• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

Does not surprise me in the least,similar apparently happened on our local YWT reserve last winter.All for a picture that may never be seen by anyone but himself.This does seem to be happening more often and it is getting sensible photographers a bad name,I think I would feel guilty just carrying a camera in some areas nowadays.

Guilt!

Pete I know the feeling! But this was an instance where everyone present could have life keeping images of a Leo, save for one individuals behaviour.
I later relocated the Leo in more typical deep roost habitat and put a few on to it. It was still within 20 feet but partly obscured. Everyone behaved superbly!
That positive is tarnished when I heard today that a female birder climbed over the barbed wire fence after most had left and flushed it again.
No wonder not seen today!

3 seos still present, just hope they are observed from now on!

to the guy at Buckton today,,,beard ,600mm lens on a monopod, and a black and white dog.I don't know if u visit this site but if u do, please take note of the following:
1) Its impossible to photograph a LEO at 10 feet with your lens
2)when someone,,ie me,,puts u onto this bird ,and tells u that u should walk past the bird and then assess the situation u should listen
3)especially when u have a dog
4)u shouldn't then persue the flushed owl across the site which is a triple sssi
5)at least u did respond when shouted at to get out of the dell
6)you prevented several other birdwatchers seeing the bird which was sat comfortably and settled until u ignored all advice
7)I hope u never come to Buckton again
8)if u do return,please don't beat gorse bushes trying to flush owls.
9)Learn some field craft,start by leaving your dog at home.
10)can't wait to see your pic of a LEOs left eye,what a lens u have!

apologies to all for my rant, sounds unbelievable,but its all true.

So sad........
Not been up there since Friday Paul, but by the sound of it dickheads flushing the Owls again this afternoon....

Not been up there since Friday Paul, but by the sound of it dickheads flushing the Owls again this afternoon....

These type of photographer's don't give a toss about the birds, my local reserve (Saltholme) suffered the same type of behaviour a couple of years ago and now when the bird is showing, one of the hide guides stands in all weathers to point the bird out and to make sure its not disturbed, people like that don't give a toss about the birds welfare, just the photograph, now not all are like that just the tossers.

Damian

I think most of us on here would agree with Damian and others,don't suppose it is much good complaining on here unless it could be put in pictures as it is doubtful if the culprits can read.Even had a problem similar to this last winter when a "photographer" wanted a c;lose up on the Snipe on our bit of wetland a couple of streets away.When a local called him to task he was threatened with all sorts of horrors.

Walked the Strid today - parked up by Laund House to avoid paying car parking charges. 2 drumming woodpeckers as we descended to the footpath, travelled upstream on the East bank of the river, not much happening for most of the way. A few mallard on the river but not much in the way of small stuff in the trees. A few nuthatches calling, I reckon there may have been half dozen birds in total. At the stone hut there were only chaffinches and blue tits coming down to seed. By the time we had reached the viaduct the best bird seen was dipper, once across the viaduct we found 6 mandarins close in to the bank on the other side - no wonder we'd not seen them. Started to see great tits as we neared the Strid area, plenty of blackbirds feeding in the undergrowth. Just below the Strid there were a large group of mandarins hauled up on the opposite bank resting, I counted 18 birds, roughly equal numbers of males and females. Found 2 female goosander on the river and had a couple of males fly upstream. Found a second dipper just where the stream from the Valley of Desolation enters the river. Just by the bodgers place a male mandarin flew upstream making 25 in total for the morning. Last year we had a large flock of brambling just downstream of the bodgers, not so this year, hardly any beech mast there. After something wet, warm and overpriced at the Cavendish Pavilion we walked back up the East bank, finding 2 more dippers on the shallows just above the bridge, more goosander by the islands. A mixed flock of fieldfare and redwing flew NE across the valley as we crossed the bridge but they were quite high so I imagine they were moving a distance rather than a field or two. Back at the car and the 2 woodies were still drumming away. All in a reasonable walk on a nippy morning. Red grouse as we crossed Blubberhouses Moor were a very nice year tick

Just a reminder to Keith and others visiting Bolton Abbey that midweek parking is free in January and reduced in Feb and March during the week.
Thanks for the report Keith must get there very soon,being retired it will be midweek of course.

Last edited:
Hiya folks. Does anyone know anything about Ring Necked Parakeets in Huddersfield? I was in a place called Armitage Bridge just outside Hud today and two RNP flew into a nearby tree. I sent it to bird guides but they didn't seem interested. Are they well known as I've never heard of them around there?

Any thoughts on how probable the probable American Herring Gull reported earlier in the week at Rufforth is? With quite a few white-wingers at the same site hopefully people are continuing to look.

There's pics on twitter Phil and on Tim Jones blog. It got a good response credential-wise on there. Not seen again since for a final 'clinch' alas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back