• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

is currently on shetland hoping to fly out to Fair isle this afternoon, if the fog lifts. This is after my plane yesterday from Aberdeen was 4 hours late and landed on Orkney instead of Shetland due to fog. Then I took an 8 hour ferry from Orkney to Shetland at 11 pm yesterday night. At least you could call it an adventure.
Some good birds though from ferry and in Kirkwall such as Razorbill, Puffin and Great Skua

is currently on shetland hoping to fly out to Fair isle this afternoon, if the fog lifts. This is after my plane yesterday from Aberdeen was 4 hours late and landed on Orkney instead of Shetland due to fog. Then I took an 8 hour ferry from Orkney to Shetland at 11 pm yesterday night. At least you could call it an adventure.
Some good birds though from ferry and in Kirkwall such as Razorbill, Puffin and Great Skua

You should have an excellent time! I have just come back from Orkney and both the islands are fantstic placed to birdwatch. Hopefuly you will get something good on Fair Isle, however it is just a little bit to early. But you never know!

You should get numerous Arctic and Great Skuas on your travels, just to wet your appertite I believe a Black-browed Albatross was seen from one of the Northlink Ferries last year!:t:

Have a good time! :)

Hopefully you will have a great time up there! I look forward to hearing about your trip! :t:

This weekend i had my first ever ringing 'experiences'. I H
handled Redpoll, goldcrest, song thrush and rook to name a few on sunday, and monday saw me ringing tree sparrows!

Have just finished updating my diary from my trip to Scotland with Simeon (mr.sim) and Connor Rand if anyone fancies giving it a read (or if you can't be bothered to plough through the whole thing I've coloured in good birds in blue and rare birds/lifers in red, and nicked several of Simeon's photos).

Sorry we got the surfies without you Joseph! They were just tiny black dots with even tinier white dots on them though. I'd suggest only going when the sea is completely calm! It was really nice meeting you.

Have just finished updating my diary from my trip to Scotland with Simeon (mr.sim) and Connor Rand if anyone fancies giving it a read (or if you can't be bothered to plough through the whole thing I've coloured in good birds in blue and rare birds/lifers in red, and nicked several of Simeon's photos).

Sorry we got the surfies without you Joseph! They were just tiny black dots with even tinier white dots on them though. I'd suggest only going when the sea is completely calm! It was really nice meeting you.

Just had a read through, sounds brilliant! Surf Scoters :eek!::eek!:! love them, never seen one in the uk though.
Today is my last day in the Ne for a while, and probably my last acess to a computer for about three weeks. I will check up on everything from my phone though! Can't wait to get down there though. Setting off to drive over night, and hopefully arriving at dawn tomorrow, will give us a while longer in cornwall two.
See ya,
Birding maniac

Went on my first pelagic yesterday, organised by my local bird club. We went out 10 miles off Fleetwood in a small fishing boat and deployed chum before following the slick back into the coast. At least 6 Manx Shearwaters were seen at close quarters as well as single Fulmar, Gannets, Kittiwakes, Guillemots, Sandwich Terns and a pair of Arctic Tern. No Storm Petrels seen unfortunately but still hope to see them in the next week.

Going to Northumberland this weekend in the hope of seeing some seabirds. There are still large numbers of Puffins and Terns on the Farnes so I hope to get out there one day and also hope to get a look around some of the reserves e.g. Cresswell Pond.

Finally next weekend I'm doing a sponsored non motorised bird race next weekend. Check out the blog (http://nonmotorisedbirdrace.blogspot.com)for more details and email me if you want to sponsor me ;)

Hello James,

It was really nice meeting you too - and my pleasure telling you about Murcar, showing you the Ythan, and such like. A fantastic account of the day and the rest of your holiday there, well done. I will have my day with the surf scoters, I really will! I don't expect them ever to be confiding though, more like reculcitrant! Cheers, and hope to see you again at some point in the future!

Just thought I'd tell you guys that I've just bought a Canon 400mm lens off Ebay, and it will be arriving within the next few days! o:) I'm also getting a Canon 40D but have bidded on it so will have to wait till tommorrow before the bidding has finished and to see if I win it before I buy. This will be my first set of photographic equipment, and I'm really excited to using them. I'm hoping that they will both arrive in time for Friday - when I'm going down to stay in the North Yorkshire Moors. On the way back I will likely visit Wykeham Forest in search of Honey Buzzard and Goshawk, and will also likely meet Andrew Kinghorn and go in search of LEO's - may be a good oppurtunity to use the equipment. Really excited, and hoping that I'll have a good time down in the Yorkshire area and that I will quickly discover what my equipment will have to offer. :t:

Cheers,

Joseph

Last edited:
Hello James,

It was really nice meeting you too - and my pleasure telling you about Murcar, showing you the Ythan, and such like. A fantastic account of the day and the rest of your holiday there, well done. I will have my day with the surf scoters, I really will! I don't expect them ever to be confiding though, more like reculcitrant! Cheers, and hope to see you again at some point in the future!

