• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-browed Warbler sp (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Can someone please either sum up verbally, or guide me to links of what's considered classic Hume's vs Yellow-browed Warbler calls? I've just listened to both on Xeno canto, and to be honest they're sounding effectively the same to my ear :eek!:.

I've just found a 'Yellow-browed' in the tit flock in our local park in Bristol, haven't heard it call yet, and want to be fore-armed when I look for it again. Haven't had a good enough view to guess which it is, but the lower mandible did give the impression of look worryingly dark.

Cheers,

Larry

Can someone please either sum up verbally, or guide me to links of what's considered classic Hume's vs Yellow-browed Warbler calls? I've just listened to both on Xeno canto, and to be honest they're sounding effectively the same to my ear :eek!:.

I've just found a 'Yellow-browed' in the tit flock in our local park in Bristol, haven't heard it call yet, and want to be fore-armed when I look for it again. Haven't had a good enough view to guess which it is, but the lower mandible did give the impression of look worryingly dark.

Cheers,

Larry

Only heard the London Humes...a few years back now, to my ear it was a dysalibic "vis-su" as opposed to the single note call of YBW "tsooeest".

All the best with those.:t:

Larry,

Try listening to these classic examples, both recorded on Portland this year.

Hume's

https://soundcloud.com/portland-bird-observatory/humes-warbler-avalanche-road-141216#t=0:00

Yellow-browed

https://soundcloud.com/portland-bird-observatory/yellow-browed-warbler-portland-bill-151016

And some images and a short video of the Hume's.

http://portlandbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/16th-december.html

Hope this helps.

Grahame

Last edited:
Have heard YB as a sibilant di (or tri?)syllabic whistle, similar to a Coal Tit but more exciting.

Hume's more like a Grey Wagtail 'chew -it' from the treetops.

Someone else can probably explain better.

Stupid bloody thing! Seen it a few times today, but it remains stubbornly silent and stubbornly too high in the canopy to accurately assess plumage tones let alone bare part colours. Leaning towards YBW though, as seems to lack greyish tones above, and the super's pretty creamy. Still niggling though, especially given the date, the absence of other Yellow-brows around in general, and the presence of a Hume's at Portland! Shame there's only me and 2 even less experienced locals looking for it :-C.

Last edited:
Stupid bloody thing! Seen it a few times today, but it remains stubbornly silent and stubbornly too high in the canopy to accurately assess plumage tones let alone bare part colours. Leaning towards YBW though, as seems to lack greyish tones above, and the super's pretty creamy. Still niggling though, especially given the date, the absence of other Yellow-brows around in general, and the presence of a Hume's at Portland! Shame there's only me and 2 even less experienced locals looking for it :-C.

Have you tried playing a call to see if it will respond Larry?
Base to the secondaries big and rather defined 'shadow' ?
Late in the year and some Hume's can be surprisingly bright.

Have you tried playing a call to see if it will respond Larry?
Base to the secondaries big and rather defined 'shadow' ?
Late in the year and some Hume's can be surprisingly bright.

Tried playback of both species with no response. It's very flitty, and haven't had a clear enough/close enough view to clock presence or absence of shadow at base of secondaries. Haven't even been able to confirm for sure whether it's got a med covt bar, though think I've glimpsed one a couple of times. Zonking Great covt bar though.

I feel for you, you'll just have to persevere and I know they can be a real pain in the arse to see sometimes. Chances are it'll remain and eventually give itself up.

Nice YBLW with those tertiaries and light coloured bill basis

I understood that the obvious YBW is a different bird, shot at Frome (or on the River Frome?) in Somerset, whereas the bird in question is in Bristol, and is the one in the first photo.

Have I got that right?

Thanks guys. Both same bird, and happy(ish) to go with submitting it as a Yellow-browed. And you may say obvious, but look at enough Hume's pics on eg Oriental Bird Images, and you'll soon find some 'green' ones, and some with bright white tertial fringes and pale bill base.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back