• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

2 still - from that Id go with a long staying male/female pair. As good a chance as you'd get with staying. But its Blacktoft and birds can go missing. Having said that I have seen Garganey there a couple of times. You have to be in it to win it. Id rather twitch them there than on a coastal marsh where they will bugger off quick smart.

Thank you for the update - thank you also for spurring me onto going.

Just wanted to update ............. left work at five, arrived at Blacktoft at six, went to the First Hide ( as per the board at the visitor centre )

Scanned the pool - Pochard, Mallard, Shoveler, Wigeon, Gadwall, Coot, Moorhen & Little Grebe ........... no Garganey

Spent 10 minutes watching the pool and then a pair of smallish ducks flew up from the near edge ( obscured by the long grass ) - I had my bins on the lead duck and then quickly checked the second ......... drake Garganey :t:

I watched it land and spent some time watching it - grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Was back home by 7.30pm - another lifer and also added Marsh Harrier to my year list, a very productive evening

Mal Skelton

Rock Bunting

Back from Spain, wasn't a birding trip although I managed a couple of half days at good sites. 80 Species for the trip, just one lifer, rufous bush chat.

Made a point of trying to get a picture of this bird!

Attachments

• rock bunting.jpg
    rock bunting.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 108
Can I check the exif data from the original photo before I buy the air tickets purely to avoid a wasted journey;)
We stick twitchers have to be careful of people taking the proverbial out of our esoteric hobby.

Spent 10 minutes watching the pool and then a pair of smallish ducks flew up from the near edge ( obscured by the long grass ) - I had my bins on the lead duck and then quickly checked the second ......... drake Garganey :t:

Mal Skelton

Thank goodness for that Mal - well done mate!

Thank you for the update - thank you also for spurring me onto going.

Just wanted to update ............. left work at five, arrived at Blacktoft at six, went to the First Hide ( as per the board at the visitor centre )

Scanned the pool - Pochard, Mallard, Shoveler, Wigeon, Gadwall, Coot, Moorhen & Little Grebe ........... no Garganey

I watched it land and spent some time watching it - grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Was back home by 7.30pm - another lifer and also added Marsh Harrier to my year list, a very productive evening

Mal Skelton

Glad you got it!

Anyone know if there are any reliable sites in Yorkshire at the moment for Crossbill or Turtle Dove?

There are at least 5 sites in E Yorks which are reliable for Turtle Dove. I've only ever had brief fly-over views at Thorne, but they were singing there on Saturday.

My classes had views like these 2 weeks running at a site in Holderness:

http://eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/2011/05/grope-behind-boatshed.html

http://eybirdwatching.blogspot.com/2011/05/swings-roundabouts.html

Glad you got it!

Thanks for the help - as I said, this was my 20th attempt for Garganey ..... when I first got to Blacktoft and went into the First Hide there was no sign.

I spent ages trying to convince myself that a partially obscured female Gadwall might be a female Garganey ...... that's how desperate I was. Then I saw it fly, land and watched it for about 20 minutes.

I left the hide with a huge grin - went down to the next one to watch some Harriers, but had to go back to First Hide again just to make sure I hadn't imagined it.

I managed to knock off a couple of bogey birds in the last couple of years ( Peregrine at Malham Cove, Bittern at a frozen Saltholme in December ) and each time I can't drag myself away from viewing them. I remember how many places I've been too hoping for them - only to be disappointed, when I finally connected I wanted to watch them forever.

It's strange that in September I was on a cruise in Kaikoura, 2 feet away from 5 different species of Albatross ......... but a Garganey near Goole generates the same level of excitement.

Isn't birding brilliant :)

Mal Skelton

What's your new bogey bird?

I don't think I've got a bogey bird anymore ........ this is what I'd call the priority list, cleaning up those I really should have seen by now :)

Commons

- Crossbill - Knot - Rock Pipit - Tree Pipit - Whinchat

Local

- Black Redstart - Grasshoppher Warbler - Nightingale - Dotterel - Nightjar - Firecrest - Hooded Crow - Pied Flycatcher - Red Necked Grebe - Slav Grebe - Snow Bunting - Water Pipit - Whimbrel - Wood Lark

There are many, many, many others - these are probably the most embarrassing. I suppose Dotterel or Pied Fly will be bogey birds next, been after them both a few times and dipped ........ Pied Fly generally because I get out too late and the foliage is too thick

As always, any suggestions for local sites would be great. I don't get out too often or for too long ( I can't wait until my 3 year old is old enough to sit quietly and watch birds )

Mal Skelton

Mal
if you can get over there, pied fly is a nailed on cert in the woods along the Strid at Bolton Abbey. We found several in the course of our walk on Sunday morning.

Mal
if you can get over there, pied fly is a nailed on cert in the woods along the Strid at Bolton Abbey. We found several in the course of our walk on Sunday morning.

Any info on birding strid appreciated, best areas + areas to avoid etc. I've never been but been told its a good area for quite afew species.

I don't think I've got a bogey bird anymore ........ this is what I'd call the priority list, cleaning up those I really should have seen by now :)

Commons

- Crossbill - Knot - Rock Pipit - Tree Pipit - Whinchat

I know for a fact you can get all these nearer to home, but if you find yourself in my neck of the woods any time soon I can sort you out with Tree Pipit and Whinchat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back