• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

A few months before the HMW bat volume there will be another interesting book on bats. But only with 300 species.

Marianne Taylor: Bats: An Illustrated Guide to All Species

https://www.nhbs.com/bats-an-illustrated-guide-to-all-species-book?bkfno=244818&ad_id=2946

Bats are so frustrating, even with good photos, many simply cannot be identified to species without a bat detector or in hand examination of the dentition.

I think this and the fact that they are often just a tiny dot, flying around at Mach 2, is why the appeal is relatively small among amateur naturalists?

I have a signed copy which I got at the Aberfeldy Watermill Bookshop. Not read it all yet just a few chapters but what I've read so far is very good! Nice photos too!
That's good to know Nicola - cheers. :t:Unfortunately I couldn't wait until Christmas so I ordered a copy today. Hopefully I'll be reading it with a nice glass of Red wine on Saturday after Wales beat the BoksB :)

Rich

Looking at Lynx facebook page it seems they are working on a new field guide to Cuba. I believe there is also people working on a Cuban title as part of the BOC book series.

Looking at Lynx facebook page it seems they are working on a new field guide to Cuba. I believe there is also people working on a Cuban title as part of the BOC book series.

I had a questionnaire from them asking which countries I would prioritise for their next publications, every country was on the list from what I could see so it won't be a collection that's finished in my lifetime!

According to the NHBS website in Sept 2019 Collins are producing a one volume field guide style "Birds of the World" (640pp 280 plates 25,000 illustrations covering 10,000 species) for £74.99. It's basically a collection of Norman Arlott's artwork from previous field guides he's done. I'm not a huge fan of his artwork but it should prove interesting!

Last edited:
I see NHBS list a couple more interesting books promised for 2019 -

Rebirding Rewilding Britain and its Birds by Benedict Macdonald (Pelagic Publishing) in March.
Red Coats and Wild Birds: How Military Ornithologists and Migrant Birds Shaped Empire by Kirsten A Greer (University of North Carolina Press) in May. The latter volume might be somewhat obscure for some but, as a former History teacher with an interest in SW Spain (where the garrison in Gibraltar produced a number of ornithologists of note) and whose maternal family served in the army for several generations (never rising above NCO rank), it promises to be a highlight of the year!

On a negative note, I see that the slimmed down 'British' version of the Collins guide (which I think would have been excellent for beginners based here) has been abandoned.

Phil Gregory's Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds book is not due until November now apparently. Pretty sure that when first announced it was due in June, then it was moved back to September. Unlikely to be published this year at all?

Shame as it was without a doubt the book I was looking forward to most this year. I find it odd that Helm are so quick to announce new titles, only for said titles to be pushed forward indefinitely (Birds of Argentina, Birds of Brazil, Birds of East Africa and Birds of Mongolia to name just a few).

Last edited:
………….... I find it odd that Helm are so quick to announce new titles, only for said titles to be pushed forward indefinitely (Birds of Argentina, Birds of Brazil, Birds of East Africa and Birds of Mongolia to name just a few).

Most likely a mix of being overly optimistic and trying to cut back potential competition. :-C

If that's the case that may be a misjudgement... IF lynx's blurb that at least some of the top 10 countries are in the works / scheduled to be among the next field guides published then Helms guides to Brazil and Argentina for example may find that the competition has beaten them to it...

I've said previosly somewhere else, that Lynx have all the artwork in place and I think we'll see a fairly rapid roll out of titles.

That Lynx posting about the top ten most wanted Lynx Field Guides included Australia and New Zealand amongst them, quite odd as there are already some 5 Australian Field Guides, the most recent from 2017, and New Zealand has a pretty good one.
I am cautiously optimistic that Phil Gregory's Birds of Paradise and Bowerbirds will appear later this year, they are now working on the proofs so that is a good sign

Users who are viewing this thread

Back