• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
I've been meaning to start a thread on Wyver Lane Nature Reserve for quite a while now. The reserve is situated in Belper (Derbyshire) just to the North of the town. I've been going down there on a regular basis now for over 8 years so have a fair bit of knowledge of what the place is all about.

Lying on the West side of the River Derwent, the reserve is one of the Derbyshire Wildlife Trusts (DWT) most important wetland reserves,
consisting of two pools, one main one and a smaller pool, water meadows and reed beds. A good selection of birds have been recorded there over the years.

Although the lane itself is out of the recording area birds recorded here include Wood Warbler, Firecrest, Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Crossbill and Hawfinch. The latter two coming from Coppice Woods at the very end of Wyver Lane...an area with good potential.

Other more significant sightings over the years include all 5 species of Grebe, Bittern, Great White Egret, Smew, Pectoral Sandpiper, Ring-Billed Gull and Common Crane. Over 170 species have been recorded.

Breeding water birds include Little Grebe, Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot and Lapwing (has bred in the past). Many other smaller birds do breed include Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Stock Dove and many more common species.

Here's a full checklist of birds recorded. Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Red-Necked Grebe, *Slavonian Grebe*, Black-Necked Grebe, Cormorant, Bittern, Great White Egret, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Bewick's Swan, Whooper Swan, Bean Goose, Pink Footed Goose, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Ruddy Shelduck, Mandarin, Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Pintail, Garganey, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Scaup, Common Scoter, Goldeneye, Smew, Goosander, Ruddy Duck, Sparrowhawk, Rough Legged Buzzard, Common Buzzard, *Marsh Harrier*, Osprey, Kestrel, Hobby, Peregrine, Red Kite, Red Legged Partridge, Grey Partridge, Pheasant, Water Rail (has bred), Moorhen, Coot, Common Crane, Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Little Stint, Pectoral Sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruff, Jack Snipe, Snipe, Woodcock, Black Tailed Godwit, Whimbrel, Curlew, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Turnstone, Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull, Black Headed Gull, Ring Billed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Herring Gull, Iceland Gull, Glaucous Gull, Great Black Backed Gull, Kittiwake, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Sandwich Tern, Black Tern, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Collared Dove, Turtle Dove, Ring Necked Parakeet, Cuckoo, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Swift, Kingfisher, Wryneck, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Sand Martin, Swallow, House Martin, Tree Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Yellow Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Dipper, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Redstart, Whinchat, Stonechat, Wheatear, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Redwing, Mistle Thrush, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Wood Warbler, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Firecrest, Spotted Flycatcher, Pied Flycatcher, Long Tailed Tit, Willow Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Brambling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, Linnet, Twite, Lesser Redpoll, Crossbill, Bullfinch, Hawfinch, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Corn Bunting.
A couple of escapes have recently been recorded including Cape Shelduck and Black Swan.

*denotes unconfirmed.

I get down there several times a week so will update this as and when I can.

Last edited:
Wyver is also a good place for seeing hunting Hobbies and the first one of the year was seen on Wed 22nd April.

nice to see his thread, not been there in a long while, really must get back there soon.

Thanks Michael. Good to see somebody else gets down there too....though not that often ;) Apparently the DWT have been given a grant to build a viewing mound to make it easier to view the top pool. I had a Wood Sand on there last year but at the moment you can only see part of the pool from the hide or the lane itself. I think a lot of birds get missed on there because of the restricted viewing.

A few of my recent photos from Wyver Lane.
Male Reed Bunting, female Goosander, Robin, Black Headed Gull.

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 288
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 262
Thanks Michael. Good to see somebody else gets down there too....though not that often ;) Apparently the DWT have been given a grant to build a viewing mound to make it easier to view the top pool. I had a Wood Sand on there last year but at the moment you can only see part of the pool from the hide or the lane itself. I think a lot of birds get missed on there because of the restricted viewing.

That top pool is probably better for stuff than the main one at times, be nice to see over it!

Have you heard anything on the sale of the site by the council, Dave? I heard a while back it was mooted...

Cheers

Steph'

That top pool is probably better for stuff than the main one at times, be nice to see over it!

