• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your experience of latest version SLC 10x40 (1 Viewer)

SeldomPerched

Your experience of latest version SLC 10x42 HD

An idle, computer-based day today after enjoying equally leisurely days of birdwatching in the garden in these quieter times of less traffic and seemingly more birdsong. And my mind turning dangerously to thoughts of a higher magnification binocular....

Roger Vine gives a big thumbs up on Scope Views to the latest Swarovski SLC 10x42 HD. Lighter than the 8 for a start and pretty much as compact as a Leica. But of course he is more of an astro man.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro10x42SLCHD.htm

Who has these and what are your thoughts? I'm all for lighter weight and in this case am not interested in EL as I have a fantastic 10x50 EL FP (quite light for the format) for when I need 10x flat field and extra light gathering. Image quality? Ergonomics? -- I don't have big hands. Colour style? 3-d effect, immersiveness? And most importantly just the subjective experience in practical use. Perhaps most of all I'd like to know about balance in the hand (the bigger ELs are a bit front heavy), focusing ease, and ease of view.

Many thanks. I have no practical experience of SLCs. Price while always important shouldn't be part of this discussion; just the features, pros and cons of the instrument.

Tom

Last edited:

Canip

I happen to own the latest SLC 10x42, and while I do not always agree with Roger Vine‘s findings, I fully concur with his quite enthusiastic review of the SLC

I wrote the following summary description of the 10x42 in another context:

„ The SLC is Swarovski’s “second tier” line of binoculars, with models in sizes 8×42, 10×42, 8×56, 10×56 and 15×56. But as you would expect with Swarovski, “second tier” doesn’t mean compromises on either optics or mechanics. Differences to Swarovski’s flagship EL Swarovision are rather marginal in most areas; the largest may be the slower focuser and the fact that the image is not as flat-field as in the ELs. Also, the image of the SLC may just be a tad less bright – something you may only notice in a side-by-side comparison -, and the eye relief is a bit less generous. But otherwise, the SLC is one of the best choices if you are looking for excellent optical and mechanical performance but don’t want to spend the kind of money needed for an EL SV or Zeiss Victory. It is also more compact and lighter than the EL SV. Early samples had much discussed issues with the evenness or even stickiness of the focuser (something Roger Vine seems to omit in his otherwise excellent review of the SLC 10×42) or sounds coming from the focusing mechanism, and I had to claim service from Swarovski in one case. Still, the 10×42 SLC, and even more the 8×42 model, are two of my favourite general purpose binoculars.“

In my eyes, the SLC offers overall even a better optical performance than the same size Conquest HD or UV HD+, both of which are very good and which I like quite much. But you will have to try for yourself, everybody‘s eyes are different.

Canip

SeldomPerched

Thank you, Canip. To me this is convincing praise as I have an Ultravid HD Plus (in 7, not 10) and always love the view and character. I will try when i can or risk an online purchase if I decide to go ahead - which I think I will, despite telling myself i definitely wouldn't (but that was earlier today!) as the dealer concerned has never let me down and can arrange a morning delivery.

Can you give me an idea how the colour looks to you, if possible compared against both the Leica and also an EL SV? I'm going to guess not quite as red-biased as the Leicas but also not as cool as the ELs. What about when we get into all that mystical 3D glow etc?! I like to believe in that even though the hard-headed optical boffs dismiss it scornfully!

Tom

Last edited:

SeldomPerched

I happen to own the latest SLC 10x42, and while I do not always agree with Roger Vine‘s findings, I fully concur with his quite enthusiastic review of the SLC

---- ---- Still, the 10×42 SLC, and even more the 8×42 model, are two of my favourite general purpose binoculars.“ ---- ----

In my eyes, the SLC offers overall even a better optical performance than the same size Conquest HD or UV HD+, both of which are very good and which I like quite much. But you will have to try for yourself, everybody‘s eyes are different.

Canip

I meant to ask you too if you have a moment to compare your 8 and 10x 42 HD SLCs: where it is you find the 8x even better, or is it simply a result of the different magnification sizes and their effect on shake and so on?

