• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Young Birders Yearlist Challenge (1 Viewer)

gropperwinch

sorry anyone in a huge panic, I actually meant Black Duck (at RSPB Conwy), but was very tired when typing. Brief bit of birding triv though, there was a Black Scoter in the same area from 2005-2007. Anyway, saw neither of them. I slightly overestimated, I only got six year ticks, which put me onto 162. However, these included Chough and Pied Flycatcher, both lifers (take me to 555), and Puffin, Redstart, Wood Warbler and Black Guillemot. A lot of the stuff I had hoped to see but didn't, such as Whinchat, Ring Ouzel, Redpoll and Greenshank, is stuff I can see locally fairly easily come autumn hopefully, so by the end of the year it should all be on my list anyway

updating again, and little change, but I have at least clawed my way back into 10th for now, and Adin is out of joint seventeenth and now in joint sixteenth!:t:

1st) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 213 species
2nd) Canadagurl123 (Canada) - 197 species
3rd) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 192 species
4th) Muddy Turnstone (Sweden) - 189 species
5th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 187 species
5th) Kinghorn the bird brain (Durham, GB) - 187 species
7th) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 181 species
8th) Halcon (Spain) - 177 species
9th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) -169 species
10th) Gropperwinch (sussex, GB) - 162 species
11th) AlexGuthrie (Angus, GB) - 159 species
12th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) -155 species
13th) SimmoJunior (London, GB) - 135 species
14th) CreamColouredCourser (GB) -130 species
15th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 129 species
16th) ausmar (Malta) - 127 species
16th) Adin92 (Malta) -127 species
17th) Robin jack (Italy) - 126 species
19th) Middy24 (Northumberland, GB) - 114 species
20th) Loufish (London, GB) - 112 species
21st) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 110 species
21st) Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 110 species
23rd) Alexjh1 (Northants, GB) - 105 species
24th) Cnocell (GB) - 83 species
25th) tjbirdofprey (Spain) - 64 species
26th) nrg800 (Australia) - 42 species
27th) PeterFisher13 (Merseyside, GB) - 32 species
28th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 28 species
29th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 21 species
30th) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

Muddy Turnstone

Young birder
Hmm... I counted my species from my twitch list today and I discovered the fact that I have forgotten my little trip to Skane... This means my yearlist was 195...

And with my new ones today, Black-headed bunting and Turtle dove, it goes to 197! |:D|

louisfh

On 119 After a couple of additions from a brief trip down to Dungeness, saw the purple herons and 2 manx shearwater but there was very little going on really.

Joseph N

Lothian Young Birder
Good going folks, especially louis on seeing the Purple Herons and Liam on seeing Chough and some other nice birds. Getting very excited for Norfolk/Suffolk now, what will all the specialities I could see, the Trumpeter Finch and other scarcities like Marsh Warbler, Red-backed Shrike and Bluethroat. I can just imagine those that are already there like Andrew and creamcolouredcourser are having an unbelievably good time! I'm interested to see how I will do in comparison to Andrew, what with us being literally head to head right now. ;) I'm going to be leaving tommorow evening late on, so this is my last post before I go. My aim when I get back from the trip is to get over 200 species, which should be achievable with the run of decent birds in Suffolk and Norfolk recently as well as the amount of other birds that aren't so scarce down there that you don't get up here!

Good birding to you all, and will eagerly look forward to see how those who have been in Norfolk recently did as well as those that have been elsewhere when I get back!

Joseph

Hi all, Returned from a ... BRILLIANT ... Holiday to Norfolk/Suffolk, with many yearticks and afew, just afew lifers:t: . I Was with the first group of people to attend the TRUMPETER FINCH twitch, with the little stunner fed comfortably between two lines of twitchers and the sea on the shingle at Cley. My next Lifer came in the form of a large BoP with a flock of Buzzards today, looking like a small eagle... but lets wait for what's said about that, shall we(Not just seen by me, my dad and younger siblings saw it)? That was on my way through the area where it had been seen, heading to Welney. Arrived at Welney looking for the White Spotted Bluethroat.Arrived had lunch and headed on to the reserve, passing someone telling us that 'if your after the Bluethroat, hurry up as it was displaying down to 5 feet. We hurried up but missed the bird by 5 minuites. When we arrived at Lyle's hide we got told that we had just missed it, some people had came along and tape lured the bird, and it had been showing brilliantly, showed us a photo, but when they had gone so had it. The man who showed us the photo filled us in on some info about this particular bird, telling us where it had last been seen too, so if he is on here, thank you.
Everyone presumed the bird would be worn out and not sing again for a while. Just as we were leaving He popped back up, gave us a a short melody, giving amazing views before diving back into the reeds:t:

gropperwinch

163 for me with some two male Nightjars showing brilliantly in a clearing in a local wood. Well done Birdig maniac, I've been looking at all the messages on Birdguides the last few days with increasing envy towards you and the others, some fantastic birds!