Have you heard anything on the sale of the site by the council, Dave? I heard a while back it was mooted...

Cheers

Steph'

The top pool certainly has its moments when the water is quite low. It's ideal for waders but you can only see a little of it from the hide and that's using a scope. Again, from the lane you can only see a little of it so a viewing mound would be a great addition to the site.

Not heard anything on the sale for some time now.

Managed a few hours down Wyver today before the weather deteriorated.
Good to see and hear a few more migrants now with at least 3 Sedge Warblers and 2 Whitethroats in song. Also a Chiff Chaff and 2 Blackcaps.
A few Hirundines passing through with 15+ Swallows, 10+ Housemartins and 3 Sand Martins....no Swifts yet.

Very little in the way of wildfowl now the winter visitors have all but left. Just a pair of Tufties, pair of Teal, drake Goosander, drake Gadwall and numerous Mallards. The pair of Oystercatchers still remain so fingers crossed they attempt to breed down there....would be the first time.

Plenty of male Reed Buntings flitting about with the females presumably on eggs. The only raptor seen today was a male Sparrowhawk carrying prey. The first Kingfisher sighting of the year made a brief appearance around the main pool before heading back towards the river. A lone male Mute Swan which lost its mate in mysterious circumstances last year is back on the scene and is still seeing off the resident Canada and Greylag Geese.

Attached are several photos of the reserve taken from the hide plus a Mute Swan and Greylag Goose.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 299
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 263
Spent another few hours down Wyver today. Nice to see some warm sunshine today and it certainly brought out the Sedge Warblers who were singing their hearts out seemingly everywhere (photos attached)

Pair of Oystercatchers were very vocal today and would not tolerate anything going near them. Got me wondering if they're in the process of laying/sitting. A single Snipe also seen which surprised me as I thought they had all left for their breeding grounds now.

Not much of wildfowl again except today there were 6 Tufted Ducks and 2 pairs of Teal.

A couple of Buzzard soaring around looked fantastic with the blue sky backdrop, and one even got me thinking it could be a Rough Legged but I dismissed it as Common in the end.

Still no Swifts but 11 Swallows and a single Sand Martin moving through.

Lots of Butterflies today making the most of the weather. Nearly all whites but 3 Small Tortoiseshells also.

Attached photos include 3 of Sedge Warbler and a drake Goosander.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 297
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 274
Had an hour down Wyver yesterday, usual warblers present-Chiff, Sedge,Whitethroat. A male Sparrowhawk carrying prey at the end of the lane by the butts pools.Very quiet on the main pool 2 Teal and a single Tuftie, with the usual Mallards.Large number of Green veined White in fields by the butts pools.

Had an hour down Wyver yesterday, usual warblers present-Chiff, Sedge,Whitethroat. A male Sparrowhawk carrying prey at the end of the lane by the butts pools.Very quiet on the main pool 2 Teal and a single Tuftie, with the usual Mallards.Large number of Green veined White in fields by the butts pools.

Cheers for that, Clive. I also saw a male Sparrowhawk with prey in the same area.

Wyver Lane Bird Notes
April 2009

A fairly quiet month but Warblers return and the first Hobby of the year
also makes a brief appearance.

Very little Wildfowl to report as ever at this time of year as birds leave
for their breeding grounds. Maximum counts include 18 Teal on 6th,
6 Tufted Ducks on 29th, drake Gadwall on 28th, a pair of Mandarin
on 20th, the last report of Wigeon was of a single bird on 6th,
a brood of 8 Mallard young on 24th although three had been lost by
the following day, drake Goosander on 28th.

The first Hobby of the year was of a single bird on the 24th,
a Peregrine flew through on 4th, 2 Buzzards were in the air
on 24th and 29th with singles on many dates, a male
Sparrowhawk with prey on 28th.

c40 Swallows flew through on the 4th, 12 House Martins on 28th,
3 Sand Martins on 6th and 28th.

2 Blackcaps and 2 Whitethroats on 28th, the first Sedge Warbler
was seen on the 20th with at least 3 birds in song on the 29th,
2 Chiff Chaffs also on 29th.

