• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Insanely good pictures, Ash! You're an amazing photographer! ;)

So, just thought I'd ask, what birds are we all specifically targetting this year? Tricky birds that eluded you last year, birds known to reside in particular habitats/areas? I'll tell me you mine if you tell me your's.:-O

Duck Weekend

Its raining and even snowing here!

My target birds this weekend are 2 life ticks:
- Green-winged Teal - Northumberland
- American Wigeon - Dumf & Gallow

I hope I see one of the two or both! :t:

Best of luck Andrew with those ducks! The American Wigeon at Caeverolock has been showing well lately so you should get that. ;)

Insanely good pictures, Ash! You're an amazing photographer! ;)

So, just thought I'd ask, what birds are we all specifically targetting this year? Tricky birds that eluded you last year, birds known to reside in particular habitats/areas? I'll tell me you mine if you tell me your's.:-O
Thank you:t:, and dunno....
Going to try Seawatching this year, so any shearwaters/petrels (albatrosses:-O)
Oh, forgot to mention, Water Rail in our garden this week, strange garden tick:-O

Last edited:
Returned from a great week in the south of france over half term and am slowly getting used to the fact that I'm back to spending each day in an institution which is slowly crushing the individual out of every one of us and producing a nice pasty fluid of conformity to feed the multinationals...

On the plus side the week provided me with the opportunity to do a little bit of birding with the highlights being lifers in the form of several (annoyingly) brief sightings of blue rock thrush and a lovely flock of very confiding alpine accentors. circa ∞ yellow legged gulls and bushes packed with serins, blackcaps and tits including crested were also majorly enjoyable. Unfortunately never got into the mountains for choughs, eagles or anything of the sort and my daily checking of the nearby cliffs only provided crag martins and the odd peregrine, no wallcreepers!

I may try for the dusky warbler which i was away for (grrrrrrrr) tomorrow or a waxwing seen in finchley today and yesterday. Other than that it looks like its going to be a pleasant weekend of coursework :|. Good luck to all those out birding this weekend.

Well done reece one of my big target species to see this year I might try going to see it next weekend if it's still around. Does your dad have any directions I could have please?

Uploaded a trip report from my weekend in wales on my blog if anyone wishes to take a look. Comments are always much appreciated.

It's March, the daffodils have started flowering and I've realised how I've wasted a good bit of the year. The Spring and Summer better be bloomin' good.

Last edited:
I have quite a few bird to aim for this year.
I am hoping to get some seabirds while seawatching in Cornwall in August, I will be staying in Sennen so near all the good sights down there!! (Sabine's gull, Grey[red] Phalarope, Leach's and Wilson's Storm Petrels,Albatross! all lifers)
I am also hoping for Cirl Bunting(lifer). My Bogey bird is probably Green woodpecker and Sabine's gull. With the Woodpecker I have seen Loads but always a distant view, or a a lone bird flying into the sunset...

I have quite a few bird to aim for this year.
I am hoping to get some seabirds while seawatching in Cornwall in August, I will be staying in Sennen so near all the good sights down there!! (Sabine's gull, Grey[red] Phalarope, Leach's and Wilson's Storm Petrels,Albatross! all lifers)
I am also hoping for Cirl Bunting(lifer). My Bogey bird is probably Green woodpecker and Sabine's gull. With the Woodpecker I have seen Loads but always a distant view, or a a lone bird flying into the sunset...
Sennen is a very good place, close to all the west cornwall valleys and good sea watching spots (Porthgwarra and Pendeen). you might even get some early migrants around. Good luck (in advance)

Last edited:
Sennen is a very good place, close to all the west cornwall valleys and good sea watching spots (Porthgwarra and Pendeen). you might even get some early migrants around. Good luck (in advance)
Hopefully. Not the best but Melodious and Icterine warblers, Aquatic warbler, Wryneck and Ortlan Bunting i have heard are specialities in August. I amalso hopingfo SpottedCrake at Marazion

Hopefully. Not the best but Melodious and Icterine warblers, Aquatic warbler, Wryneck and Ortlan Bunting i have heard are specialities in August. I amalso hopingfo SpottedCrake at Marazion
Yeah not mega's but good birds regardless. You never know, 1 week in October 2008 3 firsts for Cornwall, Alder Flycatcher, Common Nighthawk and Bobolink!:eek!:
Wheatears, Sand Martins and Osprey reported over the last week or so. Hope I get Wheatear on the weekend.

First Wheatear (2+) today!

Your first of the year? If so that's well cool! Where did you see them? And can I ask, you know how you've got a reactions bar below your posts. How do you get that?

Anyway, I am glad to say that I am FINALLY up to date with my blog, having just my three most recent birding trips. God, I was behind for so long. Now I can at least write things a day or two after they take place rather than write about things that happened a month ago. The latest entry includes info on my sightings of Iceland Gull, the birds at Forfar Loch, and Waxwings. If you'd like to read more, please click on the link to my blog. Comments are much appreciated. :t: Blogspot's messed up with its posts though. Its leaving no spaces between paragraphs, which makes posts look sloppy, particularly my most recent one. Why does it have to be so faulty?

Cheers,

Joseph

Last edited:
Your first of the year? If so that's well cool! Where did you see them? And can I ask, you know how you've got a reactions bar below your posts. How do you get that?
Yes, first for the year, I saw them at St.Gothian Sands LNR, Gwithian (If that means anything to you)
What do you mean a reactions bar?
I don't see anything, apart from my signature????
how strange:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back