• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Hi everyone, i went down to norfolk today and went to titchwell and saw a blackcap, avocet, greenfinch, RED CRESTED POCHARD, gadwall, greenshank, skylark, brent, black tailed godwit, turnstone, eider, ruddy duck, little and great crested grebe, snipe and a few tufted duck

I had a fantastic final weekend before the dreaded return of school! Camping out in the woods with the sussex wildlife trust youth council, I saw/heard Tawny Owl, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler and, best of all, a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker! these are an absolute mega these days in sussex! I also saw 3 Roe Deer and hundreds of Fallow. At Pulborough Brooks RSPB today, great views of Nightingale, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Shoveler, Shelduck, Teal, Wigeon and two escaped Snow Geese! There were displaying Lapwings, and the Shelduck couldn't go five minutes without beating each other up! And Finally, to tp off a great day, news broke of a Bonaparte's Gull at Arlington Reservoir. It was a fantastic adult in summer plumage, and accompanied 15+ Little Gulls, while Great Crested Grebes courted each other.

Had a pretty good weekend birding in the UK and got my brit yr list up to around 95. I also nearly had a heart attack when i was scanning the local Canada geese and turned up a Barnacle goose.... but i found out later it was a feral bird that had been around now and then for three years:C

Mopped up quite a few migrants such as Willow warbler, Chiffchaff, Wheatear, Swallow, House martin and Sand Marin. A few goodys were seen such as Redstart, Med gulls ( i now know there call ), Ringed plover and Tree pipit. o:D

just some advice for those people who wish to be 'serious birders' and do what their body is telling them...

It Doesn't Work!!!!!!!:eek!:

After sleeping under the stars on Saturday night, or rather laying under the stars unable to get to bloody sleep, I was understandably quite shattered. I then went birding to Pulborough, and when news of a Bonie Gull at Arlington Reservoir broke, dad and I made a speedy dash over there. Having successfully seen it I felt nothing on earth could top it, and that the day had 'reached its peak'. What harm, then, would a well-earned sleep do? As a result, I collapsed from exhaustion at four in the afternoon and woke again at eight, during which time a Subalpine Warbler had been seen locally, and then disappeared. Then today, that annoyingly crap institutional prison for youths, a.k.a school;), hampered by hopes of going for a look until now, by which time negative news has already broke of its vanishing act! :-C

The moral of the story...

don't go to sleep until it is too dark to see through your Binoculars!:-O

I come out when its dark a lot of the time, birders are coming in and I am going out!:-O Got pairs of LEO's and BO's round my way.:t:

nice one, sadly Barn Owls are pretty rare around me, and the one likely breeding site for LEO's also happens to be the most remote corner of southern england, two miles of twisting paths through a wood onto some chalk heathland, navigated in pitch darkness, and even then last time my dad and I attempted it all we saw was a Fox and a Tawny Owl! One night I will sleep out there, but I think I'll have to brainwash my parents first!;)

Hi everyone , i have had a couple of days of work and went to Arlington today for the Bonapartes and also a sea watch at Dungeness , had a really nice day out and have updated my blog if anyone fancys a look and of course any comments are always appreciated :t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

We've dragged a Kent birder accross the boundary, we must have something pretty darn good!;)

while sfting through some photos taken at Pulborough Brooks RSPB the other day, I found a Black-tailed Godwit, a species I didn't even know I had seen that day! Not a year tick, but still a nice little surprise to keep my spirits up in the face of the long hours of birdless revision I fear await me!
IMGP1168.jpg

Hi everyone just nipped out to brockholes for the whimbrel count, but when i got there, there was a ashey headed wagtail so i saw that. there was about 96 whimbrel at brockholes.
oh yeh i met zac aswell

nice shots of the RRSwallows Rob. I had a fantastic morning at Splash Point today, a constant stream of terns, mainly Sandwich and Common but 150+Arctic Tern identified, and 8 Little and 4 Black Tern. Also 6 Bonxies and 11 Arctic Skuas, 100+ Little Gulls, 60+ Bar-tailed Godwit and a similar number of Whimbrel, 2 Shoveler, 2 Pintail, 50+ Common Scoter and Brent Geese, 1/possibly 2 pale-bellied Brents, 4 Avocet, 2 Curlew, 1 Black-throated Diver, 1 Great Crested Grebe and a displaying pair of Rock Pipits and the raucous cries of 700 or so Kittiwakes on the cliffs!

nice shots of the RRSwallows Rob. I had a fantastic morning at Splash Point today, a constant stream of terns, mainly Sandwich and Common but 150+Arctic Tern identified, and 8 Little and 4 Black Tern. Also 6 Bonxies and 11 Arctic Skuas, 100+ Little Gulls, 60+ Bar-tailed Godwit and a similar number of Whimbrel, 2 Shoveler, 2 Pintail, 50+ Common Scoter and Brent Geese, 1/possibly 2 pale-bellied Brents, 4 Avocet, 2 Curlew, 1 Black-throated Diver, 1 Great Crested Grebe and a displaying pair of Rock Pipits and the raucous cries of 700 or so Kittiwakes on the cliffs!

Hi LIam , thanks , thats what i call a really good seawatch , well done :t:

http://robs-birding.blogspot.com/

I have finally got round to doing a report for the Easter Holidays on my blog. It includes details of 2 Lifers, 4 County Ticks and 25 Yearticks so take a look if you want to find out where they are. Comments appreciated as always.

White Stork from my school

This morning, looking at the Common and Alpine Swifts I saw a very large bird, it wasn't a gull and it had black on the wings, I can't still belive it!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back