• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Year Two, Birding in the Pandemic, Lithuania et al. (1 Viewer)

Whooper Swans, Breeding Confirmed. 2 June.

Finally got to see the Whooper Swan cygnets, mega shy parent birds! Since the nest was vacated on 26 May, I had only seen the adults a couple of times ...and then just peering over reeds and promptly cruising off. All signs pointed to chicks in tow, but never did I actually see and, with growing days, I began to worry a little that perhaps that had no actually hatched any youngsters.
On 2 June, approaching quietly, I spotted the adults back on the nest. Still couldn't see any cygnets! Quietly climbed my new observation tower, no alarm among the birds, they didn't see me. Still not a cygnet did I see. Hmm, doubts as to the existence of cygnets grew. After quite some time, one adult spotted me, off into the water it went, then the second, both slinking into a channel vanishing into reeds. There, however, views all too brief, but grey fluffy blobs following the adults! Cygnets! Yay, breeding confirmed, a very much welcome new species for my land, top day.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back