• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young crow - what to feed it? (1 Viewer)

VegGirl

Hi,
I have just brought back an injured young crow to my home. He is not a baby but I am sure he is still young as he is small and fluffy. I have identified that the problem is it's right leg is slightly bent. The crow hasn't learnt to fly yet. He is extremely perky though and I am hopeful he will recover. He wouldn't drink water from a bowl so I fed it to him trhough a saringe. He was really thirsty and had loads. I am now wondering what to feed him. I offered him a live worm but he showed no interest. Is there something I could liquidise and feed through a saringe for him?
Thanks for the help! x

I would get it to a Vet or a rescue centre ASAP. Judging by the Crows in my garden, wet bread is a fed to young quite often so it might do as a stop gap (the Adults take all they can carry when they have chicks).

Remember that Corvids can become used to humans quite quickly. I know that Magpies released after being looked after can look for human company. They land on people expecting to be fed, which is fun for some people and terrifying for others.

Wait for a reply with specific advice on what exactly to feed; treat my advice about bread as a guess.

Thankyou for your reply,

My mum insisted on feeding him egg which he didn't take to at all. Infact I am worried that it has made him iller. Since after he tried it he went all floppy, currently he is lying down with his eyes closed, I think he is probably sleeping. His breathing is still good and frequent though. I will try feeding him when he wakes up.

Until someone else replies, have a read here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=76466

There's some general advice that might help.

It's worth mentioning that birds do recover from leg injuries, unless they get an infection. If the bird has an infection it must have antibiotics, which is why I suggested a Vet. Anyway, have a read and someone else might have replied by the time you finish reading.

i used to have a jackdaw that somone found and bought to me as a youngster which i fed mainly on dog food which it seemed to love and grew into a healthy although some what tame adult that was a memeber of the family as much as a cat or dog although having said that i would'nt recomend it.

VegGirl, assuming you come back, keep us updated on the Crow; I for one would be interested to know how it turns out.

Hi there please can anyone help me out I found a baby crow has a poorly wing n refuses to eat but iv been saringe feeding with baby bird food n milk with mushed up mince meat in. Can anyone help me with what it should be eating? I’m quite happy to look after him just want to get his weight n strength back up please help

Hi Sami and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Do try and get some professional advice and please let us know how you get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back