1st) Birding Maniac (Durham, GB) - 213 species
2nd) Canadagurl123 (Canada) - 197 species
2nd) Muddy Turnstone (Sweden) - 197 species
4th) Robert Williamson (Norfolk, GB) - 192 species
5th) Joseph N (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 187 species
5th) Kinghorn the bird brain (Durham, GB) - 187 species
7th) Zac Hinchcliffe (Lancashire, GB) - 181 species
8th) Halcon (Spain) - 177 species
9th) Jonny721 (Lancashire, GB) -169 species
10th) Gropperwinch (sussex, GB) - 163 species
11th) AlexGuthrie (Angus, GB) - 159 species
12th) Ash1456 (Cornwall, GB) -155 species
13th) SimmoJunior (London, GB) - 135 species
14th) CreamColouredCourser (GB) -130 species
15th) Midlands Birder (Midlands, GB) - 129 species
16th) ausmar (Malta) - 127 species
16th) Adin92 (Malta) -127 species
17th) Robin jack (Italy) - 126 species
19th)Loufish (London, GB) - 119 species
20th) Middy24 (Northumberland, GB) - 114 species
21st) Billsbirding (Surrey, GB) - 110 species
21st) Geth (Glamorgan, GB) - 110 species
23rd) Alexjh1 (Northants, GB) - 105 species
24th) Cnocell (GB) - 83 species
25th) tjbirdofprey (Spain) - 64 species
26th) nrg800 (Australia) - 42 species
27th) PeterFisher13 (Merseyside, GB) - 32 species
28th) Maltese Falcon (Malta) - 28 species
29th) The Seagull (Aberdeenshire, GB) - 21 species
30th) UtahnBirder (Utah, USA) - 9 species

sorry BM but I haven't pdated you yet as you didn't mention how many yearticks you added?

Last edited:

Mark Newsome

Born to seawatch...
...Arrived at Welney looking for the White Spotted Bluethroat.Arrived had lunch and headed on to the reserve, passing someone telling us that 'if your after the Bluethroat, hurry up as it was displaying down to 5 feet. We hurried up but missed the bird by 5 minuites. When we arrived at Lyle's hide we got told that we had just missed it, some people had came along and tape lured the bird, and it had been showing brilliantly, showed us a photo, but when they had gone so had it. The man who showed us the photo filled us in on some info about this particular bird, telling us where it had last been seen too, so if he is on here, thank you.

Birding maniac, you shouldn't be thanking this person. You should really be pointing out that his actions are totally wrong. Tape luring a singing male bird on territory is totally against the birdwatchers code of conduct - "The welfare of the bird must always come first". Anyone seeing this going on should not just turn a blind eye or say how nice their photos are, but should challenge the people involved.
It is stressful for the bird - who's to say that somebody else doesn't come along every hour to do the same - and there is no need at all to do it just for a photo when others have been getting stunning shots by just using a little patience.

Last edited:

Birding Bob

Robert Williamson
Birding maniac, you shouldn't be thanking this person. You should really be pointing out that his actions are totally wrong. Tape luring a singing male bird on territory is totally against the birdwatchers code of conduct - "The welfare of the bird must always come first". Anyone seeing this going on should not just turn a blind eye or say how nice their photos are, but should challenge the people involved.
It is stressful for the bird - who's to say that somebody else doesn't come along every hour to do the same - and there is no need at all to do it just for a photo when others have been getting stunning shots by just using a little patience.

I totally agree with this! I was going to comment on it last night but it was late and I couldn't think what to say.

Hi, no i think I phrased that wrong, he was not involved with the tape luring, he did not do it either. The people who did, came and went before us, while he had stayed. Apparently, they just came and did it.

I honestly disagree with tape luring ect and was thanking that guy for showing us where it had last been seen. I felt much better seing it naturally than if I had seen it after being lured. Sorry about the confusion.

Jonny721

Heya guys just a brief post as I've got internet connection for abit down here in Dorset. Having a great trip but still no where near any of you lot near the top. 12 yearticks so far: Arctic Skua, Turtle Dove, Manx Shearwater, Fulmar, Cuckoo, Whinchat, Green Woodpecker, Spoonbill, Little Tern, Shag and the best 2, Dartford Warbler (lifer) and Nightjar (lifer) o:D still got a few more trips planned and want to get a couple more lifers before I head home on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone with their birding and I'll post some photos on my blog soon from the week:t:

rokermartin

I honestly disagree with tape luring ect and was thanking that guy for showing us where it had last been seen. I felt much better seing it naturally than if I had seen it after being lured. Sorry about the confusion.
It's a very controversial subject tape luring.I have been on lots of birdwatching holidays abroad and many of the leaders use tapes to lure birds.Especially for species which are known to be very difficult to see .I was in Finland a few years ago and went to an area where Wrynecks breed.Our leader played the tape for about a minute or so then stopped.Shortly afterwards a Wryneck started calling.Our leader played the tape again for a minute.The Wryneck appeared in a tree not far away and it showed very well. Another time i was in Norway and we were looking for Ptarmigan our leader played the tape for a minute or so and a Ptarmigan started calling and it few towards us and landed a few feet away.Leaders on these holidays never over use tapes many birders who use them do.I was in Norfolk years ago and a Thrush Nightingale was singing in very dense Hawthorn scrub and it wasn't showing .One very well known birder told his mate to play his tape.He must have left the tape on for a good 5 minutes before stopping it.The Thrush Nightingale was getting very agitated and stressed it's song seemed to have been getting louder trying to compete against the tape.On this occasion tape luring didn't work the bird didn't show it just caused unwanted stress for the bird.My view it's best to see birds without tape luring.But i dont think there is any harm in using tapes if they are not over used.

Last edited:

Halcon

barcelona birder
Heya guys just a brief post as I've got internet connection for abit down here in Dorset. Having a great trip but still no where near any of you lot near the top. 12 yearticks so far: Arctic Skua, Turtle Dove, Manx Shearwater, Fulmar, Cuckoo, Whinchat, Green Woodpecker, Spoonbill, Little Tern, Shag and the best 2, Dartford Warbler (lifer) and Nightjar (lifer) o:D still got a few more trips planned and want to get a couple more lifers before I head home on Saturday.

Good luck to everyone with their birding and I'll post some photos on my blog soon from the week:t:
Here goes my 8th place:-C:flyaway::storm:

gropperwinch

cool, I'll look out for all you down there! I'll be with two middle-aged guys, one with very short black hair (my dad) and one with whitish air and glasses (dad's birding friend) and like the rest of you I'll probably stick out like a sore thumb!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread