• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you buy a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu? (1 Viewer)

PlanetMaker

Would you buy a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu if you needed a 7x bino?
I have a opportunity to get a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu for a reasonable price
My only concern is the 33oz weight
The one I'm possibly getting was produced in 2005, (75xxx + 30) right on the cusp of the last armor change I believe?
Your thoughts appreciated or an alternative 7x by Swarovski
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• 7x42.jpg
    7x42.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 538
Would you buy a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu if you needed a 7x bino?
I have a opportunity to get a Swarovski SLC 7x42 Neu for a reasonable price
My only concern is the 33oz weight
The one I'm possibly getting was produced in 2005, (75xxx + 30) right on the cusp of the last armor change I believe?
Your thoughts appreciated or an alternative 7x by Swarovski
Thanks
Dan
Yes, it's a great 7X42 if you can handle the weight.

The only downside is the weight but with a harness, I find them no problem. Great bins.
There is the SLC 7x30 as an alternative but they are rare. And not all are phase coated I think.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger with confidence from you wonderful people :king:
Hopefully it has the last production outer armor that went on in 2006
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• SLC 7x42.jpg
    SLC 7x42.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 290
I have one that was made in 2006. D7623xxxxx. I have heard that was the last year they were made. I purchased mine from Eagle Optics in December 2012 as a Demo. They told me that it was the last one they had left in stock. It looks exactly like yours pictured in your 1st Post above and its box looks exactly like the one in your Post #4.

It is a large, solidly built binocular that is very easy to use. It also has a very well designed green canvas case with elastic sides and openings in the bottom corners of it to save weight I guess.

Bob

Last edited:
I have one that was made in 2006. D7623xxxxx. I have heard that was the last year they were made. I purchased mine from Eagle Optics in December 2012 as a Demo. They told me that it was the last one they had left in stock. It looks exactly like yours pictured in your 1st Post above and its box looks exactly like the one in your Post #4.

It is a large, solidly built binocular that is very easy to use. It also has a very well designed green canvas case with elastic sides and openings in the bottom corners of it to save weight I guess.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your encouraging words for the 7x42, I feel lucky, can't wait!

Congrats, Mr Maker, it sounds like you got a good one! No worries about the Swaro warranty-they seem to be the best in the business. All will be updated if you send it in for service. That speaks louder than words. Hope it's all you want it to be! It's only about an ounce heavier than my Meopta, and I'm sure you won't have an issue with that, if you use a harness. Which I see you are on the trail of, so you'll be fine, no doubt. Glad you got a good deal too!

Last edited:
Congrats, Mr Maker, it sounds like you got a good one! No worries about the Swaro warranty-they seem to be the best in the business. Hope it's all you want it to be! It's only about an ounce heavier than my Meopta, and I'm sure you won't have an issue with that, if you use a harness. Which I see you are on the trail of, so you'll be fine, no doubt. Glad you got a good deal too!

Thanks brother! :t:

AWESOME binocular. You can do very little better(if any) in a 7x42....

Attachments

• IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 471
Thanks to PlanetMaker, I revisited my interest in Swarovski's 7X42 SLC. Last week I purchased a used model that was refurbished by Swarovski.

I received the bin yesterday only to find it was better than I remembered. On the Swarovski box I noticed a number written in pencil. When I searched this is what I found.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/977926848/Swarovski-Binoculars-On-Sale-SLC-7x42-B-HABICHT.htm
a rather well-used bin, IMHO.

I paid the seller $999.99 and here's the listing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
Notice the improvements!!

Once again, Swarovski demonstrates why they are, without a doubt, the premier optics company of our time. The bin I've used for several hours is not only as good as new, it's better. Every lens looks perfect and the prism was upgraded to the Swarobright version employed after this bin was manufactured. New armor, focus wheel, strap connectors, eyecups, etc. are all new in perfect working order. Swarovski assigned a new serial number.

The view is amazing. I spent a few hours going back and forth with my Ultravid only to confirm what I've always known. The SLC has a killer sweet spot; the Ultravid not so much and I prefer the former. My SV's beat them all for edge sharpness but the bottom line with the 7X42 SLC is that its sweet spot, for my eyes, completely eliminates the distractions I've ALWAYS seen in the Ultravid. With the 7X42 SLC I relax more, focus a lot less, enjoy greater DOF and have a far more enjoyable experience. It also exhibits less CA than the Ultravid BR. Again, these observations are unscientific and personal but, as always, my opinions are all that matters when it comes to my viewing pleasure. The Ultravid is about to become the best loaner bin my non-birding friends will ever enjoy.

I'm hoping for clear skies so I can stare at the stars...Jupiter looked pretty good last night!

PS
I forgot to mention the generous eye relief. There's so much I need the eyecups extended and, when mounted, I can sit back and enjoy a wide, stable, carefree view with total ease!

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
The SLC has a killer sweet spot; the Ultravid not so much and I prefer the former. My SV's beat them all for edge sharpness but the bottom line with the 7X42 SLC is that its sweet spot, for my eyes, completely eliminates the distractions I've ALWAYS seen in the Ultravid. With the 7X42 SLC I relax more, focus a lot less, enjoy greater DOF and have a far more enjoyable experience. It also exhibits less CA than the Ultravid BR.

With all due respect, these statements confirm the time-honored adage that all binocular preferences are intensely personal and subjective (and that's OK, of course). My experience with the 7X42 SLC and the 7X42 UV is exactly the opposite of yours. I'm glad you like your SLC's; I've sold all my 7X42's except the UV's and my old friend the B/GAT.

John

With all due respect, these statements confirm the time-honored adage that all binocular preferences are intensely personal and subjective (and that's OK, of course). My experience with the 7X42 SLC and the 7X42 UV is exactly the opposite of yours. I'm glad you like your SLC's; I've sold all my 7X42's except the UV's and my old friend the B/GAT.

John
I couldn't agree more. :t:

Each human eye, face and brain structure will interpret images in a manner unique to that individual and that individual alone. There are simply too many variables at play to assume universal agreement.

Bob,

Mine is a 2008 and it DOES have Swarobright.

I rechecked the Utilization and Care manual dated 2006 that came with my 2006 7x42 and it says all the SLCs have Swarobright coatings.

I had heard that 2006 was the last year that the 7x42 was made but it appears that I heard wrong.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back