• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wren (1 Viewer)

Ragna

Taken in very windy conditions, i took about 10-12 shot of this wren only 3 were all in the frame,of which this is the best. Camera settings , exposure manual ,1/125 sec, f3.7 spot metering, iso 100, sharpening normal, af mode AFS. slightly sharpened and cropped in photoshop.

Attachments

• wren at titchwell b-forum.jpg
    wren at titchwell b-forum.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 378
Graham, I like your little Wren. She looks pretty sharp where it matters most.......around the face and eye.
She looks a bit too close-up perhaps, but you did well to get her at her level.
The OOF background is a bit distracting and certainly the furthest branch could be cloned out. I think that would give the picture a different dimension. On the whole it is a very nice picture of this lovely little bird, not easy to get at all.

Paula, Thanks for your reply i also thought the wren looked a bit to big in the frame, i had cropped it slightly to remove some of the background. Yes the branch on the left would look better removed with the cloning tool but i am not that good yet and it would notice,but i'll keep practicing. Thanks again.

I like your Wren also Graham. I am a beginner at "darkroom works" like you, my problem would be how to clone the right side where the offending branch merges with the foliage. Who am I kidding, the branch in it's entirity would pose a problem!
A difficult bird to capture at best, a close-up like this is outstanding!

Hi Ragna,

Great shot of the Wren, one of the best I've seen. Not too much that I could say about this as I'd be very happy with it as it is.

Focus is spot on where it matters and lighting is superb. Was this an early moning or late afternoon shot ? The use of depth of field adds to the shot in leding the vewer to the head and eye that couldn't be any sharper, looking very natural.

I agree about the branch at head level, it's removal would greatly enhance the photo but you have plenty of time to learn the tricks of photo manipulation now that you have the shot in hand. My only real niggle the position of the bird in the frame. You've almost got it right, but I think that I would have tried including and extra half inch all round and maybe even one inch extra on the left and bottom sides. It's a tip that I picked up from Brian Currie - whichever way the bird is facing, add a little more room for it to look into. In this case bottom and left. It really works.

Still and excellent result as it stands though. Four Stars !

Ian
Thanks for your reply, I have to agree a little more room around the bird would be better unfortunatly i didnt leave my self any space to play with, but ive noted your points i was a bit to close to the bird. Thanks for the tip about leaving more space the way the bird is looking ill try that next time.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back