• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (24 Viewers)

Was just looking for refs to The Dotterell Inn at Reighton and I came across a post in the archives for KnockerNorton. Is this the same as knocker7800?
If anyone has links to the pub history I'd be interested to follow them up

I don't think so, KnockerNorton liked to wind people up from time to time and had other user names like parus and poecile. Maybe it's the way I think but there seemed to be a theme with his user names and an obsession with female anatomy. ;)

you lads seen the winds forecast for this weekend?

SHould be sabines at least....

Looks much more tolerable over the weekend than today, will be doing Spurn next week but keeping a close eye on reports and the weather between now and then. Reckon Teesside and Durham will get the best today.

I don't think so, KnockerNorton liked to wind people up from time to time and had other user names like parus and poecile. Maybe it's the way I think but there seemed to be a theme with his user names and an obsession with female anatomy. ;)

Not the same person but I think the parus and poecile names are because his work involves studying them, probably a touch of irony as well hence the knocker(s). I miss him.

Last edited:
Mark - what about little owl as the pellet's source?

Little owl was one of my possibilities, although the fibrous material and size seems at odds. barn owls are in the area but there was no mouse remnents. should've collected it but the thought of bringing home a fox t**d put me off.

p.s. knockernorton is a infamous rugby league player from hull, probably says something about his age 50+ i reckon.

So far this morning from Spurn, looking up!

Spurn ; 14 Arctic Skua past; also 8 Manx Shearwater, 7 Great Skua, Tree Pipit, Black Redstart and 4 Whinchats. Yesterday Little Stint

Potteric Carr

On reading the reports at Potteric Carr it states the birds on Huxter Well as on (for example cell 1a), does anyone have any idea as to how and where each of the numbered cells are, the map i have just states Huxter Well with no reference to the cell numbers.

Haven't been online for a while, but been to burstwick ski-pond the last 2 sundays with the dog. Last sunday I saw a turtle dove on the wires above the track, the sunday before had prolonged views of a goshawk hunting. Plenty of commoner stuff about too. Bullfinches, warblers, tits and loads of linnets.

On reading the reports at Potteric Carr it states the birds on Huxter Well as on (for example cell 1a), does anyone have any idea as to how and where each of the numbered cells are, the map i have just states Huxter Well with no reference to the cell numbers.

I think I've got this right! At the top of Huxter overlooked by Duchess hide is The Lagoon, to the left of this is a small pond called the stilling pond. The next cell viewable looking directly ahead, which has a tern raft, is Cell 1a. Cell 1b is the next cell along in the same line which is viewable from the Roger Mitchell hide. Back at the top of Huxter overlooked by Hawthorn Bank and St Catherines hides is Cell 2a, Cell 2b is the next one along and is smaller than the other cells, this is usually best viewed from the path where it turns 90 degrees just before the viewing screen. Cell 3a is viewable from the viewing screen and Cell 3b is the next one along and is viewable from the Roger Mitchell hide. West Scrape is at the bottom of Huxter and is viewed from West Scrape hide! On the other side of the path is East Scrape.

25 Spotted Redshanks

wow )

I think I've got this right! At the top of Huxter overlooked by Duchess hide is The Lagoon, to the left of this is a small pond called the stilling pond. The next cell viewable looking directly ahead, which has a tern raft, is Cell 1a. Cell 1b is the next cell along in the same line which is viewable from the Roger Mitchell hide. Back at the top of Huxter overlooked by Hawthorn Bank and St Catherines hides is Cell 2a, Cell 2b is the next one along and is smaller than the other cells, this is usually best viewed from the path where it turns 90 degrees just before the viewing screen. Cell 3a is viewable from the viewing screen and Cell 3b is the next one along and is viewable from the Roger Mitchell hide. West Scrape is at the bottom of Huxter and is viewed from West Scrape hide! On the other side of the path is East Scrape.
thanks for your help everyone, after the wood sandpipers that are around which would be a lifer for me but bloody work means i cant make it before next week grrr!!!! probably migrated further south by then

Flamborough

Nice little fall of migrants today on the outer head including a few pied flycatchers, 2 if not 3 icterine warblers, red backed shrike, wryneck, ortolan bunting, green and wood sandpipers,

Thought I'd have a walk round Hicksons to see if anything had turned up in the little ponds round there. Passed cut hide on the way round so decided to pop in, 2 mins later a big dog was jumping up on the bench next to me. Decided to just clear off and visit the red neked grebe at Hatfield before it cleared off again, cracking bird, followed up with a black necked grebe in the lake next to the main car park, only missed slav today!

Attachments

• IMG_8505.JPG
    IMG_8505.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Thought I'd have a walk round Hicksons to see if anything had turned up in the little ponds round there. Passed cut hide on the way round so decided to pop in, 2 mins later a big dog was jumping up on the bench next to me. Decided to just clear off and visit the red neked grebe at Hatfield before it cleared off again, cracking bird, followed up with a black necked grebe in the lake next to the main car park, only missed slav today!

Should have remembered what Barbara Woodhouse advised ... raise the hand and say 'down' in a firm voice.;)

It is getting bad down there with freakin' dogs though. That's the main reason I hardly ever go to Fairburn nowadays. You tend to get fed up of the bloody things taking a jimmy on the legs of your tripod....if you're lucky it's the tripod. Plus some of them look like they ain't been fed for a couple of weeks and me being a fat lad I can't help feeling like dinner when those things are around.

Ldv

its quiet today. Low water levels,only duck were 3 mallard. A few lapwings and managed WW/chiffchaff/sedgeW/ReedW but all were very hard to find.So quiet! But Little Egret showing well!!

Attachments

• reedwarblerwb.jpg
    reedwarblerwb.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 92
  • le.jpg
    le.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 75

You can find a map of the cells on huxter well marsh on the potteric carr website. Click the Recording & Publications link and then open the 2008 Huxter Well CBC pdf.

Cracking day today. Went to Spurn first thing and connected with the Citrine wagtail and also managed an icterine warbler and red backed shrike. Good support in the form of 5 little egrets, wood sandpiper, green sandpiper, pied flycatcher and whinchat.
I also had a drive to Hornsea mere tonight with my daughter and got some fantastic views of the white winged black tern.
Had worse days I suppose;)

White winged black tern

I had another visit to hornsea mere tonight for the white winged black tern.
It was showing beautifully near the first field on the south side and put on a magnificent display throughout the evening.
Good support with little gull, common sndpiper, common scoter, greenshank and avocet (which is apparrently a mega rarity for Hornsea mere).
For anyone interested there are more shots on the blog.

Attachments

• WWBT4.jpg
    WWBT4.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127
  • WWBT5jpg.jpg
    WWBT5jpg.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 103
It was showing beautifully near the first field on the south side and put on a magnificent display throughout the evening.
Good support with little gull, common sndpiper, common scoter, greenshank and avocet (which is apparrently a mega rarity for Hornsea mere).

Martin, just curious - I know you usually digiscope - how did you capture these?

nice pics!!!!!

At least one adult yellow-legged gull in the Redmires roost last night, with a probable second adult and possible 1st cy in there too (didn't have the scope on me so can't be certain).

Martin, just curious - I know you usually digiscope - how did you capture these?

I was digiscoping last night, the light was great and i was getting a shutter speed of over 1/1000. My camera was fixed to the scope and I viewed the bird through the diopter so it was essentially like using a dslr and lens, I gambled on using manual operation of the shutter and fired off a load of shots any time it came near. these two were my best shots, i was quite chuffed when they came up on screen;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back