• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtail - subspecies? (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Hello all,

This Yellow Wagtail was photographed today, 24 September, at Aveiro, central Portugal.

I am not sure what subspecies it belongs to, as the bird seems to have some features of flavissima and also of flava.

Could it be a 'Channel Wagtail'?

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• motacilla aveiro.jpg
    motacilla aveiro.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 72
I have great fun tracking down cow fields in September searching for Yellow Wagtails, which don't Breed here but pass on migration. I'm looking for an elusive Citrine Wagtail essentially.

I'm always presented with a field full of birds that bear some resemblance to the bird books but little resemblance to each other. The odd whiter coloured birds always draw my attention. When dealing with flocks it's super hard to try and sift through the calls - maybe should put a recorder out there...

I haven't managed to find a Citrine yet and the white ones turn out to be Yellow. That said I have found some 'English' yellows and one 'thunbergi' (April not Sept).

I see lots of shades of 'blue' headed but am yet to find a channel - it's bizarre as they must fairly common and presumably mostly pass through the Pyrenees, Spain and some find their way to Portugal - where some Yellow overwinter now.

Anyway, I don't really see anything out of the 'norms' that I see through here.

https://www.birdguides.com/articles/focus-on-shades-of-yellow-wagtail

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back