• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worried about Carolina wren and her eggs (1 Viewer)

ARenn

United States
We have a Carolina wren that has built a nest in a potted plant on our back deck. We can see her in there sitting on the eggs, but sometimes she leaves for periods of time. I just looked at it (we can see in the nest without getting too close), and she is not in there. I also noticed that there are only two eggs now, when there were three yesterday. What could have gotten the egg? Do you think she may have abandoned the nest now? I saw three eggs just last night, and this morning she was in the nest.

Hi again.... birds do leave the nest for short periods and may partially cover the eggs, depending on how warm/cold it is.

Please try to keep the area as free as possible from disturbance. Good luck to the wrens and their family.

She could well be out feeding. We have a camera in one of our nest boxes and noticed the mother would frequently leave the eggs for a while she went out getting food.

Hey, I wanted to update you on "our" Carolina Wrens! Two of the three eggs hatched, and we got to watch both Mom and Dad feed and care for their babies for 12 days! This past Saturday we watched from inside as the little ones started flapping their wings and standing on the edge of the pot. One climbed up into the plant, and the mom (I am guessing) had to go in there and help it down. It reminded me of myself with my kids years ago. lol We didn't get near the nest, but even when we were sitting at a table only 6 feet away, the parents would fly back and forth, feeding their babies. Maybe they were used to us? We are outside at our pool a lot of the time, so I like to tell myself the birds knew we wouldn't hurt them. In reality, they probably just know we can't fly. 😂 Thank you for giving me reassurance a couple of weeks ago! I hope we get to see something like this again!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back