Yellow-Headed Warbler (ID?) (1 Viewer)

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
Hi.

Would someone please help me with the ID (and sex) of this warbler?

Southern Arizona (Madera Canyon), today.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• _DSC1773a.jpg
    _DSC1773a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 106

rkj

I really don't know what this is, but Townsend's Warbler should always have some black streaks on the flanks and some yellow below. The nearest I can come is an immature Cerulean Warbler, though that seems unlikely on range.

KenM

Isn’t this a hybrid of Townsend’s x Hermit, I’ve encountered this type several times on the Oregon West coast?

Cheers

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
No personal experience of these, but looks a much better fit for Hermit; can't see any firm reasons myself to call it a hybrid :t:

KenM

No personal experience of these, but looks a much better fit for Hermit; can't see any firm reasons myself to call it a hybrid :t:

If you read Sibley, it states that hybridisation can occur where they overlap, having seen both species prior to the “hybrid” types that I encountered for the first time several years ago, I can attest to that statement. :t:

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Argentina
This is a straight up Hermit Warbler. I don't see any suggestion of Townsend's influence.

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
A sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

I will amend my description to "Hermit Warbler," as I have no additional evidence of hybridization.

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."
~ Edsger Dijkstra

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
Here are some more photos ...

Here are some more photos ... they may help w/ the ID. (Same individual.)

Attachments

• _DSC1855-1.jpg
    _DSC1855-1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC1858a.jpg
    _DSC1858a.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 28
  • _DSC1916-1.jpg
    _DSC1916-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 26

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
A sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time to comment.

I will amend my description to "Hermit Warbler," as I have no additional evidence of hybridization.

"Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability."
~ Edsger Dijkstra
Yep, though the proofreading pedant in me points out, just "Hermit Warbler", not "Hermit Warbler," - the species doesn't have a comma in its name :t:

Nice extra photos!

JohnKoerner007

Wildlife Photographer
Yep, though the proofreading pedant in me points out, just "Hermit Warbler", not "Hermit Warbler," - the species doesn't have a comma in its name :t:

Commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks in American English (check where I'm from, genius).

Dashes, colons, and semicolons almost always go outside the quotation marks; question marks and exclamation marks sometimes go inside, sometimes stay outside.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks

Nice extra photos!

I know; the images were taken with $16,000 worth of gear (D5 + 400 FL ED).

Users who are viewing this thread