• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (1 Viewer)

Pallid Swift. Got to see the one that stayed a couple of weeks at Winterton on Sea in Norfolk on Tuesday morning. Given that it doesn't seem to have been reported again since, and the weather had turned bad enough to persuade any self-respecting migrant that maybe it was time to move on, I got a bit lucky there.

Manx shearwater- re-added to my list.
It was originally removed as we believed that we misidentified a shearwater after checking through photographs.

I recently went through the images again, and it turns out we didn’t check the correct album originally and we did in fact correctly identify the shearwater from the boat.

Edit- turns out the story is even more complicated, glad I managed to finally confirm that I had seen one though.

Last edited:
Australian Painted-snipe at Pitt Town Lagoon in Sydney yesterday.

View attachment 1546710

Having seen this stunning pic, so glad we didn't dip Austrslian Painted Snipe on this Oz/New Zealand trip! 😀

My last New Zealand Fernbird this morning. A day or so left on South Island before a boat trip & over 300 lifers so far.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20231204_081537~2.jpg
    20231204_081537~2.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Manx shearwater- re-added to my list.
It was originally removed as we believed that we misidentified a shearwater after checking through photographs.

I recently went through the images again, and it turns out we didn’t check the correct album originally and we did in fact correctly identify the shearwater from the boat.

Edit- turns out the story is even more complicated, glad I managed to finally confirm that I had seen one though.
+ Velvet scoter and canvasback- day after.

My most recent: a Vermilion Flycatcher! Not too rare of a bird, but I'd never spotted one before.
Saw one today, a deep orange one. I suspect I have seen the same bird a couple of times before down here in Mazatlán, Mexico but mistakenly thought it was a cardinal.

It looked exactly like this one through my binoculars:

Vermilion-Flycatcher.jpg

Five more lifers in Dubai this morning: Brown-necked Raven, Greater Hoopoe-lark, Cream-colored Courser, Black-crowned Sparrow-lark, and Arabian Green Bee-eater.

Edit: Make that six lifers. We went through our photos and discovered that one large flock of larks we saw were mostly Turkestan Short-toed Larks with a few Greaters mixed in. The latter wasn't new, but the former sure was!

Last edited:
A 12 year battle trying to connect with Green Winged Teal somewhere resulted in a victory for me today. The location was at Lunt Meadows, Lancashire, England and the date today. It is the most tedious bird I have ever attempted to twitch. I have never specfically been out twitching this species but they have been present on days I have visited Marshside and Martin Mere and I have detoured to see them on the way back from work etc.

Orange-fronted parakeets on our walk this morning. The locals say there were many of these here in Mazatlán decades ago. Then they became a rare sight (which Merlin app also indicates for this area ). But for whatever reason, we’ve spotted them often at the base of a leafy hill since the pandemic. Today was the first time seen up close through binoculars.

Generic web image of this pretty bird which captures how they looked through binoculars:

Orange-frontedParakeet3.jpg

Here they are as a crew of parakeets this morning - we counted about 12 of them:

IMG_3184.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back