[email protected]

Supporter
I have had all the SV's and SLC's and if you have a 10x50 SV and you love it the 10x42 SLC is going to be a step down from the SV. I can understand wanting something lighter but stay with the SV's and get a 10x42 SV. The SLC doesn't not have as flat of a field as the SV nor does it have the sharp edges of the SV. You will never quite be satisfied with the SLC and you always be sorry you didn't get the SV. The SV is worth the little bit of extra money. In my experience SLC's are also more prone to problems with the focuser not being smooth and having uneven tension also.

SeldomPerched

I have had all the SV's and SLC's and if you have a 10x50 SV and you love it the 10x42 SLC is going to be a step down from the SV. I can understand wanting something lighter but stay with the SV's and get a 10x42 SV. The SLC doesn't not have as flat of a field as the SV nor does it have the sharp edges of the SV. You will never quite be satisfied with the SLC and you always be sorry you didn't get the SV. The SV is worth the little bit of extra money. In my experience SLC's are also more prone to problems with the focuser not being smooth and having uneven tension also.

Hi Dennis,

I know what you mean but I don't mind decreasing edge sharpness - I quite like the choice between flat field and the more Leica style of pincushion distortion for a more 3D effect...In using binoculars the ability to hold them still is among my top most important facets though I am happy to compromise when something really stunning comes along like the 10x50 EL SV you mention. But as Chuck advised me a while ago portability helps me lean towards one item rather than another a lot of the time for typical birding purposes and so I'm willing to give the SLC a go (which doesn't mean you can't say 'I told you so' a few months down the line, if I feel let down by the image quality). Somehow I think I will be OK with it especially as the chances with Swarovski are very high that the adjustment and collimation will be spot on.

Tempting fate, I know!

Tom

Last edited:

jgraider

You'll love the SLC's. They are a fantastic bino. Take some comments with a grain of salt, as some folks change binos more than they do underwear.......

SeldomPerched

You'll love the SLC's. They are a fantastic bino. Take some comments with a grain of salt, as some folks change binos more than they do underwear.......

I wish I were that good a salesman!

Might be rushing into something but have just pulled the trigger on this purchase, got £50 off - not a lot but better than the free cleaning kit and bird book that I already have.

Will let you know how I get on. Very excited as the good weather / high pressure are forecast to continue most days for some time to come and there is a lot to see without even venturing beyond the walls. We are in fact allowed out for one form of exercise a day: a run, a bike ride or a walk, so all things considered that's pretty reasonable as long as everyone keeps their 6'6" distance.

Any more comments on the SLCs will still be much appreciated; and fingers crossed these will fit me as well as I expect they will.

Other people's perceptions of colour will interest me as not everyone sees that the same way.

Tom

Last edited:

14Goudvink

I have always liked the SLC's. One thing to check if it suits you is focus speed. The 10x42 SLC has a slow focusser.

George

Canip

I meant to ask you too if you have a moment to compare your 8 and 10x 42 HD SLCs: where it is you find the 8x even better, or is it simply a result of the different magnification sizes and their effect on shake and so on?

Yes, mostly that, and my overall preference of the 8x42 format over 10x42.

Canip

Can you give me an idea how the colour looks to you, if possible compared against both the Leica and also an EL SV? I'm going to guess not quite as red-biased as the Leicas but also not as cool as the ELs. What about when we get into all that mystical 3D glow etc?!.....
Tom

No 3D glow for me. This is a roof prism binocular, and as the distance between the objectives measured sideways is about the same as your IPD, any 3D effect has more to do with perception than reality (yes, I know, perception IS reality ;), maybe I should have said „imagination“?)

For me, the color bias of the SLC is quite cool, almost as cool as in the EL SV, much cooler than the warm Leica. Crisp, clear, sharp, contrasty and cool image.

Canip

[email protected]

Supporter
Every time I tried an SLC it wasn't long that I was trading them in for an SV. I just prefer sharper edges and less distortion personally and I always missed that bigger FOV that the SV has. That 10 foot close focus on the SLC versus the 4 foot on the SV can be a deal breaker for some birder's that like to look at birds close up also. And as George says above the SLC has a considerably slower focuser than the SV which is not as suitable for birding. IMO the SLC is targeted more for hunter's and the SV is aimed more at birder's. I have moved away from Swarovski's on to greener pasture's anyway.

