• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Yellow-rumped Warbler? - Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Shot yesterday in eastern Ontario, Canada, I think this was a yellow-rumped warbler. Is there enough of the bird showing to confirm or correct that ID?

Attachments

• DSCN72532BF.jpg
    DSCN72532BF.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 41

Rolosama

Canada
The undertail feathers would make us choose the yellow warbler with the help of this quick guide from Cornell.

Attachments

• Yellow_Tail.png
    Yellow_Tail.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 13

Indobirder

The undertail feathers would make us choose the yellow warbler

However, the undertail is not really yellow. Plus we would then have a very difficult time justifying the eyebrow, steaking, and lack of uniformity.

Yellow-rumped for me, but I'm unfamiliar with Eastern warblers

qwerty5

United States
It looks good for Yellow-rumped. The weird patch of yellow on the belly is misleading, I assume it's just a leaf reflection.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I first thought Yellow-rumped but then I read Yellow Warbler and I got quite confused but the more image sharing on Google I did, I'm settling with Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Plectrophane

Alain Deschamps
If you look at these tail pattern guides from Cornell or Dunn and Garret's, Cape-MAy and Yellow-rumped are compatible with this bird. The underside looks very yellow, which could suggest Cape may, but that's because of the low sun early or late in the day, and, as qwwety says, possible reflection from leaves. . Everything else leads towards Yellow-rumped.

Last edited:
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread