• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (25 Viewers)

Shame you didn't get the mammals Chris but am a little jealous of the tawny owl as we could only manage a bird calling on our trip.

Following the 'meet report' from Keith D last weekend, my family dragged ourselves out of bed at 3am this morning and from 5.15am to 9.30am walked from Barden Bridge to Cavendish Pavillion and back on the other side of the river. It was a grim and rainy morning but we saw 40 species including:
kingfisher (three different sightings that we thought were possibly two birds), dipper, common sandpiper, wood warbler (several heard but great views of one), pied flycatcher (fantastic regular views of lots of individuals), redstart and tawny owl (outstanding views of a bird in a dead tree 20 yards from us, which we were able to watch for ten minutes and move on leaving it still sitting there). A couple of close up views of young GS Woodpeckers were another highlight as were some close encounters with herons.

The hoped for otter and deer didn't materialise, and my older girl (aged 11) woke up with a cold that didn't get any better for being up painfullly early and out in the rain, but we had a great time in some superb countryside. Haven't been there for fifteen years but will be back.

Thanks to rubbish weather I'm at home, instead of out walking with the lady wife. Couldn't be better as I've been able to observe two bits of bird behaviour that I've never seen before.
First was a male bullfinch making like a hummingbird when it was stripping the buds off the plants in the garden. It was hovering for a few seconds whilst it got a good grip on the bud and then flying upwards to strip the bud from the plant. Did this on 8 occasions that I saw but judging from the lack of buds on the plant when I looked later it must have been closer to 20 or 25. Wife's not too unhappy about it, although it will create a gap in her floral display.
The other bit of behaviour was watching a carrion crow on the grass verge across the road from the house. First attracted my attention by a peculiar call it gave, sort of a wheezy caw. The bird was on the deck and at first I thought it was 'mantling' a prey item. Wings outstretched, it was actually lying down on the ground and seemed to be pecking at itself. It dawned on me that the bird may be 'anting' but I couldn't believe that this was so. Watched it for a few minutes before it seemed to shake itself and fly off. Examination of the area of verge where the bird had been does seem to support anting being the intention as there is a nest entrance exactly where the bird was laid down, and the ants were very active.

I was garden watching Saturday and saw something, not quite as special as Keith, with the Crow, but to me just as interesting. A Magpie had picked up a dry bread scrap and brought it to the pond edge then "dunked" it before eating it... I couldn't believe it and told the wife, who said "Yes, it does it regularly, haven't you seen it before.....and you call yourself a birdwatcher........." QED....:t:
Joe

Once saw a carrion crow doing this, at first I thought it was fishing the bread out of the pool but when I watched closely it was picking bread up from the deck by the pool and dunking it. Clever birds corvids

Had a nice cruise-by from a red kite tonight on the commute, I was at the lights by the Selby Road/York Road junction and was quite happy sat there watching the bird as it drifted across York Road and disappeared over the houses on the Halton Estate. Hope it was tooled up as that's one area I wouldn't visit without a Uzi.;)

I was garden watching Saturday and saw something, not quite as special as Keith, with the Crow, but to me just as interesting. A Magpie had picked up a dry bread scrap and brought it to the pond edge then "dunked" it before eating it... I couldn't believe it and told the wife, who said "Yes, it does it regularly, haven't you seen it before.....and you call yourself a birdwatcher........." QED....:t:
Joe

A nice couple of hours at Wykeham Forest today (11.15 to 1.15).

Honey Buzzard showing as soon as we got there, a nice comparison had with a Common Buzzard which was in the air at the same time. A pair of Crossbills were perched up, then 3 more flew over. A Goshawk then followed.
Nearby there were 2 Turtle Doves.

I once saw a crow standing on the roof of a parked car and 'going mad' pecking at the windscreen rubber surround.
We have had a female blackbird with a badly deformed wing in our garden for at least the last 3-4 years. The wing hangs down very low and the feathers are 'untidy' but it still flies OK. Anyway Tracey feeds it and it comes when she calls it. Last week we saw it on the lawn feeding fledglings. It was wierd, it felt like having grandchildren.

Hadraw,Hawes etc

Hi All,
I am looking to come down to your area this weekend and to camp at The Green Dragon Hadraw,can anyone enlighten me on local sites, I have Brendan Threlfalls book,Birdwatching in The Yorkshire Dales, but wondered if anyone could offer more local tips ? Much appreciated if you could,send a PM if necessary. Thank you. Andy K,Sunderland.

Redhouse and surrounds

Haven't had much chance to be out and about much, managed 2 hrs on local patch today.

Main feature is that breeding birds seem to be doing well;Chiffchaff/Blackcap/Willow W/Garden W all witnessed feeding young.A pair GCGs arrived but now gone, sole interest on res a lingering cormorant and male tufted duck!!!!

Juveniles of WW/Chiffchaff/Whitethroat/Blackcap?and most of tits seen.Hope they continue to do well!

Paul

Attachments

• blackcap4.jpg
    blackcap4.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 54
  • longtailedtit1.jpg
    longtailedtit1.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 57
  • longtailedtit2.jpg
    longtailedtit2.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 70
  • whitethroat3.jpg
    whitethroat3.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 69
  • willowwarbler3.jpg
    willowwarbler3.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 60
Anyone know if the phalarope at blacktoft is still present. I'm tempted to go over this evening having missed several good species recently hoping they would stick more than a day...

Thanks

Visited North Cave Wetlands for the first time today, great views of Avocets (never seen one before), Lapwings and the ubiqitous Coot. Gadwalls and Great Crested Grebes (both firsts) were exciting to see also. Reed Bunting and Goldfinches were present on way into reserve near WildBird cafe. Before that was at Brough Harbour and saw Shelduck, Oystercatchers and Meadow Pipits. Despite getting out a bit more recently have still not seen any Woodpeckers but will post here if and when i catch sight of my first one, can't be long now, am chalking off new birds every time I go out!

Keep it up Nickynak, when you get to know the woodpecker calls you'll find it easier to see them assuming they're not doing a good job of hiding.

Hawes,hadraw etc

Hi All,
I am looking to come down to your area this weekend and to camp at The Green Dragon Hadraw,can anyone enlighten me on local sites, I have Brendan Threlfalls book,Birdwatching in The Yorkshire Dales, but wondered if anyone could offer more local tips ? Much appreciated if you could,send a PM if necessary. Thank you. Andy K,Sunderland.

Hi again,
Any advice from anyone please,definately visiting this weekend.
Thanks
Andy K

Sorry Andy, I rely on Brendan's book for info on that area myself so can only point you at the book.
I can't think of anyone who birds up that end of the county on a regular basis.

Hi again,
Any advice from anyone please,definately visiting this weekend.
Thanks
Andy K

Phal was still present at 4.00, that's when I saw it. Looked pretty settled on the water at Marshland hide.
I wasn't supposed to be birding today but couldn't resist a smash and grab when I saw the phal come up on birdguides. Cost me though as t'wife was home before I got back, damn that rush hour traffic.

Thanks for the updates, will twist a few arms for a car and try my luck :)

The 2 yank wigeon were very pleasant on my journey home today. There was a female Eurasian wigeon to compare the duck with and they were nice and showy.

Sorry Jim, I much prefer my cetaceans alive. Had a passing glimpse of a sperm whale when on holiday in Tenerife and don't really want to spoil that memory.

Rob and Ken last years LEO's were seen on the 3 June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back