• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wrynecks in Scotland (1 Viewer)

I've also seen one singing in the Highlands as well but it was many years ago, probably overlooked in some areas.

Excellent stuff - they're on my Birds Not Likely To Ever See list, from that footage the birds are completely different from how I picture them when I see them in bird guides.

I rarely go south of the border, concentrating more on birds I can see in Scotland, but I have been thinking of heading down to Norfolk at some point.

The Rare Breeding Birds Panel report for 2009 stated three singing males in the Highlands. Would be interesting to know what the 2010 report (not yet available on the net but published via British Birds) recorded.

The Rare Breeding Birds Panel report for 2009 stated three singing males in the Highlands. Would be interesting to know what the 2010 report (not yet available on the net but published via British Birds) recorded.

"Highland Two sites: one singing male recorded on three dates within a two-week period in mid May, and a second bird in suitable habitat in June."

Poor show.

"Highland Two sites: one singing male recorded on three dates within a two-week period in mid May, and a second bird in suitable habitat in June."

Poor show.

Without too much detail: my sister and her husband found a Wryneck while walking near Balmoral a few years ago. It was either singing or at least perching conspicuously.

Excellent stuff - they're on my Birds Not Likely To Ever See list, from that footage the birds are completely different from how I picture them when I see them in bird guides.

I agree - I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to identify that from this footage, except for the times it stretched out to reach the leaves. Very interesting.

We found the one in the highlands by call initially, took us a while to actually see the bird. Had Honey Buzzard the same day.

Wouldn't a weekend on the East coast in autumn sort that out for you?

Try St Abbs, Barns Ness, Fife Ness, Girdle Ness etc. in easterlies in September.

A quick look at the Scottish Bird Report Online suggests that most of those sites average about one bird a year, mostly for one day only and with some blank years. St. Abbs looks to be the best site averaging 2 birds a year with some staying more than one day.

I suspect that Wrynecks are less frequent autumn migrants at Scottish east coast locations than English ones and certainly not an easy species to find at all if you are not regularly visiting an east coast location.

I would love to find a singing bird in my local area (they have been found in the past) like the one in this excellent video. I would hope that the distinctive song would be enough to draw attention to it, no matter how unobtrusive the bird is visually.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back