• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wrynecks in France - Any Help Appreciated (1 Viewer)

krustyjk

United Kingdom
Hello - this is my first post on here and I wonder if anyone can help.

I managed to book a couple of days to visit the northern half of France from 6-8th May. My main mission is to try to see wryneck as I have a mild obsession with the species considering its rather unique character and the sad disappearance of it from the UK.

Could anyone recommend a location anywhere across the northern half of France (including the middle band, so including the Limousin area) where I have a good chance of seeing them? I have looked online and read through part of the Where to Watch Birds in France book. Initially was going to look around Tours / the Loire valley (easy to get to) from Caen, but now wondering if the Burgundy area in the eastern part of the country is more reliable. Any help really appreciated.

Thanks - Justin

Thanks for this. I also found this site. Has heaps of sites across Europe - good info about the locations with maps. You can do a species search as well.

Pretty good for my region. (y)

Thanks for this. I also found this site. Has heaps of sites across Europe - good info about the locations with maps. You can do a species search as well.

Thanks for that link. A good site that I've never seen before.

Looked up a few places I know well. The description for Minsmere is spot on, but the "Other birds you can see here" list is absurdly optimistic:
RSPB Minsmere | Birdingplaces.eu
More like every bird that's ever been seen at Minsmere.

Here you go:

With regards to the Limousin: you'll notice a clear observer's effect in the Brenne, but if you look close, you'll also see a cluster of points near Saint-Gilles. It indicates, based on google maps, that Wrynecks could be anywhere in the region as long as there is suitable habitat (lots of hedges, bushes, with pastures in between).
Study the sound and you cannot miss them beginning of May. Seeing them can be more tricky, but that's part of the challenge ;-)

We lived in Limousine for 12 years and I was out and about birding most days. Only ever encountered Wryneck twice and one of those was in my garden (both were migrants). Certainly an uncommon species within an hour or so to the East and North of Limoges. Maybe the Brenne might be a better option but I only visited twice and didn’t hear them. The call is quite distinctive and with patience should help to zero in on the bird. I associate wryneck more with Southern France and particularly Corsica where I had several close encounters. Some up to date local knowledge would really help improve your chances.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back