• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorks birding sites affected by HS2 rail line (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Just having a look at the route of the HS2 and it's not looking good for some sites in/near Yorks :(

Some of the affected sites, based on the map, that will be under or next to the high speed rail line include:

Staveley Opencast
Catcliffe Flash
Orgreave Lakes
Woodhouse Washlands NR
Treeton Dyke
Rother Valley CP
Woolly Wood
Smithy Wood
Hesley Wood
Hood Hill Plantation
Short Wood, Worsborough
Horse Carr Wood
Carlton Marsh NR
Cold Hiendley Reservoir
Wintersett Reservoir
Walton Colliery
Southern Washlands NR
Swillington Ings
Weet Wood

All maps here - https://www.gov.uk/hs2-phase-two-initial-preferred-route-plan-and-profile-maps I'm not saying all these sites are going to be destroyed by the route, but some of them undoubtedly will, and all will see some disruption. Carlton Marsh looks like the one that will be gone - the route goes straight down the middle of it.

EDIT - I've not had chance to look at all the more detailed plans, but will do later...

Last edited:
Rare Animal

As one who has lived with and through (?) the despoiling of the West and South Yorkshire landscapes by the heritage of Mining.
It became then my pleasure as I slowly witnessed an unbelievable transformation of these same areas into large Nature reserves and other rural vistas.
I have seen Rivers polluted to within an inch of their lives, from filth dumped into them from the large industries along their routes, recover to the extent that Salmon are now running once more. I showed my Dad, in 1999 ( the year before he died), at Wentbridge, fish in the River Went, which rises where I live. A sight he thought he‘d never see.....
It would now seem I have been mistaken in thinking that this newly recovered Yorkshire is free of blight. It's proposed that we are to be home to an introduced, unwanted, rare wild animal... an animal that will cause havoc to these newly restored homes for Wildlife that we call Ours.
This animal is the Great White Elephant..... :eek!:

Cheers (?) Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back