Just thought I'd tell you guys that I've just bought a Canon 400mm lens off Ebay, and it will be arriving within the next few days! o:) I'm also getting a Canon 40D but have bidded on it so will have to wait till tommorrow before the bidding has finished and to see if I win it before I buy. This will be my first set of photographic equipment, and I'm really excited to using them. I'm hoping that they will both arrive in time for Friday - when I'm going down to stay in the North Yorkshire Moors. On the way back I will likely visit Wykeham Forest in search of Honey Buzzard and Goshawk, and will also likely meet Andrew Kinghorn and go in search of LEO's - may be a good oppurtunity to use the equipment. Really excited, and hoping that I'll have a good time down in the Yorkshire area and that I will quickly discover what my equipment will have to offer. :t:

Cheers,

Joseph

Hope you have a nice time! As i said you wont be disappointed with the set up. The lens is amazing to use!!
Pelagic on Saturday!

hI everyone , just updated my blog with 3 patch ticks :t:

Hi Joseph good luck with your camera , look forward to seeing your photos in the future :t:

Hi Jonny well done on your sea watching trip and good luck on the Farnes :t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

Cheers all, cos I am so far behind with my blog I'm either thinking about using an image hosting site to host my cameras or have a photography blog where I just post my photographs. Talking of my blog I've just posted an entry on my day to Arne RSPB and Poole Harbour back in April (I'm that far behind, call me pathetic!) in which I had a great time. If you'd like to read more that would be much appreciated, as would any comments or feedback. :t:

Thanks,

Joseph

Cheers all, cos I am so far behind with my blog I'm either thinking about using an image hosting site to host my cameras or have a photography blog where I just post my photographs. Talking of my blog I've just posted an entry on my day to Arne RSPB and Poole Harbour back in April (I'm that far behind, call me pathetic!) in which I had a great time. If you'd like to read more that would be much appreciated, as would any comments or feedback. :t:

Thanks,

Joseph

I know how you feel mate i'm miles behind with mine aswell. However I have finally uploaded the final part of my Dorset Trip report o:Do:D so if anyone wants to take a look it's on my blog now :t:

I try and keep my blog posts short but packed full of information on key birds I saw. It seems to work and I always think it helps my followers to keep interested. Partly because it doesn't take a long time to read all my posts. I do much the same on BirdForum, I don't post long paragraphs so that it looks easy to read and wouldn't take 4 hours to read :-O

Ha, I thought I was a young birder for the site at 24, turns out im old! Nice to see interest from such youngsters!

I try and keep my blog posts short but packed full of information on key birds I saw. It seems to work and I always think it helps my followers to keep interested. Partly because it doesn't take a long time to read all my posts. I do much the same on BirdForum, I don't post long paragraphs so that it looks easy to read and wouldn't take 4 hours to read :-O

Was that a subtle piece of constructive criticism aimed in my direction, Andrew. :-O I'm sure if I was up to date the interest would increase in my blog. :t:

Canon 40D and Canon 400mm arrived on Tuesday, and I managed to make my first pictures with them yesterday. I was pretty happy with the results, seeming they were my first shots - getting a picture of a Swift in flight and a Herring Gull on a chimney pot (its always good to start with birds round the garden in my opinion). I unfortunately can't upload them onto BF as I haven't got round to uploading the Canon software onto my computer, but I'm going away for a week and a half or so down to the North Yorkshire Moors and will be taking the camera and lens with me, so I'll probably take a fair amount pictures whilst I'm in that area. On the way back I'm going to do some birding - visiting Wykeham Forest in search of Honey Buzzards and Goshawks (although this may be a bit hit and miss as I haven't been given quite enough gen on it)., and then I'll be meeting up with Birdforum's very own Andrew Kinghorn to go in search of Long-eared Owls. Should be good fun.

Good birding to you all and will speak when I return,

Joseph

Was that a subtle piece of constructive criticism aimed in my direction, Andrew. :-O I'm sure if I was up to date the interest would increase in my blog. :t:

I was simply commenting on what I thought my readers wanted based on what I have done in the past. I got so many people to follow my blog by making short posts that had key information in, I also try to make it humerous however you can decide whether or not I am achieving this.;)

I personaly don't read long posts, not because they are bad or boring. I enjoy little short posts on blogs. I tend to try and vary the content to make it appealing to a wider audience instead of just one group of people. For example I won't just focus on rare birds I will also mention some interesting things about some of the commoner birds I see, therefore both twitchers and begginers can benefit from my blog.

Back from Fair Isle.
A great trip with 17 year ticks and one lifer.
Highlights included holding Storm Petrels and Puffins, ringing a baby fulmar, being bombed by the Bonxies and a Common Rosefinch.
Photos to come soon

Oh well still a great bird just gonna have to take it off my list :-O

Done another blog post so only a month behind now o:D

Going away to Crete for a week tomorrow so good luck with your birding everyone and please don't see anything rare while I'm away ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back