• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWT Centre, Wales. Lanelli (1 Viewer)

WelshFalcon

Widfowl & Wetlands Centre, Wales. Penclacwydd, Llanelli.

Opened in 1991, now covers over 500 acres. As well as the captve species, there are numerous hides, some looking out onto the saltwater scrapes and out onto the Loughor estuary, 4 hides on an inner lagoon, and further hides on the new Millennium wetland.

A good variety of habitats for duck, waders, raptors, warblers and garden/field birds.

The highlights are the little egrets, who number close to 200 at the summer roost on the site, spoonbills are regular visitors, and it is a good spot for passing migant waders, and some rarities.

Spring - wintering ducks leave. Passage waders, including whimbrel, common sandpiper, redshank, as well as early migrating sand martins, wheatears etc.

Summer – relatively quiet time, but early autumn migrant waders can start to show as early as the end of July. Worth checking the gulls for Mediterranean gulls, and some passage terns.

Autumn – migrating waders, curlew sandpipers, dunlin, black tailed and bar tailed godwits, whimbrel. Wintering ducks stat to arrive.

Winter – wintering ducks, - teal, pochard, wigeon. Wintering raptors, peregrine, merlin, goshawk, occasional hen harrier, short eared owl. Water rails, kingfishers give regular good views at close quarters. Wintering whooper swans.

Recent highlights. Long billed dowitcher in late October – November 2002. During 2002, up to 4 spoonbills visited, at present time, 2 still overwintering. 3 goshawks wintering in the vicinity. Drake smew present all winter. Great Northern Diver on the estuary. 6 whooper swans arrived to join the resident family on the main lagoon.

Best to take out membership when you arrive if not already a member. This gives access to all the WWT’s centres – if you make 4-5 visits in a year, you cover your cost of membership.

I just noticed this rather old thread (!)
Llanelli is a great site which I visit as often as I can - even with a drive of 3 hours each way.
Alan

Llanelli WWT - 1 January 2009

Planning a Tick and Twitch visit tomorrow and just wondered if any other Bfers may be there. Let me know before midnight if you want to meet up there - as I have to be up by 6 a.m. for the drive down.
Otherwise I will be knocking on their door at 09:29 (with lots of others!)
Alan

Planning a Tick and Twitch visit tomorrow and just wondered if any other Bfers may be there. Let me know before midnight if you want to meet up there - as I have to be up by 6 a.m. for the drive down.
Otherwise I will be knocking on their door at 09:29 (with lots of others!)
Alan
I had as great a time as is possible outdoors at about minus 3 degrees!
Started the year off with 45 species including Red-breasted Merganser, Meadow Pipit and Bullfinch. Missed a few common ones that can wait until next week (or the week after!)

Hi Alan, I did not see this post until today. I was there on the 1st, as I am most days.
Did you get the water pipit and merlin?

Clive

Hi Alan, I did not see this post until today. I was there on the 1st, as I am most days.
Did you get the water pipit and merlin?

Clive
Definitely not - and I've never seen a Water Pipit.
I think I dipped on about 8 others that birders there could see - but there are still another 360 days to go!
I'll let you know next time I'm planning a visit.
Alan

Spent an interesting hour at the wetlands today Alan. Spoonbill, 3x peregrine, 1pale and 1 common buzzard, 2x kestrel, 1x sprawk and 1x merlin. Oh and 1x R/T hen harrier. All seen from the british steel hide.

Clive

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back