• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Ah I forgot to mention it was on your blogspot. Stupid me! You know below where you click to see the comments and the label? It says Reactions here, giving the reader options to tick boxes saying 'Excellent', 'Good' and 'Average. Do you know what I mean now? :-O

Ah I forgot to mention it was on your blogspot. Stupid me! You know below where you click to see the comments and the label? It says Reactions here, giving the reader options to tick boxes saying 'Excellent', 'Good' and 'Average. Do you know what I mean now? :-O

I know what you mean, Joseph. Go to the 'layout' page. Then click on 'edit' in the 'blog posts' box. There you can tick a box for reactions and other stuff.

Hi everone , hope you all have had a good birding weekend , just to let you know to kill of a very boring afterrnoon i have done yet another post on my blog , its called " My top 20 in Kent " just for abit of fun really , please feel free to check it out and as usual all comment s are very welcome :t::t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

I see what you mean, see Bills post

new post on the blog
slavonian grebe, great northern diver,smew, waxwing, little egret, barnicle geese and iceland gull in 10 hours constant birding. some half decent pics.............
MB

Has anyone else seen any spring migrants yet?

i know a few have wintered in my patch area, but i believe i had my first returning blackcap(though not a year first on the patch) on the patch last sunday.
and like the usual returning spring one's, it is mega elusive, most of the time deep in a bed of nettles.:t:

no proper spring migrants though..
MB

Haven't seen any spring migrants here yet. The first I see tend to be sand martins. Can't wait to see my first spring migrants, whatever they are. It's been a long winter and I feel like its almost time for the flip flops to come out of the cupboard again.

I guess I'm expecting to see a Wheatear at Girdleness in the next couple of weeks, and maybe Sandwich Tern and Sand Martin. If not I'll see them in Portland in less than a month's time.

To answer my own question, Ive had Wheatear so far and hoping for swallow either this week or next. 2 water Rail in our garden this morning. 1 scared up into one of our trees by next doors cat, funny to see it in a tree, wobbling a lot!
oh and we have blackcap (male and fem) visiting our garden daily.

Sorted out where i am headed tomorrow. I will head down to Hartlepool for Black Redstart and Ring -Necked Parakeet. then I will head over to Salthole for the Hooded Merganser. Not sure if I can tick it, as it is listed as 'Presumed escape', But that is only presumed soooooooo....

Not sure if I can tick it, as it is listed as 'Presumed escape', But that is only presumed soooooooo....

Having seen the bird myself I am sure its a wild bird. I have seen in twice, both back in 2009 and I believe it to be a wild bird. If it doesn't leave soon (May end of June) I would imagine it would not get accepted as a wild bird. I know that Pied-billed Grebe's in the past have stayed for years in the UK and have been accepted as birds of wild origin.

Hope you see it:t:

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew, I did see it. It is definatly unringed, and acting likea wild bird. Many birds have stayed for multi year periods, and wildfowl are notorious for it. Some birds are resident in the States, so if if finds a place with a good climate, plenty of food it could live for years at Saltholme (like the Radipole bird)

I feel like I have been neglecting this page, havent commented in ages! Since my last permit I have began to learn to ring and had some excellent views of various species including corn bunting and brambling in the hand :). In terms of migrants had nothing yet although I would expect the return of our local wheatears in the next week or two, BRING ON THE MIGRANTS :D

Daniel

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back