• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

Coming up from Essex for a couple of days to Bempton next week. Wondering if anywhere within say 30 mins of there we might also find Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Dipper, maybe Golden Plover in breeding plumage. Basically birds we don't get to see down here.
Ta, Dave

Depending which way you come up and if you get chance of a detour, Padley Gorge in Derbyshire will get you redstart, pied fly and dipper. Not sure of anywhere reliable for all three near Bemoton.

Had a fabulous sight in my back garden yesterday - a young GS Pecker being fed by its mum. They stayed there for about 5 minutes - the mum would fly to a feeder with a suet cake in it, take a beak-full and then fly back to the fence to feed junior. Managed to get a few shots of this.

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpg
    IMG_9688.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9743.jpg
    IMG_9743.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9746.jpg
    IMG_9746.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 69
Hartlepool Sea Trip Sunday 26th 2015

Hi

Havent posted this on the Yorkshire Forum before but there are still a few places left on this trip, looking for cetaceans ( Harbour Porpoise, Bottle Nosed Dolphin, White beaked Dolphin and Minke Whale are all possible, and there are reports of increased Humpback activity around UK waters ) and seabirds, we should get a good selection including Sooty Shearwater, various skuas etc Good opportunities for you photographers.

£40 for the trip, this is not a profit making trip, all costs go to hire of the boat which is covered by necessary insurances, toilet and coffee provided

Hartlepool is easily accessed from much of Yorkshire and as far as I am aware this is the first trip of it's kind from Hartlepool and no reason why we shouldnt do just as well as the other sea trips

Let me know if you are interested

David

Damn I am on the way back from Devon that day... doubt I could leave Devon at 10am and get to Hartlepool for the sailing unles it was really late afternoon

Been skimming this thread for a few years now, finally got to see my first Greater Spotted Woodpecker the other week so thanks for all the birders on here who have given me advice on how to see them, its taken me a while but finally spotted one, two in fact. I like to do things myself so I didn't know the birds would be where I went (East Park Hull) but I heard a baby calling then saw the parent feeding the chick, the chick was easy to watch so got good views.

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help please. I'm a bit out of the loop in recent years but was hoping someone could tell me the breeding status of Siskin, specifically between York and Pocklington. I was birding around there this weekend and had a flock of c.8 flying around. Guessing this is the southern end of their breeding range. As I said, I'm a bit out of touch with their current breeding status. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rach

Hi Rach. I don't know that area well but Siskin breed much further south e.g. they are common in the Peak District to the west of Sheffield, Wales, the Norfolk Brecks, parts of the south coast etc. (see this map; http://www.bto.org/sites/default/fi...in/siskin-breeding-distribution-2008-2011.png.). In addition currently a large 'invasion' is underway (presumably of birds from the Baltic area) so birds will be turning up in a lot of areas that they don't normally breed.

Last edited:
Thanks Melodious, I didn't see any evidence of them breeding so maybe they are part of the 'invasion'. I was just curious really so thank you for your prompt reply.

Interestingly some of our local Siskins bred really early this year with young fledged in April so alternatively your birds might involve a more local post-breeding movement.

Hi,

Don't know if anyone can help please. I'm a bit out of the loop in recent years but was hoping someone could tell me the breeding status of Siskin, specifically between York and Pocklington. I was birding around there this weekend and had a flock of c.8 flying around. Guessing this is the southern end of their breeding range. As I said, I'm a bit out of touch with their current breeding status. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rach

I came across a singing male during the breeding season a couple of years ago. It was in Allerthorpe woods, which are mainly conifers, so I guess it could have been breeding. I don't know for certain if they breed there in any numbers, as that's my only sighting during the summer months. They are certainly more plentiful there outside the breeding season

There seem to be a few gaps in knowledge regarding British Siskin's breeding biology. For example BTO can't give a first clutch laying date;

http://app.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob16540.htm

I tend to encounter young Siskins locally in May-June but these may well be 2nd broods; April fledging seems widely reported. I don't know is they have been recorded making significant movements between broods either.

Hi

Havent posted this on the Yorkshire Forum before but there are still a few places left on this trip, looking for cetaceans ( Harbour Porpoise, Bottle Nosed Dolphin, White beaked Dolphin and Minke Whale are all possible, and there are reports of increased Humpback activity around UK waters ) and seabirds, we should get a good selection including Sooty Shearwater, various skuas etc Good opportunities for you photographers.

£40 for the trip, this is not a profit making trip, all costs go to hire of the boat which is covered by necessary insurances, toilet and coffee provided

Hartlepool is easily accessed from much of Yorkshire and as far as I am aware this is the first trip of it's kind from Hartlepool and no reason why we shouldnt do just as well as the other sea trips

Let me know if you are interested

David

Any places left on this trip David?

Hi,

Rach

I don't know your neck of the woods, but they're not particularly uncommon breeders in the Sheffield area, occupying 26% of Tetrads with confirmed breeding in 40 in the 2003-08 Breeding Atlas. This is a significant rise on the previous Atlas from '85.

I came across a singing male during the breeding season a couple of years ago. It was in Allerthorpe woods, which are mainly conifers, so I guess it could have been breeding. I don't know for certain if they breed there in any numbers, as that's my only sighting during the summer months. They are certainly more plentiful there outside the breeding season

We had our first ever summer record of an immature Siskin in the garden this evening (Hull). I've no idea where this bird could possibly have originated from.

Siskins were late breeders here - with young only recently flying.
Course they could have been second broods and nested earlier too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back