• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your favorite bird family? (1 Viewer)

vulcanraven

My favorite bird family are corvids. I have always had a fascination with them. Ten years ago I went abroad to the UK and I remember seeing these beautiful ravens in the royal palace. They are intelligent (rivaling apes) and many of the species have learned to adapt to human habitats. We have a long history with them .

What are yours? If you don't have a favorite family, just list a species.

Tough choice! But I choose antbirds (Thamnophilidae). It's hard to say exactly why, although all my favorites tend to be small, skulky passerines. Antbirds are so diverse (over 200 species), restricted to my favorite biogeographic region (Neotropics), handsomely patterned in blacks/grays/browns with the occasional splash of red or blue, and most are a challenge and therefore a treat to see well. Many exhibit interesting behaviors, such as a few that attend army ant swarms to snap up fleeing insects, and I love how many will perch sideways on vertical branches. Most have a certain quality to their voices that evokes fond memories of the Amazon rainforest, where I first encountered antbirds.

runner-ups: wrens, antpittas, pittas, New World warblers, New World sparrows.

I don't have a single favourite family, rather a couple: Hornbills, Weavers, Barbets, Sunbirds, Babblers, Thrushes, Woodpeckers

Anything colourful (can I have Birds of Paradise) !

Probably Nectariniidae, lots of sunbirds, spiderhunters etc. in that one.

Corvids for me--alert, athletic, intelligent, with their eyes always on the main chance.

Last edited:
Hard to give just one, but I especially like chats, hummingbirds, sunbirds, bowerbirds, tanagers and kingfishers.

Last edited:
I love waders of all kinds, especially the smaller species. Beautiful, sometimes a challenge to identify which makes it fun, and often very confiding creatures. They have it all!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back