• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-breasted Apalis, Kruger Park, South Africa (1 Viewer)

MacBirdie

still a newbie...
Belgium
Below a bird I saw in the Kruger Park, South Africa, in October 2018 near Skukuza rest camp. Looked like a Yellow-breasted Apalis but even then I had some doubts: dark eye and more elongated stature. It does seem to have a bit of white in front of the eye and a black mask, could it be Rudd's Apalis? Photo was very dark and processed. Which one is it? Thanks!

Attachments

• Kruger18-1510.jpg
    Kruger18-1510.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Kruger18-1511.jpg
    Kruger18-1511.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
According to my book, Rudd's Apalis is not showing the pale outer edges to the tail feathers your bird is showing. I suspect that if you lighten up the images that there might be a hint of red in the eye.

Niels

According to my book, Rudd's Apalis is not showing the pale outer edges to the tail feathers your bird is showing. I suspect that if you lighten up the images that there might be a hint of red in the eye.

Niels
Thank you. In my Sasol they seem to have a narrow pale edge but no white. I did try lighten up a lot more but still no red eye. And I had seen a few Yell. br. A. by then and I remember thinking this was another bird. And the black mask does make me doubt even more. I looked at the photos in the link, but they still look different to me. Thanks for the help.

In ebird, you can switch species. I think those images exclude Rudd’s unless there is a lot of local variations

Niels

In ebird, you can switch species. I think those images exclude Rudd’s unless there is a lot of local variations

Niels
Thank you. Rudd's does look very different except for photo 4 on eBird. You are probably right with Yell.br. It's just that the bird really made me think it was something else. Thanks!

The dark mask effect could possibly be due to shadow, so I wouldn't rely on that as a feature here.
Yes that's right. That would take away that doubt. And the head really was in the shade which would explain the dark eye as well. Well, that's decided then. Thanks for the help!!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back