3 Oystercatchers on 4th and a pair seen most days through the
month. A Curlew on 20th, a Common Sandpiper on 17th 3
Lapwings on 28th, a single Snipe on 29th. A Raven on 4th,
a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming on 20th, 2 Pied
Wagtails on 20th, 4 Grey Herons on 25th, 6+ Reed Buntings
on 28th, 3 Cormorants on 29th, 2 Stock Doves on 28th,
The first Kingfisher of the year was seen on 28th, 4 Pheasants
on 6th.

A belated report for 5th May.

At least 4 Sedge Warblers and 3 Whitethroats. A pair of Gadwall still knocking about, Mallards with 8 young. The pair of Oystercatchers are still there and a third appeared and was quickly chased off by the male.
Apparently the lone male Mute Swan is not alone afterall, a female has been sitting but very hard to see through the reeds.

At last my first Swits of the year with 5 birds and 5 were also reported on the 3rd. c20 Swallows, c20 Housemartins and 8 Sandmartins.

Had a walk down the lane for a look at the top pool and could see a Wader, but by the time I got my scope out it had gone. Looked good for a Green Sand but can't be 100%.

Got talking to a local who said he had a possible Yellow Wag on the 29th and 3 Common Tern also.

Other birds of note: Green Woodpecker, Great Spot Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard and Stock Dove.

Thanks Dave and Clive

Firstly I need to thank both of you for posting on this thread;) I've never been to Wyver Lane before today but as I've been reading your posts and only live down the road in Derby thought I'd pay it a visit. Which now brings me to today, went up for a couple of hours this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My sightings were

3 Sedge Warblers
2 Reed Buntings
Magpie
4 Mallard
1 female Mallard with 4 chicks
2 Graylag Geese
10+ Canadian Geese
Dunnock
Pied Wagtail
2 (possibly 3) Lapwings
Coots
some distant Swallows
crows

I'm sure there's some I've forgotten but never mind, the Sedge Warblers made it for me.

Only one other thing, is there anywhere at the bottom of the lane to turn the car round, rather than reversing about 200 yards up the lane again? I'm limited mobility at present so I was told to park next to the hide!

thanks again
Jeanette

Firstly I need to thank both of you for posting on this thread;) I've never been to Wyver Lane before today but as I've been reading your posts and only live down the road in Derby thought I'd pay it a visit. Which now brings me to today, went up for a couple of hours this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My sightings were

3 Sedge Warblers
2 Reed Buntings
Magpie
4 Mallard
1 female Mallard with 4 chicks
2 Graylag Geese
10+ Canadian Geese
Dunnock
Pied Wagtail
2 (possibly 3) Lapwings
Coots
some distant Swallows
crows

I'm sure there's some I've forgotten but never mind, the Sedge Warblers made it for me.

Only one other thing, is there anywhere at the bottom of the lane to turn the car round, rather than reversing about 200 yards up the lane again? I'm limited mobility at present so I was told to park next to the hide!

thanks again
Jeanette

Hi Jeanette,

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself down there today and pleased that you enjoyed the Sedge Warbers too. They do breed down there in quite good numbers. I had a text earlier that Grey Wagtails have bred successfuly and were seen feeding a youngster on the lane today so that's good news.

Also thanks for your sightings, I'll make a note of them. Did you manage to get in the hide with it being permit only? If not, then you are most welcome to come in If I'm in there which is fairly regular although not often at weekends.

In answer to your last question, although the lane itself is a dead end there's ample room to turn your car around.

Cheers

Dave

Wyver Lane

Hi Dave

Yes thanks, I joined the DWT last week, mainly so I could visit Wyver Lane and Draycott, but thank you for your off! I made a note in the log inside the hide, but don't think I remembered to actually sign it, brain was in Sedge Warbler mode;). Cheers for the info on the turning, I'll be braver now and go to the end. Once again thanks for sharing your sightings which gave me the urge to get out there, I had a really good couple of hours, until the rain!! wasn't game to stay incase there was going to be a storm, it got really dark very quickly:eek!: Hopefully in the near future we may bump into each other and be able to say "hi".

whoops, forgot to add the heron!

regards
Jeanette

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back