• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Year listing "British" birds (1 Viewer)

They're all on the list I assure you, (as classified) but appreciate that they're more likely to be encountered on passage as FJ commented.
In Norfolk, Ring Ouzel sightings are passage only. Black Redstart a breeder in Norwich but numbers higher in Autumn at coastal locations. Honey Buzzard breeding has not been confirmed for a few years but wanderers do turn up at "traditional" sites as well as on migration.
Arctic Skuas, now around the East coast after breeding.

Have been looking for other such lists and found this one from 2016 Birdwatching Magazine.

I think the "X" categories fit your bill nicely here don't they.
"XXX" (oo, careful typing that!) are the common birds you would struggle to not see over the course of a year in most cases, the beginners' target list.

"XX" are fairly easy, with a few thrown in to make sure you cover the country catching up with them all, and one or two that will no doubt frustrate.

"X", you'd really have to put the hours and mileage in to see all of these in a year. Maybe aim for a percentage, or go the whole hog.
("X" is a good list of birds to be familiar with, because sooner or later we are all faced with having to identify one of these with no one else around. Most of my satisfaction, and best days in the UK, are finding one of the "X" group, realistically. I can dream of finding something more rare, and maybe will once every few years, but chances are, an "X" will be the highlight in most cases.)

There is incredible variety in the "X" list too.. I have never seen Snowy Owl anywhere, ever.. I get Firecrests in my garden!

The core of the idea was to use planned trips rather than responding and reacting to third party information and I have been getting around this year with planned trips to North Norfolk in May and west coast of Scotland in the summer, plus the usual casual birding nearer to home. But even the shorter lists, such as the Birdwatching 200 list, had birds that would only really be amenable to "twitching" or required being at opposite ends of the country during the pre-breeding display season.

I also had a think about what I actually get out of birding and "being in nature" generally and amassing a list for the sake of it seems to be way down. I will write a list when on a specific trip, or as a bit of friendly competition with friends on a day at Leighton Moss but I have never kept a year list or a life list, bar in my memory.

So, all in all, I decided against such a big, or small, list push and just to enjoy the birds (and mammals and plants and insects and...).

Whilst its a fine idea and will be very enjoyable taking you to lots of great sites (Scottish Highlands etc etc)...the idea that you're differentiating yourself from typical "twitching" year listers is problematic...
When i've done a "big year" and indeed everyone I know thats done one...has basically done EXACTLY the same PLUS twitchin rarities on top...
Being able to have 220-250 Breeders/Wintering birds/Passage regulars "in the bag" is the only way to do it...so sweep up wintering geese in NW England/SW Scotland, grab the Scottish specialties in Rothiemercus/Cairngorm clean up the Norfolk Breeders in May, get your Seabirds at say the Farnes in June etc etc...
Which I would imagine would be how you'd plan your trips

The core of the idea was to use planned trips rather than responding and reacting to third party information and I have been getting around this year with planned trips to North Norfolk in May and west coast of Scotland in the summer, plus the usual casual birding nearer to home. But even the shorter lists, such as the Birdwatching 200 list, had birds that would only really be amenable to "twitching" or required being at opposite ends of the country during the pre-breeding display season.

I also had a think about what I actually get out of birding and "being in nature" generally and amassing a list for the sake of it seems to be way down. I will write a list when on a specific trip, or as a bit of friendly competition with friends on a day at Leighton Moss but I have never kept a year list or a life list, bar in my memory.

So, all in all, I decided against such a big, or small, list push and just to enjoy the birds (and mammals and plants and insects and...).

I think that's really important, knowing what you enjoy, and focussing on that as opposed to something more prescriptive, which has a danger of becoming a chore for many of us. Nothing wrong with finding your own niche.

I always thought of the 'regulars' as the 250 or so in the maps in the back of the (old) Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow (Collins). I still haven't seen them all yet ... ;-)

Then there's about 60 or so regular scarcities (annual) but I think (=code 3??) pretty difficult (or impossible) to catch up with every single one in a year though for the average twitching year lister.

Both would need updating though I think.

An interesting exercise would be to look at the list 'BikingBirder' Gary Prescott achieved and compare - he was covering the whole of the UK in a year, visiting all the RSPB reserves (as a focus), connected with c300 species, and obviously trying to get scarce and rares whilst in the area, whilst still trying to get as many of the regulars as possible ...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back