 5 miles from us was one of those weirdest of coincidences!)

So I suspect the bars will have live football throughout, and plenty of cheering.
The wildlife will be just as good!

The Football World Cup is coming up, and to me that is a good time to get away, as prices may be lower, and there will be undue excitement over it at home. So I'm thinking of going to South Africa and/or Namibia, and hiring a car for three weeks or so. Anyone interested in joining me? 80% birding, although a few days seeing Cape Town would seem worthwhile, and some moderate hiking too. I'm free from 5th Nov until Christmas, although flying back close to Christmas might be expensive. Suggestions of how to do it welcome too.

Chile would be good too, although the hiking would be less moderate...
I've sent you a pm, we did an extensive trip to Western SA and Namibia with a couple of other diversions in 2010-11, here's a few tasters.

Attachments

• Chaplin's Barbet.jpg
    Chaplin's Barbet.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Herero Chat.jpg
    Herero Chat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • Narina Trogon.jpg
    Narina Trogon.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Rufous-bellied Heron.jpg
    Rufous-bellied Heron.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 14
  • White-tailed Shrike.jpg
    White-tailed Shrike.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • Rockrunner.jpg
    Rockrunner.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Rufous-eared Warbler.jpg
    Rufous-eared Warbler.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • PelsFishingOwlDrotskyscampBotswana22ndDecember2011mod.jpg
    PelsFishingOwlDrotskyscampBotswana22ndDecember2011mod.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 17
Not gone yet, but flights to Windhoek with Eurowings (via Frankfurt) are looking quite good value at c. £600.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back