Last edited:

SeldomPerched

I'll let you all know how I get on with the SLCs very soon. As you can guess I'm not able to try before buying at the moment even though the shop they are coming from is only half an hour's drive away. I know they can be returned if they don't suit (but my guess is they will).

Thank you for advice, both for and against.

Tom

Arielelf

I have the current 10x42 SLC and my Wife has the 10x50 EL SV along with the Nikon EII 8x30 for the spring and summer birding season. She would gladly let me buy the 10x50 EL SV or the 10x42 version if I wanted it but, not because we make a lot of money, we don't, just because we love birding that much!!

Anyway, I much prefer the SLC to her 10x50 EL SV. The size is so much nicer and the handling is fantastic. The Rubber coating is amazingly grippy without feeling too rubbery. I even prefer the view slightly better from the SLC. The SLC colors seem slightly richer and more crystalline to me and I seem to notice a bit more 3d pop, but maybe it's in my head.
The only thing I don't like about them is the stupidly slow focusing that becomes a pain during Warbler season.

SeldomPerched

SLC 10x42 HD has arrived already

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. Having now received the binos - only minutes more than 24 hours after placing an order - I am in a position to give my initial thoughts on the SLC 10x42 HD. Suffice it to say that they have already been given a short field trial and also turned on to some objects in the house that are a good test of a binocular's aesthetic qualities.

I appreciate everyone's advice and am happy to find my own initial experience ties in well with it. It could be that it is wiser to delay putting up my findings till more experience has been gained; on the other hand while off work and feeling generally relaxed I think my first very positive impressions are compelling. No doubt this is partly due to the fact that British weather, since the start of the quarantine period, has been unusually dry and stable for this time of year, April usually being noted for extremes and unpredictability.

So, after doing a few jottings and arranging my basket of happy thoughts into some sort of order, I promise to post an account of my findings within a very short while. It will be just that: an account, influenced by my mood and emotions and excitement at landing squarely on my feet with an untried object that could so easily have been a bad fit, too small or large for my hands or face, and on and so on, so if you are an optical scientist you will be sorely disappointed.

Tom

SeldomPerched

I have the current 10x42 SLC and my Wife has the 10x50 EL SV along with the Nikon EII 8x30 for the spring and summer birding season. She would gladly let me buy the 10x50 EL SV or the 10x42 version if I wanted it but, not because we make a lot of money, we don't, just because we love birding that much!!

Anyway, I much prefer the SLC to her 10x50 EL SV. The size is so much nicer and the handling is fantastic. The Rubber coating is amazingly grippy without feeling too rubbery. I even prefer the view slightly better from the SLC. The SLC colors seem slightly richer and more crystalline to me and I seem to notice a bit more 3d pop, but maybe it's in my head.
The only thing I don't like about them is the stupidly slow focusing that becomes a pain during Warbler season.

Having had a day to use the new SLC now my experience so far is just like yours. I am impressed by the solidity, compactness and high class finish and workmanship. The image is lovely - we did have great weather today and it did very well on my indoor test views of various ceramics -- all the colours and contours and glaze came up very attractively and detail was sharp yet as you say 3D. I can see why you might like this in preference to the 10x50 EL SV. Thank you for your thumbs up on this binocular.

Tom

PS. I have added a rather long account/review of the SLC in a separate thread on this Swarovski forum if you have time to wade through it...

Last edited:

SeldomPerched

I'm so glad you like it!! I have yet to find another bin that I like better.
Enjoy it!

Yes, Arielelf, a bit of an unexpected treasure! Today is a rainy, dull day, so I'm looking forward to giving them a go in those conditions as well. Thank you for your comments.

Tom

SeldomPerched

Hi Dennis, I did go with the SLC and am pleased with it, despite the caution about the edges. Actually the outer field and edges were a nice surprise - a lot more useable than I expected. I will still keep the 10x50 EL SV though which is as you know a great glass.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread