• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wyver Lane Nature Reserve (DWT) (1 Viewer)

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
I should've posted before but a Bar-tailed Godwit was found on Thursday and is still present today favouring the right hand side of the main pool. This is a long overdue first for Wyver.

Also present today was 2 Common Sands, a Redstart and Lesser Whitethroat. The Oycs failed a couple of weeks ago but appear to be sitting again.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
A quick visit last night produced 40+ Canadas, 75+ Mallard, 2 Shoveler, 5 Teal, female Tuftie with 3 small young, a single Oyc, 20+ Swallow, 2 Swifts and 2 Chiffchaffs. There's a bit of mud around the edges and on the right hand side of the pool so hopefully we'll attract a wader or two if it stays like it.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
The Green Sand and Common Sand were still present last night. The Red-breasted Goose which has been present on and off for a couple of years now is back frequenting the fields on the other side of the river so very hard to see.

Around the main pool and fields were 3 Grey Herons, 107 Canadas, 58 Greylags, 12 Teal, 3 Shoveler, Gadwall and 2 juv Tufties without the female.

30+ Housemartins feeding around the pool with several Swallows and a single Swift. A Whitethroat in front of the hide plus 3 Chiffchaffs.

2 Ravens flew north at 18.45.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
A quick update. 3 Grey Herons around the main pool. Teal have increased to 31, 2 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall. The Red-breasted Goose is still across the river in the company of Canadas and Greylags. Green Sand still present as of yesterday. The first Snipe of the autumn on Monday. A Kingfisher on Monday was the first record for some time.

Chiffchaff, Whitethroat and Sedge all recorded this week. Buzzard and Kestrel the only raptors noted. Small numbers of Swallows and House Martins moving south.

One real surprise is the complete lack of Lapwings. July/August has traditionally been a time where we can get up to 300, whereas this year I've only recorded a single bird on 08/08. Water levels are fine for them so that isn't the problem. Whether they have found somewhere else for their post breeding gathering I don't know. Or maybe it's just down to them declining nationally and we are starting to notice the effects. Either way, quite worrying.

michael23

A shame about the lapwings, a long time has passed since I visited the reserve or anywhere else, I remember the numbers being really good there.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
My first visit for nearly 3 weeks didn't really produce anything too exciting. Teal are up to 70 and Gadwall were at a very healthy 14. The only other duck was Mallard.

Singles of Common Sand and Snipe and 20 Lapwing. The escaped Red-breasted Goose is still frequenting the fields across the river. Little Grebe on the river.

40 House Martins and a few Swallows through. 5 Chiffchaffs, a Goldcrest, Nuthatch, c40 Goldfinch, and a Kingfisher being about it.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
2 Little Egrets down Wyver yesterday morning. I could be wrong but I think it's the first record of more than one on the deck. I had 3 together that flew straight through a number of years ago. No sign of the Egrets pm but 11 Snipe, 84 Lapwing and Common Sand.

102 Teal on 9th is a good count for early September although they were down to 82 yesterday. On 9th also was 4 Wigeon, 8 Gadwall and a Common Sand.

3 Shoveler on 12th along with 5 Gadwall, a single Wigeon and a Common Sand.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Jack Snipe down Wyver this evening. Also 18 Snipe, 127 Teal, 20 Gadwall, 3 Shoveler and 2 Goosander.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Jesus 2 months without me posting. The only highlight recently was probably a Green Sand that was around for several days. The water levels which were very low are now very high after the recent weather. Because of the low water the only duck sp we were getting was Teal but now it's back to normal there's plenty more species.

Yesterday there were 136 Mallard, 9 Gadwall, 105 Teal, 3 Wigeon, 13+ Mandarin over at dusk, 2 Little Grebes, 2 Grey Herons, 6 Goosander, 3 Tufties and a singing Song Thrush. Quite a few Snipe going out at dusk.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
At Wyver last night 97 Mallard, 19 Gadwall, 5 Wigeon, 103 Teal, 5 Goosander, 4 Tufties, c15 Snipe, c100 BH Gulls and a Little Grebe.

At Wyver yesterday (1400-1530hrs): 1 Buzzard (v. pale phase), 6 Goosander (4m), 117 Teal, 11 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 11 snipe, c200 Canada Geese, 3 Greylag, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Gadwall (f), 1 Tufted duck (m),
1 Pheasant, 2 Grey Heron, c 17 Fieldfare (overhead; seen from the Mill end of Wyver Lane).
NB Another birder reported sighting of Kingfisher.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Update for Wyver for the last few weeks. On the 17th the escaped Blue morph Snow Geese came into roost along with 221 Canadas and 147 Greylags. 2 Mute Swans, 30 Wigeon, 86 Teal, 8 Gadwall, a good count of 5 Pochard, 14 Goosander, 41 Snipe and 19 Stock Doves the best of the rest. Also on this date was our first record of Coot for several months (more about this later).

Roll forward to 2nd Feb and there were 233 Canada Geese and a single Pink foot. 59 Teal, 9 Gadwall, 3 Tufties, drake Pochard and 17 Goosander came into roost. Lots of Snipe going out at dusk, maybe as many as 50.

6th Feb. 188 Canada Geese, 100+ Greylags, c50 Wigeon, 38 Teal, 2 Tufties, the returning pair of Oycs, 25 Lapwings, and 18 Goosander into roost.

8th Feb. 6 Cormorants, 2 Little Grebes, the first Shelduck of the year, 74 Teal, 7 Gadwall, 45 Wigeon, 4 Tufties, 64 Lapwings, 2 Oycs, 24 Magpies, and 21 Goosander in the roost is the best of the winter.

9th Feb. 3 Mute Swans, 47 Wigeon, 77 Teal, 5 Tufties, 15 Goosander, 2 Oycs, 54 Lapwings and 104 Black-headed Gulls.

Right then, more on the Coot record. As I stated above, on Jan 17th we had our first record of Coot since September. This caused a little bit of debate on a certain type of social media. A certain type of social media that I don't use. Anyway, the debate simply put was others questioning our 'first Coot record for months' stating that Coots are always there and even dared to put question marks alongside our sightings.

Now Chris and me spend a lot of time down Wyver and when we are there we count everything. We will know if there is or isn't Coots present. Yet others who go down once in a blue moon think they know differently. These others don't actually record Coot and wrongly assume that they are always present.

The reason for the lack of Coots from September up until a few weeks ago isn't something new. It's been happening for years, if we have a dry summer/autumn. Simply put, Coots do not like it at Wyver when the water is shallow. Last year was dry and in fact Wyver still had muddy edges right through until November. Something we rarely see at Wyver.

Therefore, the Coots disappear and only start to come back when the water levels are high again which was the case a few weeks ago when one bird returned. Quickly followed by others so we are now up to 14 birds as of yesterday.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
Update for Feb 12th. Grey Heron, 2 Little Grebes, 234 Canada Geese, 42 Wigeon, pr of Shoveler were fresh in, 67 Teal, 2 drake Pochard, 4 Tufted Ducks, 17 Goosander, pr of Oycs, c200 Starlings and 27 Magpies.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
At Wyver this afternoon/evening 173 Canada Geese, 160 Greylag Geese, 2 Grey Herons, 3 Cormorants, 2 Little Grebes, immature Mute Swan, 110 Teal, 55 Wigeon (blitherinamateur) recorded 57, pr of Shoveler, pr of Gadwall, drake Pochard, 7 Tufted Ducks, 20 Goosander, 2 Oycs, 3 Stock Doves and 32 Magpies.

DaveN

Derwent Valley Birder
The blue morph Snow Goose flew in today with a single Pink-footed Goose, 183 Canadas and 132 Greylags. Teal were down from yesterday's 110 to 65. Wigeon was about the same but difficult to count.

The pair of Shoveler were still on the main pool. As was 2 drake Pochard, c300 BH Gulls, a Grey Heron, 45 Lapwings and the pr of Oycs.

22 Goosander and 9 Tufteds came into roost. 2 Swans flew in late on giving me slight palpitations until I realised they were Mutes.
At least 27 Magpies pre roost and a single Goldcrest near the hide.
The only raptor was 3 Buzzards.

Papa 10

Miserable Old Git
The blue morph Snow Goose flew in today with a single Pink-footed Goose, 183 Canadas and 132 Greylags. Teal were down from yesterday's 110 to 65. Wigeon was about the same but difficult to count.

The pair of Shoveler were still on the main pool. As was 2 drake Pochard, c300 BH Gulls, a Grey Heron, 45 Lapwings and the pr of Oycs.

22 Goosander and 9 Tufteds came into roost. 2 Swans flew in late on giving me slight palpitations until I realised they were Mutes.
At least 27 Magpies pre roost and a single Goldcrest near the hide.
The only raptor was 3 Buzzards.

Dave
Thanks again for these updates. As you are aware it takes a lot to shift me from my little 'paradise' but I believe birds traversing between Wyver and Shipley CP pass over my place hence my continued interest. Hoping Goosander will be added to the garden list in the near future (oh for the chance to sit scanning all day) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread