• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-legged Gull (from rubbish photo!)? (S. Yorks, UK) (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Hi all, I've admitted here before on many occasions that I'm a bit of a gull numpty so I'm going to post this unashamedly.

I had a look at a site today where a 3rd summer YLG had been reported among a gang of LBBGs for the last couple of days. On arriving there I soon found a bird of a similar size and shape with a much lighter mantle lurking among them, and fired off a ropey shot with the camera. Sadly it wasn't long before something spooked the flock and they all took flight, with half of them (including the "YLG") disappearing out of view.

Attached is a cropped version of the terrible shot I took, with a couple of LBBGs and a BHG in frame for comparison. Looks good for a YLG to me, but the problem I'm having is I couldn't make out leg colour(!) and wondered if anyone could work miracles peering through this pixellated monstrosity and give any opinions ;)

Attachments

• ylg.jpg
    ylg.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 118
Cheers fellas, after much squinting at pixels I think it's quite clear it's more than likely a herring! Maybe next time...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back